WildcatFury

Creating 3D Foundation View

Recommended Posts

I am trying to create a foundation plan in a 3d view but when the walls are shown they are also showing interior and exterior wall layers. I have checked Walls, Main Layer Only and unchecked Walls, Layers on the active layer display but that does not seem to work. Any thoughts?

 

Note: This is a walkout on one end, that is why some exterior wall layers are showing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried a Prospective Framing Overview?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are your walkout walls done as pony walls, framed wall up, concrete stemwall down?  Because if that is what you have, you cannot do the view you want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WildcatFury said:

I am trying to create a foundation plan in a 3d view but when the walls are shown they are also showing interior and exterior wall layers. I have checked Walls, Main Layer Only and unchecked Walls, Layers on the active layer display but that does not seem to work. Any thoughts?

 

Note: This is a walkout on one end, that is why some exterior wall layers are showing.

 

Are you editing the layerset controlling the 3D view...or the floor plan layerset?  You need to modify the layers that control the 3D view.

 

Actually...you should post your plan or at the very least a few pictures so we know what you are dealing with.  Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, WildcatFury said:

I am trying to create a foundation plan in a 3d view but when the walls are shown they are also showing interior and exterior wall layers. I have checked Walls, Main Layer Only and unchecked Walls, Layers on the active layer display but that does not seem to work. Any thoughts?

 

Note: This is a walkout on one end, that is why some exterior wall layers are showing.

This is going to suck... The pony walls don't have physical layers that can be displayed on separate layers. Also, the upper and lower portion of a pony wall can't be separated to display on separate layers. The only way (that I know of) is to delete all the unwanted surfaces, then save a picture from that view. Those surfaces will always re-generate, meaning any change will require you to repeat the process (lame).

For this reason, I stopped including 3D foundation views on walk-out foundations. FDNOV1.thumb.jpg.dd099a941f5bfad7db24bbc59f95e21c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, robdyck said:

This is going to suck... The pony walls don't have physical layers that can be displayed on separate layers. Also, the upper and lower portion of a pony wall can't be separated to display on separate layers. The only way (that I know of) is to delete all the unwanted surfaces, then save a picture from that view. Those surfaces will always re-generate, meaning any change will require you to repeat the process (lame).

For this reason, I stopped including 3D foundation views on walk-out foundations. FDNOV1.thumb.jpg.dd099a941f5bfad7db24bbc59f95e21c.jpg

 

No...this is incorrect...sort of.  You can control the display of pony walls using "PLAN VIEWS".  I did a video on the subject...check it out.  

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He wants 3D.  I just doodle it in Sketchup and show a view of that.  Takes less than ten minutes, stepdowns and all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SNestor said:

 

No...this is incorrect...sort of.  You can control the display of pony walls using "PLAN VIEWS".  I did a video on the subject...check it out.  

 

 

 

I am referring specifically to a 3D view of the foundation only which I believe was the intent of the OP.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

He wants 3D.  I just doodle it in Sketchup and show a view of that.  Takes less than ten minutes, stepdowns and all.

FWIW, the sample view I included was from Chief. If you can do that in Sketchup that quickly, my hat is off to you!

Tell you what, I'll spot you another 5 minutes giving you 15. The clock starts now...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I am referring specifically to a 3D view of the foundation only which I believe was the intent of the OP.


Ok...I’m with you on the 3D view. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SNestor said:


Ok...I’m with you on the 3D view. 

What I'll do (in certain situations) is delete those unwanted surfaces to create a clean foundation only view, then convert the foundation to a symbol, place it in a blank plan so that I can send a 3D model viewer link to the client which can be forwarded to the foundation crew. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I charge extra for garages, piers, and thickened slabs.  ;)

 

But the offset tool, the "follow me" tool and of course the push-pull hotkey make pushing out a quick foundation in Sketchup pretty easy.

 

Here's my foundation story.  Long ago, two years out of school, this engineer was running two gangs of union surveyors every day doing line and grade work for a paper mill expansion in Pennsylvania.  Way before 3D, way before CAD.  The preps for the pours was being done by a 65-member gang of union carpenters working out of a large site-built shop, building forms with lumber and plywood.  From October through the following June, we averaged 60 redi-mix loads a day pouring 'crete, a number of the heavy pads for things like digesters being 7 feet thick.  Winter pours were under temporary enclosures built by that same gang.  With air temps in January and February of maybe 7 F., you can lay atop a 7' pad poured early this morning, and the heat emanating from the curing 'crete will make you think you are in a sauna.  It may be different today, but just the machine foundation inside a paper mill needed about 40 thousand cubic yards of concrete. 

