Create Terrain Perimeter from Survey and Import into Building.plan file

rfantclt

Fellow More-experienced CA users,

I have drawn as-built plans of a house for a renovation/addition project in CA v.12.  I recently received the final survey from the surveyor with property lines, major and minor contours, the building footprint, and other typical survey information.  I imported it from .dwg as a .plan file  with layers for terrain perimeter and terrain, and converted the terrain using the convert tool to make it 3D.  It shows up with terrain. Yay!  Now I'm not sure of the next steps:

1. How do I bring the terrain into the building.plan?

2. How do I set it in place - using a Place Point or Point Marker at a corner of the house?

3. The survey elevations are in the 650' range so how what do I do to place the terrain relative to my house (1st floor 0.0)?  This house has a walk out basement, if that matters.

4. I copied in a 2D version of the survey to use in plan view (on layer CAD, AS-BUILT SURVEY).  When I send it to layout, the house floor plans are obscured and the secondary contours didn't come in - admittedly, this is a previous version of my survey attempt and I've since remapped the survey layers.

I have also attached the house plan, if that helps.

Thanks for recommendations from this group, as I've watched numerous videos and couldn't find any that addressed this process.

Rebecca

CA Premier X12

Zoutewelle FINAL SURVEY.plan

Muhs Existing.plan

I have watched all those videos numerous times, which isn't to deny that I might have missed something.  But best I can tell, none of them deal with bringing one 3D model (survey) into another 3D model (building).  With a fresher mind, I am wondering if I shouldn't have converted the survey into a terrain perimeter until AFTER I copied and pasted it into my building.plan file.  Bring it in as 2D with just contours, perimeter and a Point for inserting into the right spot.

4 hours ago, rfantclt said:

I NEVER create these separately, one project one plan (in the case of remodels, I save as the as built plan with terrain and it renames to Proposed)

2. How do I set it in place - using a Place Point or Point Marker at a corner of the house?

See number one above and since you have done this separately the point to point is about your only realistic way to put the two together.  

3. The survey elevations are in the 650' range so how what do I do to place the terrain relative to my house (1st floor 0.0)?  This house has a walk out basement, if that matters.

By adjusting the terrain to the structure/structures using the "Building Pad" input box in the Terrain Specification Dialog

4. I copied in a 2D version of the survey to use in plan view (on layer CAD, AS-BUILT SURVEY).  When I send it to layout, the house floor plans are obscured and the secondary contours didn't come in - admittedly, this is a previous version of my survey attempt and I've since remapped the survey layers.

see number one above. I only import images or PDFs of a site plan to use to trace over, this way there is no "competition" with the objects in my plan natively 

DJP

15 hours ago, rfantclt said:

A few things... 

Your terrain is not to scale.  Your terrain only measures a little over 7' across!  When you properly scale it, make sure the scale between contours is also properly scaled.

Generally your Terrain Perimeter should not be on the property lines, but some distance past the property lines.  The contour lines need to all go past the edge of the terrain if/when you do that.

Add a north arrow pointer to your site plan so you can rotate it to be oriented to match your floor plan and keep the proper headings for the property lines.  Then rotate the site to match the floor plan.

You have the building outline on the terrain/site plan, so you should be able to move the building into position using that.  

Have a look at the attached plan i think it is what you are wanting 

Your where on the right track, what i did was copy the terrain and elevations to your plan then i had to convert the terrain perimeter from a poly line to a terrain then i scaled it by 12 transform replicate tool then you just need set the height of the terrain to match your sea levels open terrain and set subfloor height above terrain 

1893632772_MuhsExistingMark Try.plan

one method is to create a 3D symbol of the building(s) and place them in the library

then place the symbol(s) on the Master site plan as needed

for a single building the recommendation is to have one plan 

but there is no requirement to do so

Lew

7 hours ago, Mark3D said:

Your where on the right track, what i did was copy the terrain and elevations to your plan then i had to convert the terrain perimeter from a poly line to a terrain then i scaled it by 12 transform replicate tool then you just need set the height of the terrain to match your sea levels open terrain and set subfloor height above terrain 

Thanks so much, Mark!  I did realize the scaling problem after I posted it.  One last plea for advice:  I understand I need to set the terrain to the building elevation but I'm not sure how to do that.  The 1st floor elevation  is 658.1 so call subfloor elevation 658.0'  Would you please tell me how to do this - am I adjusting the building or the terrain and how?

Rebecca

14 hours ago, Mark3D said: