Apartment Plan

builtright3

Looking for a few Ideas to draw a four-plex apartment unit. Are there any sample drawings within CA or anywhere else I can look at to get me started? Haven't drawn an apartment building yet and I need to get my thought process in that direction. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You

With the parting walls not being able to be compromised with any electrical or plumbing, I show a product called proroc shaftwall system to give me a fire seperation then your other walls can have electric and duct work in them.

http://www.buildsite.com/pdf/certainteed/CertainTeed-Moisture-and-Mold-Resistant-Shaftliner-Type-X-with-M2Tech-Product-Data-379538.pdf

Thank you I forgot about party walls. I thought party walls were more for Condo's but I sure do understand the separation is good for sound. I have done a lot of sound walls for restaurants and churches for the bands. Quiet rock is my material of choice for sound but it may be to costly and over kill for an apartment.

Does separation also help with fire? I know 5/8 type X is the materials to use but just to be clear I'm asking if the 1 or 2 inch gap helps with fire?

http://www.quietrock.com/

1 TO 2 inch gap doesn't help with fire if the wall is compromised then it would have a chimney effect, a lot has to do with your state or local codes also, our state codes require us the have a true fire seperation between each unit with nothing braking that bearier for that reason I I do as explained above

The first thing I do around here is check the parking requirements. That can make all the difference with the design. 

Me two

I'm familiar with most of these things but if you remember my original question was;

Looking for a few Ideas to draw a four-plex apartment unit. Are there any sample drawings within CA or anywhere else I can look at to get me started? Haven't drawn an apartment building yet and I need to get my thought process in that direction. Any help would be appreciated.

More for two story design layouts for the apartments themselves. I can do it on my own but it always helps to cheat a little by looking at some other drawings for ideas. This is mainly just preliminary to put some cost together for the owner. I have done a lot of work for him in the past and don't mind going thru the extra work but I wan to keep it simple. Not getting paid yet. 

Respectfully

Joey there is so many different things to consider, is there land and setbacks that have to be meet, is there cost involved that will be determine the over all of each apartment, like Perry said in one of his post draw the outside dimensions of you build that is requried then add the rooms your client might want to have for that space, after that show your client and it is fairly easy to adjust your walls  to make room sizes they might want or need

Joey there is so many different things to consider, is there land and setbacks that have to be meet, is there cost involved that will be determine the over all of each apartment, like Perry said in one of his post draw the outside dimensions of you build that is requried then add the rooms your client might want to have for that space, after that show your client and it is fairly easy to adjust your walls  to make room sizes they might want or need

I understand zoning, setbacks, parking spaces, lot coverage....... I appreciate the help but I must not be asking the right questions because they haven't been answered yet. I know that I have space for a 80 ft. x 30 ft two story apartment building with taking into consideration the R3 zone in LA that I need 1 parking space per unit, 5 ft side setbacks, 15 rear and 15 front....... That's simple stuff.

I went on Google search and found some floor plans of other apartment buildings to get some layout Ideas to get me started

Thank You

Respectfully

Try the room wizard, that's a quick way to get started with the layout. Its in the space planning section of tools

I messed around with the room wizard once but it didn't seem like it would help me much. Maybe I just need to give it more of a chance and see what it is capable of.

Thanks Perry

Joey just get your outer size divid in half and start with the basic room sizes and needs then adjust from there to the clients needs, I find it takes longer trying to find something over just using my experience to make the plan to what my clients needs are and making changes from that after they see the preliminary iI have developed from our initial meeting and the information iI received from my client

Me two

I'm familiar with most of these things but if you remember my original question was;

More for two story design layouts for the apartments themselves. I can do it on my own but it always helps to cheat a little by looking at some other drawings for ideas. This is mainly just preliminary to put some cost together for the owner. I have done a lot of work for him in the past and don't mind going thru the extra work but I wan to keep it simple. Not getting paid yet. 

Respectfully

FYI, most of us get paid for our ideas!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I designed it (see attached) for fun a couple of years ago. Not going to claim it's all code-kosher, as there is only a model (no plans) but I though the layout was pretty good. It has two 2-bedrooms, two 1-bedrooms, and one three bedroom (it's a 5-plex). Knock yourself out, if you build it I want pictures.

NEW_5PLEX.plan

Jason, I was bored this morning so I messed around with Unit 1. Here is a quick render. I kinda went a little Craftsman on ya with this unit. I feel like stained moldings scream 1980's so I painted them white and added hardwood floors throughout. I feel that it made it feel more open. What do you think? 

post-58-0-24599000-1415039582_thumb.jpg

I got a kick out of those. Especially #1, that turned out awesome. That would no doubt go over well where I'm living now, as a condo.

The '80's style comes from the fact that it was designed to be first apartment building I would ever build, If I were ever able to build one. It had to be relatively inexpensive and easy to maintain. Remember nothing was cheaper than cheap homes built in the '80's.

But you've proven the relatively simple design and layout of the units means they lend themselves readily to be renovated in whatsoever style is fashionable for any given decade, which would naturally extend the life of the building.