gobuildone

REVERSE GABLE OVER EXISTING GABLE.. VALLEY PLATE?

Greetings,   Is it possible to generate a framing member to display as a "valley rafter" or "valley plate" running 8x2 (flat ways) over the existing roof for the rafters to terminate upon where they sit on the old roof slope?   This member may have a name but I don't know it.   roof image 1.pdf

1 hour ago, gobuildone said:

"valley rafter" or "valley plate"

Do a forum search using these terms. These have been discussed in the past; several comments about how to do it. Short answer - can't be done automatic. Has to be done as a workaround.

Been discussed before.  Not easy.  The positioning of the valley plates Is tough, and the seat cuts for the rafters bearing on the plates is tougher.

Best to just do a 2D CAD detail.

I do them in 3D using Sketchup.

Have you tried using a roof beam set to that size?

1 hour ago, rgardner said:

They don't position very well due to the skew angle and the pitch of the roof. Many times I have tried modifying a rafter for a different roof element and it will just drop down to a 0 pitch; it just seems to loose it's bearing in 3D space (or maybe I loose my bearing in 3D space).

1 minute ago, Ridge_Runner said:
1 hour ago, rgardner said:

They don't position very well due to the skew angle and the pitch of the roof. Many times I have tried modifying a rafter for a different roof element and it will just drop down to a 0 pitch; it just seems to loose it's bearing in 3D space (or maybe I loose my bearing in 3D space).

I think it is Chief that looses it's bearings......     I did a video on this a while back.   Should I search ?

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Should I search ?

I was hoping the OP would do that.

• Like 2