cannot center a pile below a railing wall post

SH_Canada

I'm building a standalone car port with railing walls  generally following this:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01179/creating-an-attached-porch-or-carport.html

with 6x6 posts and 10" piles. All was good until I realized the 6x6 posts were offset 1" (my wall dimension is 20', edge of post to edge of post wa 20'2"). I adjusted the balluster offset from 0" to 1" and then it moved it inside as I want it, but now I cannot center a pile below it. I tried the "move" in elevation, no luk, I tried p2p, no puck, I turned off all snaps, no luck, it just keeps snapping back to not on center, in ortho I can move the direction away from centering.

I also have a manually placed post in the middle of the carport (that is another story, where I could not get the spacing more than 8')

It's like it s refusing to move the pile off center of the railing wall

Been at this for a good hour. Any ideas?

image.thumb.png.b28e5af25e0b027ba487bbc90a25be96.png

As you showed us in Preferences all of you object snaps are turned off. ??   Maybe place them on your side tool bar so you can keep better track of them.

If it will not snap to center of the post with center snaps turned on, you may need to post the plan fie

2 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

As you showed us in Preferences all of you object snaps are turned off. ??   Maybe place them on your side tool bar so you can keep better track of them.

I had them all on to begin with (and they are on my side tool bar) same behaviour. I figured turning off the snaping should allow me to place it at my will

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Turn center snaps back on and see if it will snap.

only way I can get it away from the wall is to use the cntrl key

iif I only out on object center sanos it is snapping to the center of the wall, but I want the center of the post, which is 5.5"

40 minutes ago, jasonN said:

But still, why the heck can't I put the pile where I want it....

I didn’t watch the video but I am guessing you are using the point load Pad footing tool which is tied to the center of the wall not the newel posts.  You can use them but you need to set your railing walls to the thickness of your posts for it to work properly.  You can still set your beam to whatever width and height you want on the rail panel of the wall dbx.

Other alternative is to set your walls to invisible and use the post with footing tool and manually place posts footings and beams so you have more control.

47 minutes ago, rgardner said:

I didn’t watch the video but I am guessing you are using the point load Pad footing tool which is tied to the center of the wall not the newel posts.

I'm using Build->slab->Round Pier

you are correct. I was incorrect in stating this:

"ok, so if I change the riling wall to 5.5" then it will work because the post is now the thickness of the wall."

It is as you indicate not related to the newel post (or even the manual post I have in the center of my wall)

if I change the railing wall to 5.5" then it will work because the pile now centers to the railing wall center, which is now the width of the post.

interestingly, it observes some other  rules...like the uncheck railiing wall in ALDO behaviour where the pile will vanish even though it claims it is on the foundation layer (when you click on it and it shows the layer in the bottom of the window)

i've seen this kind of ALDO behaviour before, just cannot remember where

Thanks all

2 hours ago, jasonN said:

I believe it is trying to snap to the wall, just dont know how to shut that off

That is working as designed.

Piers snap to centre of wall main layer - you can't change that behaviour.

8 hours ago, jasonN said:

i've seen this kind of ALDO behaviour before, just cannot remember where

It happens with tons of things that have their own layer controls but are essentially child objects:

• Pads/piers (parent object = wall)
  • Windows (parent object = wall)
  • Doors (parent object = wall)
  • Wall hatching (parent object = wall)
  • Hole in polyline solid (parent object = polyline solid)
  • Labels (parent object = any object with a label)
  • Items assigned to Distribution Paths and Regions (parent object = distribution path/region)

Also things that are a child object whose layers we can't specify like:

• Cabinet fixtures and appliances (parent object = cabinet)
  • Cabinet countertops (parent object = cabinet)
  • Opening Indicators (parent object = cabinet doors, windows, or doors)
  • Roof baselines (parent object = roof plane)
  • Footing Step Markers (parent object = footing)

....and the lists could each probably go on.

And just like Footing Step Markers there are a whole slew of other special layers like:

• Foundation layer (controls the 3D display of everything on Floor 0
  • Walls, Main Layer Only (actually turns off all wall layers except the main layer)
  • Ceiling Break Lines (displays information that doesn't actually even exist as an object in the plan)
  • Rooms, Ceiling Surfaces, and Floor Surfaces (controls the display of specific objects whose layer assignments you have no control over)
  • Terrain Primary/Secondary Contours (informative only)
  • Roofs, Overhang Area (another one that is informative only and isn't actually an object in the plan)
  • Patterns, 3D Views (a redundant pattern toggle)

And then there are things that have an additional tier of Display Options like:

• CAD Block
  • Architectural Blocks

Or objects on a specific layer that display any and all other objects like:

• Layout Boxes (a viewport)
  • Plan Footprints (kinda like a layout box....but also very much not)

And there there are other misc. things like:

• Slab Footing Walls that display one way until their room is enclosed at which point the display changes so that the wall becomes invisible.  Toggling the wall's layer off changes nothing because the visible elements are on the Slab and Footing layers....neither of which can be selected or edited.
  • Invisible, Attic, Railing, and No Locate Wall settings that will move an object to a different layer