ddaigle

Thick Exterior wall with Recessed Door

Hi There,

I'm modeling a home with thick foundation walls.

My exterior doors are recessed (even though I haven't selected recessed into wall in the door options).

I don't want the door to be recessed, but instead flush with the exterior surface.  How do I do this?

Thank you!!

wall definition.JPG

Recessed Door.JPG

Door Framing.JPG

Door Casing.JPG

Door Options.JPG

Do you have Jamb>Fit Jamb to Wall checked?

Hi Don, 

Thanks for the response.  No I didn't, but when I do that, it just frames the recessed area.

image.thumb.png.7c613325317d947a042de7fc859599af.png

What you might try is to uncheck it again and tinker with the Jamb "Depth" and "Inset" values to see if you can get what you want. 

Nope .... that didn't seem to help, but thanks anyways.

Never Mind ... Client is happy with Finished Door Jamb.

Hi Dru,

Try turning on, recessed to main layer or sheathing and see if that changes it.

You may have to move the exterior foam layer to the exterior layer and then use recessed to exterior sheathing.

I've been frustrated by the lack of inset control on doors (like we have with windows) ever since I started using Chief. 

I raised a detailed suggestion via support two years ago covering various examples where I need to be able to change the inset either to around the middle or the 'wrong' side as Chief see it versus the opening direction. 

For workarounds all I do is either make it two way to put the door more in the middle if that's near enough or make a symbol out of it.  I did experiment with wall layers and even tiny sections of thinner wall but each created their own issues.

Thanks Guys.  Yeah .. I don't want to mess around with the wall layers.  Simon, I like your idea about the 2-way swing.  I didn't want to reverse swing direction entirely.

That helps offset the 3D view.   

2 hours ago, ddaigle said:

I'm modeling a home with thick foundation walls.

My exterior doors are recessed (even though I haven't selected recessed into wall in the door options).

I don't want the door to be recessed, but instead flush with the exterior surface.  How do I do this?

Keep in mind that if you're using an in-swing door with the door set close to the exterior of the wall, the path of the door's swing will be limited to 90 degrees. That may or may not be desirable.