Skewed Dimension Labels

LeeDrafter

Hello,

Sometimes dimensions and/or length and angle labels of CAD lines are skewed or offset from where they are supposed to be on the dimension line or the CAD line. This only happens in CAD details. A lot of times it prints correctly anyway, but I would like to see it in plan and layout view correctly so I know if I need to fix anything. Does anybody know what could be wrong and how to fix it? A picture is attached. I am using X5. It doesn't happen all of the time. On this plan, the lines are parallel, but not straight up and down. Could that have something to do with it?

Thanks!

Lee

post-1365-0-14030900-1413828461_thumb.jpg

No, not a hardware issue.

All your lines are parallel, but they are not at 90deg and 0deg.

they are at  0.022778°.

I don't know how you did that though.

To check, draw a horizontal line, make it parallel  to the site plan, check it's angle.

Thanks, that angle was actually on purpose. I drew the site plan based on existing bearing angles. Then I drew the outline of the house and made those lines parallel to the site plan lines. I just tried turning everything slightly to make the lines at 90deg. The dimensions did not correct themselves as I had hoped, but drawing new ones seems to work. I will just have to remember to make the site plan at 90deg first next time. I can just turn my north arrow accordingly to make the bearing angle dimensions accurate. It is weird that it worked for Robert and Jim when they opened it though. 

I don't think the slight off angle should make any difference. IMOFWIW. The fact that they displayed correctly as drawn for Rob & I would support that. Lot/ property lines are often not orthogonal & perpendicular to each other or even the current displayed view. My best guess would be a Chief malfunction of some sort or video driver problem.   I have seen this before in a CAD detail, but they were dimensions that were drawn in plan view & part of the imported plan footprint. That's what I thought it was until I saw the plan.

Lee is using the plan footprint feature in a CAD Detail. That is the best way to do site plans, IMO. That is what the plan footprint was created for primarily. Then you can draw your lot w/ north at the top (or whatever direction you want), rotate & position the footprint on the site however you like. You can also dimension to its perimeter. Do whatever you want w/ the terrain back in plan. You can also have separate CAD defaults set up specifically for site plans that are always there, regardless of the CAD defaults back in plan.

I also just noticed that you have imported the plan footprint twice. 1st & 2nd flr. Hmmm...........

Thanks guys, I agree that it would be ideal to not have to make the lines 90deg if I don't want to, but if that fixes the problem, I am willing to do that small extra step. It may not be so easy if the Lot is a more difficult trapezoid. 

In the past I have had trouble with dimensioning to the plan footprint in a site plan CAD detail. The dimensions would always be 2"-3" off for some reason. I thought maybe it was dimensioning to the siding and not the framing, but that didn't quite make sense either. Anyway, I never figured out why dimensions to the plan footprint weren't correct, so I started drawing a CAD polygon the shape of the house and dimensioning to that. Then I add the footprint on top so the walls, roofs, doors, etc. show. But none of my dimensions are actually to the footprint. This may not be the best way, but I have gotten used to it. If anybody has any suggestions or knows how better to dimension to a footprint, I would love to hear them.

The reason I have two footprints, 1 for each floor, is that I like to show the 1st floor walls where the foundation will be, but I also like to show the 2nd floor walls to show what the roof will sit on. The excavator needs the foundation wall location (thus the need for very accurate dimensions) while the building inspectors often require the the roof on the site plan so they can verify the overhangs don't go into any setbacks. Is there a better way to do this?

Thanks again,

Lee

Lee,

I sometimes have trouble locating anything in a CAD detail. & it's worse in the Site Plan because nothing is usually orthogonal. When I encounter that, I use the point2point dimension, make it parallel to whatever I'm trying to dimension & then try & locate what I'm after. If I still can't get it, I move the points into place & use them.

I only use a floor outline polyline at perimeter of foundation wall or wall main layer for the plan footprint- no walls or roofs displayed. I don't need to show anything else so that is probably why I can dimension to it. I also display line lengths on the floor outline polyline so I don't have to dimension the building; just the distance from bldg to PL.