Dimension Oddity...

HumbleChief

Thank you and good call but that did not change anything. Actually the grid snaps were on, as I normally don't use them, to try and fix the issue. Did you try the plan on your computer? Have you ever seen this happen? It's the second time in a recent short while so maybe I changed something somewhere in my template plan file? Baffling.

It's the result of Chief's Grid Rounding behavior.  I don't have the time or inclination to explain it at the moment, but it's working as designed.  The unexpected dimension being displayed is simply the result of where that dimension segment happens to land on the rounding grid.  Either change to Distance Rounding in your Dimension Defaults or change the rounding accuracy for that dimension. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

It's the result of Chief's Grid Rounding behavior.  I don't have the time or inclination to explain it at the moment, but it's working as designed.  The unexpected dimension being displayed is simply the result of where that dimension segment happens to land on the rounding grid.  Either change to Distance Rounding in your Dimension Defaults or change the rounding accuracy for that dimension. 

Wonderful!! Had no idea those settings existed. Changed to distance rounding in Dim Defaults and problem solved. NICE and thank you very much.

1 minute ago, HumbleChief said:

Wonderful!! Had no idea those settings existed. Changed to distance rounding in Dim Defaults and problem solved. NICE and thank you very much.

Read the Help files on Distance vs Grid rounding. You may prefer to just change the accuracy for that ONE dim to 1/1, and keep using Grid rounding.

Distance rounding has the potential to cause much worse problems than this current one.

I had thought about that rounding issue... it came up a while ago, but I thought it was really only an issue with angled walls. 
I'd been messing with your plan and besides Michaels solution you could also solve it by moving your model so it aligns with the grid snaps.

1 minute ago, Chrisb222 said:

Read the Help files on Distance vs Grid rounding. You may prefer to just change the accuracy for that ONE dim to 1/1, and keep using Grid rounding.

Distance rounding has the potential to cause much worse problems than this current one.

Interesting. I'll explore a bit more Thank you.

14 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

I might not use that exact same approach, but I more or less agree.  I was honestly trying to avoid getting into a ridiculously complicated discussion.  That discussion would involve all sorts of things starting with Grid Snap Theory and ending with Guberfield's Rounding Accuracy Paradox.  I just didn't want to get into it all. 

11 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Here's a quick example of what can happen if you always use Distance rounding and don't snap your walls to the Snap Grid.

Add up the interior wall dimensions, compare to the overall:

592620112_ScreenShot2020-06-04at1_59_16PM.thumb.png.bc3922fc7be09135b60bc866fd06b888.png

11 minutes ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I agree.  I was honestly trying to avoid getting into a ridiculously complicated discussion.  That discussion would involve all sorts of things starting with Grid Snap Theory and ending with Gubberfield's Rounding Accuracy Paradox.  I just didn't want to get into it all. 

LMAO!! Yes, I don't begin to try to understand it all. I just know not to rely on Distance Rounding for my plans! :P

2 minutes ago, Chrisb222 said:

LMAO!! Yes, I don't begin to try to understand it all. I just know not to rely on Distance Rounding for my plans! :P

Yes but it is good to ask questions because grid rounding can also mess you up real bad if you are doing fabrication drawings to scale that need to be accurate.

18 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Yes but it is good to ask questions because grid rounding can also mess you up real bad if you are doing fabrication drawings to scale that need to be accurate.

Important to pick the right tool for the task for sure.

46 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

You're welcome.

40 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

In your quest to understand these settings, which one to use and when, and how your drawing habits might be affecting things, here's a question for yourself that I would suggest you explore...

"Why am I drawing with my snap grid set to 1/16" while my dimensions are set to round to the nearest 1/4?"

I'm not even necessarily suggesting you're doing anything wrong.  I just think it's worth looking into.