stevenyhof

3 Way Switch Between Floors - Stairs

I'm making an electrical plan and trying to figure out how to add my electrical line to my light fixture over the stairs - shown on the main floor. So I have a 2 way switch at the bottom and top of the stairs.

M

6 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I'm making an electrical plan and trying to figure out how to add my electrical line to my light fixture over the stairs - shown on the main floor. So I have a 2 way switch at the bottom and top of the stairs.

use a spline...open it and add an arrow pointing up to 2nd floor

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SNestor said:

M

use a spline...open it and add an arrow pointing up to 2nd floor

Very good! Was thinking maybe something simple like that. Thank you

Another option is to place a switch in the stairwell and re-label it as "3 Upstairs" which allows use of the electrical connection tool.

17 minutes ago, steve_stuart said:

Another option is to place a switch in the stairwell and re-label it as "3 Upstairs" which allows use of the electrical connection tool.

I'm not following... I put a switch in the stairs and opened the DBX - then re-label it... then .... ?

3 way.jpg

I find a note on the end of the connecting circuit is usually the least confusing.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I'm not following... I put a switch in the stairs and opened the DBX - then re-label it... then .... ?

I guess I was assuming you already had a 3-way drawn at the bottom of the stairs. You will need two 3-ways, one at the bottom and one at the top, label the one at the top as 3 upstairs, then just draw your electrical connection to the switch, which is actually on the first floor. The only downside is if it shows up in a 3D view, but you can always put it on another layer and turn it off.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

I find a note on the end of the connecting circuit is usually the least confusing.

I use this method.  I have a little 2d symbol in my library which is 2 45deg dashed lines which in some areas is indicative of a continuation of circuit then I place a note there saying to upstairs circuit, and I copy the same concept upstairs.  Side note when using the spline go ahead and just change that line to the electical connection layer it will look the same as your electrical connections and show up where you want it.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I modified the Square Recessed Light to be a Note.  I turned the lumens off (custom set to zero) with labels "To Floor Above" and "To Floor Below"

Chief Architect Premier X12 8282020 31325 PM.bmp.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, BeachHouse1 said:

I modified the Square Recessed Light to be a Note.  I turned the lumens off (custom set to zero) with labels "To Floor Above" and "To Floor Below"

Chief Architect Premier X12 8282020 31325 PM.bmp.jpg

Can you see it in 3d?  That was what I originally tried to do and make the 2d symbol my dashed lines.  Even made the light not show up in schedule and really small but then it would show weird in 3d.  Tried setting it to opening no material but it still made it look bad in 3d.  Probably a way to set it up in the ceiling come to think of it...

34 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Can you see it in 3d?  That was what I originally tried to do and make the 2d symbol my dashed lines.  Even made the light not show up in schedule and really small but then it would show weird in 3d.  Tried setting it to opening no material but it still made it look bad in 3d.  Probably a way to set it up in the ceiling come to think of it...

Maybe create a custom layer and turn it off in 3D