stevenyhof

Refresh time - Rebuilding the model

Recommended Posts

At times, and not on even very large homes - like under 2000 sq.ft. - every edit I make, I get the popup telling me it is rebuilding the model. Now I am trying to force it and it's not doing it - of course! There are times I get a delay with my drawing and editing, and what I find is normal as I know there is a lot going on as the software recalculates. However, other times it just takes like 2 to 4 second with each step.

Is there something I can turn off? This happens even if I only have the plan in front and no other windows/tabs open. I have tried rebooting. Once again, it is fine most of the time, but then I can work for an hour like this. I do not have my layout open either.

Thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

At times, and not on even very large homes - like under 2000 sq.ft. - every edit I make, I get the popup telling me it is rebuilding the model. Now I am trying to force it and it's not doing it - of course! There are times I get a delay with my drawing and editing, and what I find is normal as I know there is a lot going on as the software recalculates. However, other times it just takes like 2 to 4 second with each step.

Is there something I can turn off? This happens even if I only have the plan in front and no other windows/tabs open. I have tried rebooting. Once again, it is fine most of the time, but then I can work for an hour like this. I do not have my layout open either.

Thoughts?

Does this happen with a default template plan or one of your own? can you post a .plan?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Steve,

 

I had no issue moving, adding, walking through camera.  NO rebuild pop up at all.  

 

I have fond memories of the beach there in Holland and Grand Haven..  Sisters still live there..   

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, mtldesigns said:

Hi Steve,

 

I had no issue moving, adding, walking through camera.  NO rebuild pop up at all.  

 

I have fond memories of the beach there in Holland and Grand Haven..  Sisters still live there..   

Thank you Michael, for checking it out. I have a very powerful computer - I have built my own computers for many years. But the last build is about two years old, and who knows why in time computers just seem to get slower. Maybe it's time to reformat and start fresh. If it continues, I will do that. 

 

PS. Yes, we have beautiful beaches here!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Thank you Michael, for checking it out. I have a very powerful computer - I have built my own computers for many years. But the last build is about two years old, and who knows why in time computers just seem to get slower. Maybe it's time to reformat and start fresh. If it continues, I will do that. 

 

Humm....   Is that the one in your signature?   Even my setup is getting old and slow.   What are your specs for the hard drive that chief is running off ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loaded your plan onto my HP Spectra which has an I5 7200U CPU and integrated graphics chip. I get a bit of lag when making changes in a standard graphics view, maybe 3 seconds if I drag a roof plane, but not long enough for the model rebuild pop-up to show. Even so this seems a bit long given the size/complexity of your plan.

 

In order to fully check if there is something in the plan that might be causing this you will need to do a full plan back-up and post it versus just your standard plan file.

 

This type of slowness can be caused by things such as very high resolution textures and high face count models. Your 3D camera settings will also impact on how hard your system has to work, lights, shadows, bloom, reflection and sun follows camera require more processing time.

 

I did notice in the list of materials that there were some that are identified as SKP, I could not find the model to check it out. Just be careful when downloading SKP models or other 3D models from other sites. There are times when these may have extreme face counts or they may use very high resolution textures which can contribute to slowness.

 

If your system is the I5 2400 in your signature you should consider an upgrade if you intend to work on complex plans, 8GB of ram is really bare minimum, 16GB would be much better, especially if you are multitasking with other programs while working in CA. Keep in mind that Windows will eat about 4GB of this which means you only have about 4GB left for all your other programs. Not sure about your hard drive, if it is not an MNVe type you should likely upgrade to one. Not really concerned about your GTX 1060 as in your current system it can easily handle anything that your CPU can throw at it, would only have some concern if your 2 monitors are 4K resolution.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just loaded your plan on my main system. No issues. Note my main system has the same video card, a GTX 1060 6GB. The most significant difference is my faster CPU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I loaded your plan onto my HP Spectra which has an I5 7200U CPU and integrated graphics chip. I get a bit of lag when making changes in a standard graphics view, maybe 3 seconds if I drag a roof plane, but not long enough for the model rebuild pop-up to show. Even so this seems a bit long given the size/complexity of your plan.

 

In order to fully check if there is something in the plan that might be causing this you will need to do a full plan back-up and post it versus just your standard plan file.

 

This type of slowness can be caused by things such as very high resolution textures and high face count models. Your 3D camera settings will also impact on how hard your system has to work, lights, shadows, bloom, reflection and sun follows camera require more processing time.

 

I did notice in the list of materials that there were some that are identified as SKP, I could not find the model to check it out. Just be careful when downloading SKP models or other 3D models from other sites. There are times when these may have extreme face counts or they may use very high resolution textures which can contribute to slowness.

 

If your system is the I5 2400 in your signature you should consider an upgrade if you intend to work on complex plans, 8GB of ram is really bare minimum, 16GB would be much better, especially if you are multitasking with other programs while working in CA. Keep in mind that Windows will eat about 4GB of this which means you only have about 4GB left for all your other programs. Not sure about your hard drive, if it is not an MNVe type you should likely upgrade to one. Not really concerned about your GTX 1060 as in your current system it can easily handle anything that your CPU can throw at it, would only have some concern if your 2 monitors are 4K resolution.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

I just loaded your plan on my main system. No issues. Note my main system has the same video card, a GTX 1060 6GB. The most significant difference is my faster CPU.

