Isometric Camera Views Keep Moving Throwing Off Layout


Recommended Posts

I'm engineering a 3cm stone hood to go in a kitchen.  I'd like to show three progressive isometric views showing the various layers of construction.  I have set up three different isometric camera views using three different layer sets.  When I was finally able to get all three camera views onto the layout, the isometric cameras keep moving off center and I am unable to "pull" the layout boxes to get them re-positioned (end up with void white space as shown in middle).  I also got a strange error at one time telling me to contact tech support, but it didn't stay on the screen long enough for me to get all the info.  Has anyone had any luck with isometric views and layout?  Attached are the files if anyone can give me a hand.  Thanks, Kevin

Untitled 1.jpg

CHF_Snow_1796 Cypress Isle_HOOD DETAIL_04-09-21.zip

Link to post
Share on other sites

No input on your question, but a thought on a different method.

 

Would screen captures of each stage work? My screen capture tool has a Repeat Last Capture command that I use all the time to do similar. 

 

You would get 3 identical images easy to place and align in layout.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kwhitt said:

I'm engineering a 3cm stone hood to go in a kitchen.  I'd like to show three progressive isometric views showing the various layers of construction.  I have set up three different isometric camera views using three different layer sets.  When I was finally able to get all three camera views onto the layout, the isometric cameras keep moving off center and I am unable to "pull" the layout boxes to get them re-positioned (end up with void white space as shown in middle).  I also got a strange error at one time telling me to contact tech support, but it didn't stay on the screen long enough for me to get all the info.  Has anyone had any luck with isometric views and layout?  Attached are the files if anyone can give me a hand.  Thanks, Kevin

 

CHF_Snow_1796 Cypress Isle_HOOD DETAIL_04-09-21.zip

Don't use live views!!! Problem solved! 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Another couple potential methods:

  1. Send To Layout using Current Screen As Image
  2. Use Perspective Cameras with a 10 degree Field of View (the smallest it will go).
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, solver said:

No input on your question, but a thought on a different method.

 

Would screen captures of each stage work? My screen capture tool has a Repeat Last Capture command that I use all the time to do similar. 

 

You would get 3 identical images easy to place and align in layout.

Thanks Eric.  That occurred to me too, however, the resolution isn't large enough when it goes to print.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Don't use live views!!! Problem solved! 

 

Rob - I've tried that and eventually the camera moves (especially upon reopening the file) and the resolution here again is not high enough...

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Another couple potential methods:

  1. Send To Layout using Current Screen As Image
  2. Use Perspective Cameras with a 10 degree Field of View (the smallest it will go).

Thanks Michael.  I will give your 2nd suggestion a try.  Is this a known problem with Chief that an isometric camera will move?

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, kwhitt said:

Rob - I've tried that and eventually the camera moves (especially upon reopening the file) and the resolution here again is not high enough...

Notice that the camera jumps between view2 and view 3. That's odd.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, robdyck said:

Notice that the camera jumps between view2 and view 3. That's odd.

Yep, I've noticed that too...  Thanks for looking at the file.  Kevin

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Is this a known problem with Chief that an isometric camera will move?

 

If you report it then it certainly will be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kwhitt said:

Yep, I've noticed that too...  Thanks for looking at the file.  Kevin

I've done this type of thing without any of these difficulties, however I would have approached it differently. I wouldn't have used 3 cameras in the same location. I'd have replicated them away from each other in either the y or x axis. I also wouldn't have used 3 separate symbols. Rather, each view would show additional items, not different items.

I'd have started with the framing and a camera, replicate, then add sheathing, replicate then add finish material.

These won't jump...I guarantee it. I've been using the same camera views and updating and exchanging images hundreds of items over the years. They always land in the same spot.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Alaskan_Son said:

 

If you report it then it certainly will be.

FWIW, I did report this several years ago.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Yep, I've noticed that too...  Thanks for looking at the file.  Kevin

It's not odd, they aren't in the same location!

image.thumb.png.20acc7a3b98d4a88701a269ff36b9f7b.png 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

 

If you report it then it certainly will be.

I'll be glad to report it, I always do, but my question was whether or not this was a known issue.  Sounds like it is seeing Rob's reply.  In fact, I've reported several bugs and although Tech Support responds quickly, they never seem to get fixed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, robdyck said:

It's not odd, they aren't in the same location!

image.thumb.png.20acc7a3b98d4a88701a269ff36b9f7b.png 

I swear they were in the same location to start.  I used your method above by replicating the camera view and all was well at first.  Then they started moving.  I then re-centered each camera and they still move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, robdyck said:

Hey Kevin, you just gotta be a bit more careful placing these items. Space them out and you'll be fine!

 

Thanks Rob.  I got to that very same point, but when you send them to layout, they move.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Hey Kevin, you just gotta be a bit more careful placing these items. Space them out and you'll be fine!

 

The whole key to Kevin's issue is the "Isometric" part.  To create a true isometric view, he needs to be using an orthogaphic camera.  Try sending one of those orthographic views to layout and then try moving, resizing, reshaping, and updating those views.  I think you'll pretty quickly see the problem.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Rob.  I got to that very same point, but when you send them to layout, they move.

And FWIW, I would only use images for this purpose just to make sure Chief doesn't sneak a layout view away from me while I'm not looking.

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

'll be glad to report it, I always do, but my question was whether or not this was a known issue.

 

It might be know to a small number of people.  I do recall having seen it before, but I also hardly...if ever...send orthographic 3D cameras to layout and as such it's not something I've personally had to contend with.  The real question isn't whether its a "known" issue or not but whether or not Chief has been made aware of it and how many people have reported it.  If only one person is reporting the problem, then its likely going to take a back seat to 100 other issues being reported by 2 people...and those are going to take a back seat to the 20 other issues being reported by 3 people, etc. 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, solver said:

If you Export an image, you can up the resolution. Would this make a difference?

 

ct1.png.e9d8d5a45bea28285b328ce8d3d3f5ce.png

Eric - I think that's what I'll end up doing.  It's just a pain to get all the images to line up using this method.  Thanks for your input.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

 

It might be know to a small number of people.  I do recall having seen it before, but I also hardly...if ever...send orthographic 3D cameras to layout and as such it's not something I've personally had to contend with.  The real question isn't whether its a "known" issue or not but whether or not Chief has been made aware of it and how many people have reported it.  If only one person is reporting the problem, then its likely going to take a back seat to 100 other issues being reported by 2 people...and those are going to take a back seat to the 20 other issues being reported by 3 people, etc. 

I understand (squeaky wheel and all).  All the other cameras work so precisely.  I am surprised that the ortho views are not as good.  Thanks again for the help.

 

I saw your other post about leaving YouTube.  I have switched to Rumble.  They've got some things to work out, but the platform is coming along nicely!  I hope to see you back up again soon as I always watch your vids.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

It's just a pain to get all the images to line up

 

When you import, they will come in at the same location. Resize as required, Transform/Replicate to move. You have the Align and Align/Distribute Along Line tools available too.

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

A little late to the party but that is a perfect little gem for a layered 3D PDF.  I just wish they were easier to make or even if chief would allow us to create and embed them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
  • Member Statistics

    29505
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    Chancebean
    Newest Member
    Chancebean
    Joined