Stair Stringers

SNestor

OK...so, I guess I didn't understand the new "stair stringer" feature Chief added to the stair tool in X12.  

It seems you cannot display the "stringers" only in the "3D framing" cameral layerset?  If you turn the "stairs and landings" layer off...the stringers disappear.  Also...if you don't use "open risers"...you don't see the stringers in the framing overview.   

Am I wrong about this?  Am I missing something?

2020-04-04_10-35-18.thumb.png.bc885eb6623c8233034025ac4e2eafaf.png 2020-04-04_10-43-00.thumb.png.24288626706e0567de05160b8641d963.png

Currently, as far as camera views are concerned, stairs are all or nothing.  Basically, the stringers are treated as part of the stair and not as framing.  

If you would like this to work differently, then you need to submit a feature request.  In your feature request, you need to be very clear about which components of the stairs, ramps, and landings you want to be handled separately, what new system layers you would like added, how you would like these layers to be treated in plan view, etc.

13 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Currently, as far as camera views are concerned, stairs are all or nothing.  Basically, the stringers are treated as part of the stair and not as framing.  

If you would like this to work differently, then you need to submit a feature request.  In your feature request, you need to be very clear about which components of the stairs, ramps, and landings you want to be handled separately, what new system layers you would like added, how you would like these layers to be treated in plan view, etc.

Why would we ever have to request specific layers for any component...I would think the software engineers at Chief would know by now that this is something we would always desire if it is possible. :D

• Like 2

Yes, the stringers should automatically be on a STAIR FRAMING layer. 

Additionally: if 'Open Underneath' is not checked, then framing for the enclosing wall(s) should form and should also go to a framing layer.

2 hours ago, SNestor said:

Why would we ever have to request specific layers for any component...I would think the software engineers at Chief would know by now that this is something we would always desire if it is possible. :D

Chief has never built stairs this way , they have always just been a set of "Faces"  ie empty 3D boxes , not Solids and definitely not framing. The issues shows up in Vector view too sometimes eg when looking at Deck Stairs from the Rear instead of the front.

Same for the "Wall" that generates when you uncheck Open underneath..... I usually just draw my own for that . but it has a few quirks.

M.

26 minutes ago, solver said:

Except they are not walls ...

Part of the stair and only serve to enclose the space with a surface.

Right... I realize that, but I'm just asking/saying that it should become framing, along with the stringers