Thank you to both of you for spending the time to test. 

I think upgrading to 16GB is going to be the first move I make. Even ADT runs a little slow at times when I have other things open and being worked on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I think upgrading to 16GB is going to be the first move I make. Even ADT runs a little slow at times when I have other things open and being worked on. 

 

You can easily check to see if low ram is the issue. Close all of your other programs including your browser and email so CA is only running. Open up task manger and select the Performance tab, this will show the usage of memory and how much is free. In your plan make some changes and see if your memory is exceeded and see whether the lag still persists. If you still have free memory and the lag is still there then you need to look somewhere else. While you are doing this you can also start opening up your other normal programs and watch to see how your memory consumption changes. Personally I think the main issue is your CPU, it's about 9 years old and a lot has changed over the years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

 

You can easily check to see if low ram is the issue. Close all of your other programs including your browser and email so CA is only running. Open up task manger and select the Performance tab, this will show the usage of memory and how much is free. In your plan make some changes and see if your memory is exceeded and see whether the lag still persists. If you still have free memory and the lag is still there then you need to look somewhere else. While you are doing this you can also start opening up your other normal programs and watch to see how your memory consumption changes. Personally I think the main issue is your CPU, it's about 9 years old and a lot has changed over the years.

Thank you - I will look into this. I thought my build was about 2 to 3 years old, but now that I think about it, it maybe be like 5 or 6. But, if it is older, maybe best just to get a new computer as I would be up the creek if something happened. I have like 9 jobs I'm juggling now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The main thing I see is my backup software, which runs less during the day, but seems to be hogging up resources. I will look into that and see if I can make some changes.

cpu.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stevenyhof said:

Thank you - I will look into this. I thought my build was about 2 to 3 years old, but now that I think about it, it maybe be like 5 or 6. But, if it is older, maybe best just to get a new computer as I would be up the creek if something happened. I have like 9 jobs I'm juggling now.

 

When I checked out your CPU model on the Intel site it stated that it was launched in 2011. I think you've gotten your money's worth and it's time to consider an upgrade. This would benefit all of your other programs and allow you to work much smoother in significantly more complex plans than the one you provided. You can test to see how slow things can get if you download one of CA's larger sample plans, Grandview is a good one. Open up a 3D camera, turn on all lights, bloom, reflections and shadows. Make a change to the roof and see how long it takes. Switch the camera from standard to PBR and see how slow it gets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stevenyhof said:

The main thing I see is my backup software, which runs less during the day, but seems to be hogging up resources. I will look into that and see if I can make some changes.

 

 

If you look at the very top of the chart you will see that your memory usage is 62%, so you still have some free memory. However, not certain what you are running but your CPU is at 87% utilization, it's really working away on something. Your GPU is at 7% so it's not really doing anything. If you click on the main column heading say for the CPU it will reorganize the list to show the higher utilizing programs first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheKitchenAbode said:

 

When I checked out your CPU model on the Intel site it stated that it was launched in 2011. I think you've gotten your money's worth and it's time to consider an upgrade. This would benefit all of your other programs and allow you to work much smoother in significantly more complex plans than the one you provided. You can test to see how slow things can get if you download one of CA's larger sample plans, Grandview is a good one. Open up a 3D camera, turn on all lights, bloom, reflections and shadows. Make a change to the roof and see how long it takes. Switch the camera from standard to PBR and see how slow it gets.

Wow! How time passes! I have had the best luck with ASUS over the years, so looking at a new computer. I built this last one, and maybe I will build a new one. The plan below is one that I started to really notice this on - and it is about 5000 sq.ft. I have not messed with my camera and light settings - still learning things.

1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the list - jumping all over the place - right now CPU is at 51%

2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i can also pause my backup for a time if I run into issues. But it seems to me that our conclusion is that it is time for a new and faster computer.

bu.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Here is the list - jumping all over the place - right now CPU is at 51%

 

 

What's not good there is that Code24 and the Windows Host Audio thing is eating up about 50% of your processor. Under static conditions my CPU only runs around 4%. Do you really need those programs running all the time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

 

What's not good there is that Code24 and the Windows Host Audio thing is eating up about 50% of your processor. Under static conditions my CPU only runs around 4%. Do you really need those programs running all the time.

I don't even know what the Windows Host Audio is. I can turn off my backup for a time, but that has saved me many times. I think over 11 years, there is just stuff on here running that could just go away with a new computer. Start fresh. Thank you for your help, Graham! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stevenyhof said:

I don't even know what the Windows Host Audio is. I can turn off my backup for a time, but that has saved me many times. I think over 11 years, there is just stuff on here running that could just go away with a new computer. Start fresh. Thank you for your help, Graham! 

