Dougak

Buying a new computer

is there a preferred model or does it matter Laptop vs desktop?  I have outgrown my laptop, x12 crashing and I am experiencing a lot of lag... 

computer spec.PNG

My advice is desktop all the way. Put the OS on a digital hard drive (very fast boot times), get the best processor and graphics card you can afford.  Also, bump your RAM to 32GB.  I run three monitors and am thinking about adding a fourth.  Keeping the library and other windows on a separate screen really helps productivity.  I keep the layout on a separate screen and 3d views  on another.  This way I can see how my changes effect the building.

Interested in hearing what others have to day.

Regards

Funny I just moved from Desktop to Laptop... depends on how mobile you need to be. Laptops have come a looong way... Hubs are now available for extra connections and the expansion argument is diminishing.. IMO.  These days I tend replace the whole thing every 4 years rather than upgrading parts. The ideal still may be a superfast desktop AND an ok Laptop for when you need to be mobile.. OR a Desktop small enough to be portable (depends on what kind of mobility is needed), while having better cooling than fast Laptops.. this is what I got..

5-19-2020 10-01-12 AM.png

28 minutes ago, Rashid_Garuba said:

Funny I just moved from Desktop to Laptop... depends on how mobile you need to be. Laptops have come a looong way... Hubs are now available for extra connections and the expansion argument is diminishing.. IMO.  These days I tend replace the whole thing every 4 years rather than upgrading parts. The ideal still may be a superfast desktop AND an ok Laptop for when you need to be mobile.. OR a Desktop small enough to be portable (depends on what kind of mobility is needed), while having better cooling than fast Laptops.. this is what I got..

5-19-2020 10-01-12 AM.png

Looks pretty rocking, I guess more bang for buck and portability than a 17"? I assume you hook it up to a monitor for dual screen capability?

DataCad17, I didn't know they were still in business. Any improvement over the Dos original which I found difficult to learn? thnaks-bB

1 hour ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

Looks pretty rocking, I guess more bang for buck and portability than a 17"? I assume you hook it up to a monitor for dual screen capability?

DataCad17, I didn't know they were still in business. Any improvement over the Dos original which I found difficult to learn? thnaks-bB

Datacad is still around, on version 20 or 21 now I think. It is a really great 2D program, they are trying to go into more of the 3d world, but seem to be really struggling. I don't think its any harder to learn than any other cad program, in fact, probably easier to learn than Autocad, definitely easier than any of the common 3d programs (CA, Softplan, Archicad etc.)

Decided to move to a laptop a year or so ago and it works just fine.  99% of the time it sits closed here in the office connected to a usb hub via Thunderbolt, which connects a standalone keyboard and monitor.  Takes up very little space and gives me portability when needed.  Only need to plug/un-plug one Thunderbolt cable (and the power cable) when taking it anywhere.

I've been using desktop replacements for years now. The ones I favor are not exactly portable but I do take them on the road, just not to job sites much (use the Spectre for that but gave to my daughter to use during Covid) I run two externals, an extra keyboard and a number pad. Have run 4 externals off it. I'm at the point of upgrading and have been thinking of a desktop only because if I build it I can save a good bit of money for what I want. Was going to upgrade last year but moving changed plans. Now am anxiously awaiting the RTX 3000 series to drop and likely the next gen AMDs. Lately I've had a few plans that have me wanting something sooner but I'm torn, likely will wait the next few months though the new laptops out there look tasty, better cooling than ever (key for laptops under heavy use), and a bit more rea$onable than they were.

To the OP. You are running a low level mobile CPU, the "U" series. Likely with integrated graphics. For a laptop moving up to the "H" series will show great improvement and getting something with a dedicated GPU. From what I was told at IBS this year the next version of Chief will support RTX cards so I'd seriously look at that if you do much rendering ( it may very well help other aspects though I don't know).

11 hours ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

Yes 15" the sweet spot for me.. the smallest form factor that can accommodate a 10-key numeric keypad... I keep it's monitor off and connect to 2 monitors via mini-display port and hdmi..works great. Datacad is still recognizable compared to it's DOS ancestors but much improved.. stopped upgrading 3 versions ago as it's 3D effort is similar to Chief's 2D effort.. weak when compared to programs that started as 3D or 2D, respectively.. It's a 2D dream.