AlmiraDesign

Rafters, birdmouth issue

I am having a difficult time with the framing of the rafters; in regards to birds mouth specifically. I am looking for assistance as I have tried many different options in aligning them to the beams. Please help me! I'd greatly appreciate it!

Ps, I only began to notice the difference, when I changed depth of hip rafters to 3.5".

Birdsmouth issue.jpg

1 hour ago, AlmiraDesign said:

I am having a difficult time with the framing of the rafters; in regards to birds mouth specifically. I am looking for assistance as I have tried many different options in aligning them to the beams. Please help me! I'd greatly appreciate it!

Ps, I only began to notice the difference, when I changed depth of hip rafters to 3.5".

Birdsmouth issue.jpg

First...what is the "problem"

Second...please post a plan so we can look at what you are doing.

Thanks!

Chief builds your roof based on your defaults.

If they spec a roof frame of 2x10s, the roof plane is positioned so the 2x10 framing members get a full-seat bearing on your wall framing.  If the wall framing is 2x6, that birdsmouth horizontal dimension will be 5.5 inches.

Your subfascia spec in your roof defaults guide Chief to making the rafter cuts OUTSIDE the wall line.  

Play with it a bunch and you'll get it.

4 hours ago, AlmiraDesign said:

Birdsmouth issue.jpg

The BM is aligned with the Beams but you have the Trim Framing To Soffit Option Set in the Roof Planes so the Rafter Tails are being trimmed Up to the Subfascia Thickness hence the notch on the ends so it appears as if the BM is not Correct.

M.

• Upvote 1

It looks to me like the issue may be that the birdsmouth for the hip rafter protrudes beyond the support beam at the corner.  It would be great if chief knew how to do this but it may be a while yet before that is an automatic feature. It usually is hidden in the layers or sheathing and siding but is quite apparent if you have a post and beam type structure.

You can apply a custom rafter tail to the hip beams if you need to although I don't think you will get it perfect without doing a laminated beam or building your own with a solid.

Please let us know the exact issue as you have the wiling talent here to get it done even if chief won't do it for you automatically.