Stepped (Multi-tiered) Roof Soffit

kwhitt

1 minute ago, kwhitt said:

I am questioning whether or not the plans are accurate and this is a true 10:12 pitch.

see my previous posts. They're obviously wrong...I know that because I still remember framing my first roof like that when I was 16. The incorrect plans upset me off then too.

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Or you can change it like thisimage.thumb.png.61e61ccc1c7b81c60314411f51ab5fe2.png:image.thumb.png.5221aac1ea38b6e109f5a16caf0d50e0.png

This is how it was built.

I was typing while you were replying.  Yes, I think the plans aren't accurate.  The center triangular wedge from plan view appears to be equilateral.  I am still unsure how to even draw the roof planes you have marked in RED below.  There is no exterior wall to form a baseline.  How do I add these two pieces on either side with the roof plane tool?

Untitled-1.jpg

10 minutes ago, robdyck said:

image.thumb.png.5221aac1ea38b6e109f5a16caf0d50e0.png

This is how it was built.

Just back from the doc's to see this.  Yep...  was going to say the roof slopes would be different.
But is it okay if they only built the slope to four decimal places precision instead of six ?  Kevin... you better go climb that roof and check.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Just back from the doc's to see this.  Yep...  was going to say the roof slopes would be different.
But is it okay if they only built the slope to four decimal places precision instead of six ?  Kevin... you better go climb that roof and check.

Mark - funny!  I don't think I'll be climbing on this roof anytime soon.  The accuracy is enough for me...  That said, I am still unable to figure out how to join the last two pieces pictured below.  I'm calling it a day and will get back to it tomorrow.  Thanks again for all the help today!  Kevin

Untitled 8.jpg

48 minutes ago, robdyck said:

image.thumb.png.67a3bceaf9cc182e8cf67483b6d5b1b4.png

You're still missing the last 2 pieces. I'd post the plan but you'll feel soo good when you figure this out. I can't deprive you of that!

I'm out now as well, have a great weekend!

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, robdyck said:

You're still missing the last 2 pieces. I'd post the plan but you'll feel soo good when you figure this out. I can't deprive you of that!

Thanks Rob.  You're right.  I'd prefer to do it myself.  Have a great weekend yourself!

8 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

Follow Robert's advice and instructions in his screen-capture to get it to work. :)

First thing in the morning.  Enjoy your weekend!

I think that roof configuration (with the single ridge) will only work for a bay of a certain width/depth ratio.

Once this ratio is something different, the roofs build differently.

Have a look at the differences between the 2 pics below.

Also notice the very small baselines (circled) that define the roofs outlined in red on the previous posts.

All pitches, overhangs and baseline heights are the same for all roofs.

New Image_57.jpg

New Image_58.jpg

• Like 1

Maybe you don't really need this degree of accuracy, but in looking carefully at the as-built roof, you can see that the two roof planes that join to form a short ridge at 90° to the main roof do not actually come down to the eave edge of the roof.  Therefore it's possible those angled roof planes actually are 10:12.  

BayRoof.JPG

• Upvote 1

Here are two solutions that assume either the front 3 planes are 10:12, or the two side planes are 10:12.  Of course... it's possible that none of them are.  But it's definite that nothing matches the roof plan.

Roof 1.JPG

Roof 2.JPG

Mark,

I was just trying to demonstrate that there can be many variables when building a hip roof over a bay - pitch, baseline height, overhang, location of baseline, proportions of bay........

Changing any one can result in a change to the roof configurations.

More often than not, it is a not a question of being correct, but more what result do you want.

I, for instance, would probably try and keep everything (pitch, overhang, height etc) the same.

PS. this picture might better demonstrate the relationship between the colored roof planes and their corresponding Baselines.

New Image_59.jpg

7 hours ago, DzinEye said:

Maybe you don't really need this degree of accuracy, but in looking carefully at the as-built roof, you can see that the two roof planes that join to form a short ridge at 90° to the main roof do not actually come down to the eave edge of the roof.  Therefore it's possible those angled roof planes actually are 10:12.  

BayRoof.JPG

Mark - good catch.  I think you and Glenn are correct.

18 hours ago, robdyck said:

Rob - I got the roof to a satisfactory level this morning, however, I'd really like to figure out how to make the ridge flat.  What tool do I use for this?  I have tried drawing a roof plane directly on an edge of one of the roof planes, but this doesn't give me the proper pitch.  I'd appreciate knowing if there's a way to do this.  Can polyline segments be converted to a roof plane?  Thanks for all the help yesterday.  I'm getting much more comfortable with the roof tool.  Kevin

roof.jpg

8 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

I'd really like to figure out how to make the ridge flat.  What tool do I use for this?  I have tried drawing a roof plane directly on an edge of one of the roof planes, but this doesn't give me the proper pitch. 

Hi Kevin,

Your ridge isn't flat because the roof plane(s) you're using for it are not at 90° (perpendicular) to the main roof.
While in a roof plan view, start drawing a roof plane perpendicular to your main roof by starting at that intersection I've shown in red.

Pull out a rectangular new roof and stretch it up to where the ridge would be.  
Select your front triangular roof plane and copy the ridge height from the DBX.
Go back to your new rectangular roof plane and lock the baseline, then paste the ridge height you just copied.
Now just shape that new rectangular roof and use the join roof tools to join with the main roof, etc..

Roof Bay.JPG

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Hi Kevin,

Your ridge isn't flat because the roof plane(s) you're using for it are not at 90° (perpendicular) to the main roof.
While in a roof plan view, start drawing a roof plane perpendicular to your main roof by starting at that intersection I've shown in red.

Pull out a rectangular new roof and stretch it up to where the ridge would be.  
Select your front triangular roof plane and copy the ridge height from the DBX.
Go back to your new rectangular roof plane and lock the baseline, then paste the ridge height you just copied.
Now just shape that new rectangular roof and use the join roof tools to join with the main roof, etc..

Roof Bay.JPG

Thank you Mark.  I will give it a go this afternoon.  I looked at Chief's training videos on roofs again.  They don't seem to cover these situations.  Kevin

13 hours ago, solver said:

Watch on YouTube: http://youtu.be/URH2uj-KQUg?hd=1

Thanks Eric.  That was very helpful.  You mention towards the end of the video that it's a good idea to set the default ceiling height for the 1st floor.  I did which was 9'.  But, there are also three other ceiling heights on the first floor (four if you include those rooms open to below from the 2nd).  I made sure each room had the appropriate ceiling height before I started the roof.  Was this not the correct way to go about it?

img01.jpg

img02.jpg

2 minutes ago, solver said:

But the roof isn't raised. One parameter controlling where the roof builds is ceiling height. When you auto build, or draw a manual roof over that room, the fascia will be higher than the roof on either side.

So, build roof first using auto-features where roof baseline is the same and THEN adjust any varying ceiling heights under that roof?  Thanks.