 

There are many other backup programs that don't use anywhere near that amount of resources. Why don't you consider using Windows OneDrive for file back-up and just let Windows Defender take care of virus control. A new system will help but if you still have those kinds of programs operating in the background you will be depriving yourself of the new systems potential performance.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TheKitchenAbode said:

 

There are many other backup programs that don't use anywhere near that amount of resources. Why don't you consider using Windows OneDrive for file back-up and just let Windows Defender take care of virus control. A new system will help but if you still have those kinds of programs operating in the background you will be depriving yourself of the new systems potential performance.

I will look into one drive. Once thing Code 42 does is backup every day - meaning, I can go back to specific days and find a file that was completed to a point on that day. It does not overwrite files, but keeps making new backups each day of files that change. This is also an old service, so maybe OneDrive offers such features.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, stevenyhof said:

I will look into one drive. Once thing Code 42 does is backup every day - meaning, I can go back to specific days and find a file that was completed to a point on that day. It does not overwrite files, but keeps making new backups each day of files that change. This is also an old service, so maybe OneDrive offers such features.

 

CA has that type of backup built in. You can specify how often it backs up in the Preference settings. It all takes place in the background, you won't even know it's happening. If you set it to backup say every 10 minutes then you have a set of files that are each 10 minutes apart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

CA has that type of backup built in. You can specify how often it backs up in the Preference settings. It all takes place in the background, you won't even know it's happening. If you set it to backup say every 10 minutes then you have a set of files that are each 10 minutes apart.

 

I should have said Auto Archive and it can be set to Archive once an hour. Sorry, got mixed up with Auto Save.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stevenyhof said:

Very good. But I also want things backed up online.

 

That's done from within OneDrive. Just assign the CA Auto Archive folder to OneDrive and it will back it up to the cloud every time it sees a change. OneDrive is very efficient so it's unlikely you will notice a difference. Other users use Google Drive, DropBox and iCloud.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    28426
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    JosephIM
    Newest Member
    JosephIM
    Joined
  • Similar Content

    • By stevenyhof
      I have run into this with a few plans. I did not use provide framing detail, but for the clients that want to see the detail in 3D, I like to produce a 3D framing model that can mess with online. However, I have found that some of my walls in the foundation area do not generate the framing as the main and second floors do.
      The support walls with a footing do not show as framing. And the Fur walls also do not show framing. Also the lower daylight walls remain with siding on them.
      Thoughts ???
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1zSLeZLDIRSsZWin7R1bfHL-OOxYNFiQZ/view?usp=sharing
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1R1gDrY234MUOCFKEaz6Eg9SRFR9EoURt/view?usp=sharing
      Thank you,
      Steve


    • By stevenyhof
      Has anyone run into this before? This is now the second plan where this has happened. I did go through my library and make sure things were set up as defaults.
      https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qVTH6gugwTKaiwnmg6aKkczmyCNVFGW-/view?usp=sharing
    • By stevenyhof
      So I just completed a plan - spent about 3 hours putting my notes and things on 5 sections. The client wanted a few changes so I opened the plan and see that I have no sections. I looked at my archives - nope! - I have is saving every 2 minutes. Is there hope are does this happen and I just have to get to work again?
    • By stevenyhof
      I'm trying to understand the materials for walls.
      I spent some time going through all my default walls in the Default Settings, making sure I set all my materials for my interior and exterior wall materials to default (checked default and see default noted in the materials tab.) I also went through my library one wall at a time to make sure all settings matched and set to default - especially for my interior and exterior materials. Then I created a New drawing and added some walls to see all my settings were working correctly - which they were. I had both exterior and interior walls drawn and added some walls from my library and all those walls also checked out good. Siding and wall colors/details were what I set up in my template. Nice!  Ok, I thought I would go into the Defaults on the New drawing and change my interior wall color. Nothing changed. Ok, so while floor heights, joist, etc. all seem to change things in the current plan, wall material changes do nothing to existing walls. Is this correct? So if I have 6 different wall types in the drawing and I want to change the color of the wall, do I need to open each one and change the color in Wall Types? I do see that I can control these walls form the Define Wall Types... dbx. I would just have to know what walls are in the drawing. And this does change the walls - so this works. I know I can use the Material Eyedropper but that causes other issues when I want to change things in the Define walls area - and the reason I went back to make sure everything is set to defaults. Taking me some times to wrap my head around how these defaults work. So it seems to me that if all my walls, set up in Defaults Settings (each wall type) AND in my Library, that changing the Materials in the Default Settings should change all the walls in the plan if all the walls in the plan are set up to use the default materials. Maybe I am missing something, but if I have a client that want to see vertical siding vs horizontal, or one overall color for the interior walls, that I would not have to change all the different wall types added into the plan one by one.  How do others address this issue?  
      Thank you,
      Steve
       
    • By stevenyhof
      I have run into this a few times and can't seem to get rid of it. I do not want the boxed fascia on the gable end.
      I want what is on the left, not on the right.
      I even deleted the right roof and copied the left to the right - it just comes back.
      Thoughts?
      Thank you!
      SND1854 Potter Barn.plan