Sloped Ceiling Is Drawing 2 5/8" Lower Than I Designed

4hotshoez

I set the ceiling slope at 8:12 and the wall height is designed to be no lower than 60" but it places it 2 5/8" too low.  In the Room dbx the framed wall is 61 1/8" and says that the finished ceiling will be 59 7/8", but measures at 57 1/4". What is going on and how do I deal with this craziness?

The truss needs to be re-built. The roof height is set correctly and the truss was used to help solve a problem, but since the ceiling sets too low, I am not sure if the problem has been solved.

Is this 2 5/8" difference going to be a consistent problem or does it change with the slope? Why does CA do this? It makes me question the accuracy and dependability of CA. Or is it my settings?

The truss needs to be re-built. The roof height is set correctly and the truss was used to help solve a problem, but since the ceiling sets too low, I am not sure if the problem has been solved.

Is this 2 5/8" difference going to be a consistent problem or does it change with the slope? Why does CA do this? It makes me question the accuracy and dependability of CA. Or is it my settings?

I have the plan,  show me a pic of the area you are questioning.

Try drawing custom cl'g planes just like roofs, with cl'g baseline & lower edge line over the outside edge of the wall main layer. Then set & lock the pitch & define "Inside Bottom Hgt". This should solve your problem.

That still requires setting the ceiling plane height properly...which they aren't.

Try drawing custom cl'g planes just like roofs, with cl'g baseline & lower edge line over the outside edge of the wall main layer. Then set & lock the pitch & define "Inside Bottom Hgt". This should solve your problem.

This is exactly how I made them.

They were set by the DBX. But they do not measure according to the DBX. The dim is 2 5/8" less than what the DBX say they should be.

I don't understand this statement.  YOU have to set the heights for the custom ceiling plane.  They're just set too low.  Can you explain exactly how you set the ceilings up step by step?

I must be missing something because I set the wall framing ht to 60" + 1 1/8", which is what I thought controlled the ceiling ht. Then I am confused as to the difference between inside and outside bottom height. I have had to set the outside bottom height to 195 1/8" to get a finished height of 60", which is 2 5/8" more than (Floor height + wall ht) 133 3/4" + 60" = 194 3/4". The inside bottom height is 3 1/2" taller than the outside bottom height. Not making sense to me.

Now I have moved the ceiling base line to the outside wall layer and set the "Inside bottom ht to (second floor ht) 133 3/4" + (the desired wall ht) 60" = 193 3/4", BUT when I put a dimension string on the 60" high wall, it is only 59". I am still an inch short.

I personally build ceilings exactly like you have and not per Jim's method (although I'm not knocking it at all).  That's not your problem.  Your problem is that your math and settings are incorrect...

-Your ROUGH floor is at 133-3/4".  Your finished floor is 3/4" thicker or 134-1/2".

-The Outside Bottom Height of the ceiling plane I checked was set at 192-3/8" when it should be at least 194-1/2"  (134-1/2"+60")