precast concrete steps

SH_Canada

I've looked around but have yet to find an elegant (quick) way to create a pre/cast concrete landing and steps. Are people storing  objects in their library (one for 2 steps, another one for three steps, etc)

The quickest way I've found is to create a landing and stairs(not open risers, close bottom) and then set material to concrete, but in elevation view, you see the joining lines.

Is there a quicker way which looks good?

(I forgot to take off the nosing below)

image.thumb.png.e9ca3f9c1065d9b1646496a1d8c9b886.png

I have essentially used your method. Sometimes I will use soffits, set the bottom to 0", and can give them the exact rise/run that I want to. I make one for each step and then make them into an architectural block. I might change the layer they are on to my stair layer, etc., depending on where I need to display them later. This way they still show up as a solid in 3D views, ortho views, and such.

Whether I use your way or my other method just depends on what I need to show and how quick I'm trying to be.

Depending on the situation and on my mood, I will use either stairs, landings, or solids.  I usually use solids though.  

I suggest people really and truly familiarize themselves with the CAD tools, the various Move and Distribute tools, and the various Solid tools.  You can do those with primitives in a matter of seconds when you get good at them.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

thanks,  for showing the psolid way. One reason I try and use the stair/landing tools is because I find things change, and then if I use the psolids, I'd have to go in and change again.

one to three concrete steps with a landing and no railings are everywhere here. I think if I created three of them as psolids and added to by library, that just might be the best solution, or at least close enough

You can easily make a fully concrete stair set without the lines using the stair tool.

The key to not showing stringer lines is before you remove stringers set your below stringer height to a high number like 100 or so then remove stringers, set tread overhang and thickness to 0, closed risers, not open below and a quick change to all concrete in materials and good to go.  Save one to your library and just adjust on each plan.

Here is a rough picture as I did this on my phone from a screen grab but gives you the idea.

3C8C1737-3725-4052-89D5-716BC82059FF.jpeg

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, rgardner said:

The key to not showing stringer lines is before you remove stringers set your below stringer height to a high number like 100 or so then remove stringers, set tread overhang and thickness to 0, closed risers, not open below

Good tips.  You can however change the Height Below Tread after setting to No Stringers and Open Underneath will remove all lines whereas unchecking Open Underneath can leave some goofy Side Inset Lines until you change the Side Inset  to a positive value. 

5 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

You can however change the Height Below Tread after setting to No Stringers

Good to know you don’t have to make that change first now.  I wonder if this is a change in x13 that I didn’t notice.  I am pretty sure you did have to in x12.  But Really I have been doing it that way for a while as it used to be once you select no stringers the Height Below Tread option was grayed out so I haven’t tried.

If one really wants to model concrete steps accurately, you'll need to understand all of Chief's tools as well as your contractor's construction preferences. Many of my customers use site-built cast-in-place concrete steps with a tapered nosing. When / if I need to show the full meal deal, I'll start with Chief's stairs, then use a p-solid over top. A ramp or a railing wall can be used to show decent aluminum railing. Here' I've pulled back the p-solid concrete step to show Chief's stair underneath. This one uses a ramp for the railing. You can block some of these and add to the library, or you could make a warehouse plan file and copy stairs and other objects into that plan for future use.

image.thumb.png.38a45ba5e57f53f9e5facae6c00f5fdd.png

Here's the same concrete step showing an exposed aggregate tread similar to what's available from many precast suppliers.

image.thumb.png.bbcaedf1d7ee2d769eb7361d94b9a5e4.png

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

you could make a warehouse plan file and copy stairs and other objects into that plan for future use.

Yup.  I had thought of mentioning that in my video but totally forgot to.  Stairs can't be blocked and added to library so its either a warehouse plan or place off to the side in your template plan. 

12 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I think he meant his P-Solid Stair turned into a symbol.

M.

I wasn't trying to correct him.  Just agreeing with him.  Regardless of what Robert meant though....

It really helps to have those pre-configured stairs available for future use.  Most of the items we've discussed above (polyline solids, solids, landings, railings, etc.) can either be added directly to the library or blocked and added to the library.  Stairs on the other hand cannot.  I was just agreeing and highlighting this fact.  If you want to save pre-configured stairs you have to do so in either your template plan or in a warehouse plan.

Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

If you want to save pre-configured stairs you have to do so in either your template plan or in a warehouse plan.

This is exactly what I was referring to. Think of all the different types of stairs you may have made over the years. A decent way to access them is to place the ones you'd like to keep in a warehouse plan. Then, a simple camera overview can help you browse for the ones you'd like to use. This can be much simpler than going through all the settings in the stair dialog.

Summary; style pallets for stairs would be awesome.

I was also illustrating that a simple p-solid concrete step can be easily altered to a more complex shape. I used the solid subtraction tool, then exploded the faces to be able to change the tread material. Super quick. Using Chief's tools, you can also quickly model concrete steps including formed voids for accurate volume material takeoffs of a very complex shape. A handy thing if you are in close contact with the individual forming the step (which I did for myself when I was building steps). I do it for me, because I'm a caring person.

7 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I was also illustrating that a simple p-solid concrete step can be easily altered to a more complex shape. I used the solid subtraction tool, then exploded the faces to be able to change the tread material. Super quick. Using Chief's tools, you can also quickly model concrete steps including formed voids for accurate volume material takeoffs of a very complex shape.

Exactly some of the reason I like to use solids much of the time as well.  Did you watch my video? I think you and I work pretty similarly. 

15 hours ago, rgardner said:

You can easily make a fully concrete stair set without the lines using the stair tool.

I think though(based on other responses), if you need a concrete landing connected to those stairs, there is no way to get rid of the line connecting the stairs to the landing?

13 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

crafty way to get the riser angled an inch, and the use of the stretch plane is handy

most of exterior front entrance concrete stairs I do here are purely for regulatory compliance to show a "proper" elevation, as such, if it is close, it is good.

If I want the landing attached to the stairs, sounds like the way is the psolid converted to a symbol for reuse

merci

8 minutes ago, jasonN said:

I think though(based on other responses), if you need a concrete landing connected to those stairs, there is no way to get rid of the line connecting the stairs to the landing?

That is correct. An who cares about that line, really? No one else but you will notice it...probably:)

You probably noticed in Michael's video, but at least you can get rid of the angled 'stringer' line by setting a large stringer distance below the tread.

58 minutes ago, robdyck said:

You probably noticed in Michael's video, but at least you can get rid of the angled 'stringer' line by setting a large stringer distance below the tread.

To be fair, Ryan had already posted this tip.  I was just covering the basics on my way through my own tips.

1 hour ago, jasonN said:

Depends on what camera view you are looking at:

Quick rough PBR and model:

image.thumb.png.ae84843b9bb7c822cb61d8e7c4340821.png

vs. a Vector or any view with a line overlay:

image.thumb.png.b661ed2c7c76ce9f02a45b85e63f9a80.png

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Depends on what camera view you are looking at:

Quick rough PBR and model:

image.thumb.png.ae84843b9bb7c822cb61d8e7c4340821.png

vs. a Vector or any view with a line overlay:

image.thumb.png.b661ed2c7c76ce9f02a45b85e63f9a80.png

I almost always send my views to layout as Plot Lines so these particular types of issues are pretty easy to deal with in that regard.  I just have it on my to do list to go through and use the Edit Layout Lines tool to delete the few places those show up.  Or, sometimes I'll just mask them in layout so they're hidden even if I refresh the view.