Furred and regular wall connections

EngelsmaHomes

Hi All,

Does anyone else struggle to get furred and regular walls to play nice together? We always frame a 2x4 wall inside full height concrete basement walls, so I draw a standard 2x4 wall and in the "structure" tab of the Wall Spec dialog box i set the wall as "Furred". Generally speaking this works fine, but whenever the furred wall stops and a standard wall begins, there's issues.

In the first attached screenshot, the highlighted wall shows where the wall changes from furred to not furred. Not only does it show an ugly split in the highlighted area, but it won't separate the areas (family room storage and Storage/Mech.) into two rooms.

In the second screenshot, I made the previously highlighted wall into one, non-furred wall. That solves the room definition issue and ugly break, but it seems to do goofy things with area calculator.

Any insight would be appreciated!

screenshot1.png

screenshot2.png

7 hours ago, EngelsmaHomes said:

Does anyone else struggle to get furred and regular walls to play nice together? We always frame a 2x4 wall inside full height concrete basement walls, so I draw a standard 2x4 wall

Yes, but I don't use furred walls for those. I have a separate wall type for the insulation wall and I draw it inside the foundation, then butt it up against the fdn wall. I never ever use a furred wall.

It does not do goofy things with the area calculator, it just doesn't do what you'd like with the area calculator. Read up on how the area is calculated and you'll see it is behaving as it should.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, robdyck said:

Yes, but I don't use furred walls for those. I have a separate wall type for the insulation wall and I draw it inside the foundation, then butt it up against the fdn wall. I never ever use a furred wall.

It does not do goofy things with the area calculator, it just doesn't do what you'd like with the area calculator. Read up on how the area is calculated and you'll see it is behaving as it should.

Rob - I think the reason for "furred" wall types is that it eliminates a room behind the wall.  I think...

You can assign any wall type as "furred"...I also have a unique wall type for these situations...but, you can use a standard interior-4 as a furred wall if you choose. 

I've attached a couple of screen shots from the X12 Manual on furred walls. 

2020-06-08_22-04-57.thumb.png.5ce8140fa608cca3ea00c392e75e9bd4.png2020-06-08_22-05-11.thumb.png.9ae8e1d7507926983a111f7546dbd24e.png

4 hours ago, SNestor said:

I think the reason for "furred" wall types is that it eliminates a room behind the wall.  I think...

Try simply adding the AirGap ( or rigid Insul.), 2x4 and Drywall as Interior Layers to a copy of a 8" Concrete or CMU Stem wall and that Room between the walls is gone......, there is also no need for the "furred" option to be used then. something like this :

image.thumb.png.44742c981370400871d74e12a85a021b.png

9 hours ago, SNestor said:

Rob - I think the reason for "furred" wall types is that it eliminates a room behind the wall.  I think...

That's right Steve. To avoid the Room that DOES get created there, I'll take a short wall segment, usually in the mechanical room, and give it No Room Definition. I just don't like how the furred walls behave in a few other ways, mostly all the short invisible walls that Chief dimensions to the center. And there are some things I DO like about how they behave. A furred wall allows a basement window to be called out in the correct room, for example. 

So when I say I never use them, I should clarify that I almost never use them, and its because the benefits of one method trump the benefits of another method for my typical finished plan set.

If I need the benefits of using the furred wall in a plan set, then of course, they make the cut.

50 minutes ago, robdyck said:

That's right Steve. To avoid the Room that DOES get created there, I'll take a short wall segment, usually in the mechanical room, and give it No Room Definition. I just don't like how the furred walls behave in a few other ways, mostly all the short invisible walls that Chief dimensions to the center. And there are some things I DO like about how they behave. A furred wall allows a basement window to be called out in the correct room, for example. 

So when I say I never use them, I should clarify that I almost never use them, and its because the benefits of one method trump the benefits of another method for my typical finished plan set.

If I need the benefits of using the furred wall in a plan set, then of course, they make the cut.

Exactly...

@Kbird1 - Mick (and Chief) suggest creating a foundation wall that includes the airspace/stud/drywall etc.  I thought in the past that when you did this the stud wall would actually extend down to the footing...which would not be good.  However, just doing a quick test it looks like the stud wall will stop at the floor.  So...maybe this is the way to go.  

Screen clip...modified foundation wall with studs/drywall and airspace.  As you can see there is a small gap under the stud wall..but, at least the studs are not extending down to the footing. 

2020-06-09_09-35-14.thumb.png.c9c5ae4d2bba9afa067017e6c9e2cf6a.png

• 9 months later...

While on the topic of furred walls, (could find an answer here on the forum after some searching) does anyone else get the ceiling surface disappearing above the furred wall?  I have modelled a split level, with the bottom portion of the basement portion 4' below grade (foundation level), I have defined a 4 foot high 8" thick concrete stem wall on that half the house.  The top half is another 48" of exterior Siding 6 wall (so it is defined as a pony wall).  I set a furred wall all around the four sides inside up against the 8" concrete stem wall capped at 48" to the top of the concrete stem wall.  The furred wall layers are defined as 1" air gap, 2x4, 1/2" drywall.  It is set to furred in the Structures panel.  I have tried no room definition, no locate etc. but the ceiling in that basement stops at the furred wall (which doesn't go to the ceiling...stops at 48" above floor height).  A manual ceiling drawn will also automatically delete itself in that area.

What button am I missing!!

Likely a rookie question...but this one has evaded me for some time...

Thanks in advance!

Ivan

1 hour ago, IvanCyr said:

Fair enough Eric...I'll give it a whirl here...no huge rush...

With a handle like "solver" you would think you would just get me an answer or link to the answer!! LOL :-)

Just uncheck "furred"...and check "frame through". It will fix itself. You should be making the wall you push against the masonry foundation wall a "solid railing wall"...but, I wouldn't use the cap. The cap in a solid rail wall is always "centered" on the wall...and that will not work in this case. 

2021-03-19_18-03-52.thumb.png.160b140226d4c19f8dd77255dd4e294c.png