Are saved plan views meant to replace working with layer sets?

EngelsmaHomes

Just upgraded to x12 and noticed that my active layer set drop down toolbar menu has been replaced with a saved plan view drop down menu. I understand you can add it back in by customizing your toolbar, but based on it's removal I'm assuming most people are working with "saved plan views" instead of switching layer sets.

It seems like "saved plan views" are like layer sets 2.0, where the layer set is just one setting that is adjusted by switching to a saved plan view.

Is this accurate? And are most of you just switching between saved plan views in your daily work instead of layer sets?

I don't think that's the point.  Default Sets and Layer Sets are the basics giving you a set of Defaults and Layers to choose from.  Reference Layer Sets are now more important than ever.

Saved Plan Views simply allow you to save a view so that it retains:

• zoom factor
  • layer settings (Primary Layer Set for the type of drawing - Architectural, Structural, Electrical, etc.)
  • default settings (How various things will be created and diaplayed)
  • floor level
  • reference floor displays (floor numbers and layer set)
  • etc

Then whenever you reopen that view all of the above will be as they were when you last saved that Plan View.

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, EngelsmaHomes said:

.........And are most of you just switching between saved plan views in your daily work instead of layer sets?

Absolutely.

What Joe said and it defines what layer any new text,  dimensions and cad objects go on.

And yes,  the ref sets are more powerful than before because you can use as many ref sets as you want.....  very very powerful........  think about this...  sometimes you want to show a FILL from another layer BUT NOT ALL OF THE FILLS......  that is where the multiple ref sets come in handy.

So in your daily work, besides maybe initially setting up your layer sets, do you generally switch between saved plan views instead of directly changing your layer set?

I'm used to changing my layer set directly from the drop-down menu.

*Edit - I think dshall just answered my question. Thanks!

Edited by EngelsmaHomes
Answer given

4 minutes ago, EngelsmaHomes said:

So in your daily work, besides maybe initially setting up your layer sets, do you generally switch between saved plan views instead of directly changing your layer set?

YES!  It almost feels like cheating, once you have your plan views saved.

I almost always just select my "Saved Plan Views".  The only time I would select a different Default Set or Layer Set is if I want to add a new Saved Plan View using different criteria.  It's easy to start with one Saved Plan View ( Architectural for example) and then by changing the Default Set and Layer Set you could "Save As" (Framing, Electrical, Plumbing, etc.)

15 minutes ago, EngelsmaHomes said:

do you generally switch between saved plan views instead of directly changing your layer set?

That's my general workflow also. Sooooo much better once you get your planviews set up and saved. If you want a new planview similar to one you have but with some differences, just do a "save-as" and rename, modify what you want to change, and you have a new planview, ready to use.

2 hours ago, EngelsmaHomes said:

Yes. Switching the SPV switches the layer set and many other things, as others mentioned. 

I do however still have the layer set drop down on my toolbar. I refer to it while navigating the plan, and I also sometimes temporarily switch to a different layer set than what the SPV is set to use. "All on" for instance.