 

 

 

We didn't need 3D then, and lets face it, it's use today is really just window dressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Everyone for your responses. As requested I am including some pictures of different views and hopefully a little more explanation. As you can see in the Perspective framing overview and the Perspective floor overview there are walkout walls and foundation walls that have exterior finishes. The Perspective Framing Overview is in the 3D Framing Set and the Perspective Floor Overview is in the Camera View Set. When I did the Foundation Plan View I changed to the Foundation Set and as imagined turned off the layers i did not want to see. In this view (Foundation Plan View) I have the following layer sets checked:

Footings

Footings, Deck Posts

Footings, Post

Foundation

Walls, Foundation

Walls, Main Layer Only

 

I went back to all of the wall types I am using to make sure that the Exterior layers, main layer and interior layers are separated.

 

As you can see in the Foundation Plan View I am still seeing the wall interior and exterior layers and the plan is not showing the walkout wall footers. (This maybe is where I need to create the footers for the walkout walls as pony walls)?

 

What I am trying to achieve is a foundation view like @robdyck showed.

 

Hope this additional info helps.

 

 

Foundation Plan View.jpg

Persepctive Framing Overview.jpg

Perspective Floor Overview.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, WildcatFury said:

Thanks Everyone for your responses. As requested I am including some pictures of different views and hopefully a little more explanation. As you can see in the Perspective framing overview and the Perspective floor overview there are walkout walls and foundation walls that have exterior finishes. The Perspective Framing Overview is in the 3D Framing Set and the Perspective Floor Overview is in the Camera View Set. When I did the Foundation Plan View I changed to the Foundation Set and as imagined turned off the layers i did not want to see. In this view (Foundation Plan View) I have the following layer sets checked:

Footings

Footings, Deck Posts

Footings, Post

Foundation

Walls, Foundation

Walls, Main Layer Only

 

I went back to all of the wall types I am using to make sure that the Exterior layers, main layer and interior layers are separated.

 

As you can see in the Foundation Plan View I am still seeing the wall interior and exterior layers and the plan is not showing the walkout wall footers. (This maybe is where I need to create the footers for the walkout walls as pony walls)?

 

What I am trying to achieve is a foundation view like @robdyck showed.

 

Hope this additional info helps.

 

 

Foundation Plan View.jpg

Persepctive Framing Overview.jpg

Perspective Floor Overview.jpg

 

Create a 3D view...such as a Framing Overview.  In the 3D view...turn off the layers you don't want to see...such as all the framing layers.  Then...using the surface delete tool, delete the surfaces of walls you don't want to see, such as the wood framed walls that sit on top of the concrete foundation walls and any other walls you have on the interior...or, if you put the interior walls on a unique layer you could just turn them off.  

 

See pics below with steps assigned.

 

Step #1: Create a Framing Overview 3D, open layer management for this view...turn off framing layers.

2019-11-21_10-25-35.thumb.png.3948c210a7d8455b422bc73fee1f46a5.png

 

Step #2: Result of Step #1

2019-11-21_12-04-02.thumb.png.fb1b3c719adb9850c35da1059ec1465f.png

 

Now...use the "delete surface tool"...delete surfaces you don't want.

Result:   Send to layout

2019-11-21_12-07-19.thumb.png.c93e00196e2cf2c48b3206689a0de675.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, WildcatFury said:

Thanks Everyone for your responses. As requested I am including some pictures of different views and hopefully a little more explanation...

 

I feel your pain Bob! Unfortunately, the 'Walls, Main Layer Only' only works for plan views, not camera views. I spent time with tech. support a couple years ago trying to figure out a way to do the same thing you're trying. In short, we can't do it automatically yet. 

 

Here's what I do now to create a foundation overview:

1. Take an ORTHOGRAPHIC (not perspective) floor overview camera view showing only the foundation (terrain off, etc.)

2. Switch to an isometric view (3D>Isometric View>Take your pick!)

3. Use the 'Delete Surfaces' tool to delete any unwanted items, like the upper portion of pony walls

4. Create a 'CAD Detail from View'

5. Open the CAD detail and edit as needed (ensure the 'CAD_ Default_Lines' and 'CAD_ Default_Patterns' layers are turned on)

 

The reason I use an orthographic camera as opposed to perspective is that the CAD detail will then be to scale, so it's a lot easier to do the needed edits.

 

I find I usually need to do some editing anyways, especially for ICF foundations, so this method works alright for me. Depending on the size and complexity of the foundation, it can take me anywhere from 15 minutes to an hour to get it all cleaned up in the CAD detail.

 

Here's an example of one I did recently

1613305755_FoundationOverview.thumb.png.fa6dc90975de67835af41e0518a403db.png

 

Hope this helps!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, LevisL said:

Here's an example of one I did recently

1613305755_FoundationOverview.thumb.png.fa6dc90975de67835af41e0518a403db.png

 

And here's what I started with:

809808186_FoundationOverview2.thumb.png.cd337d6ec5054e25fa0a1ad9e8b19022.png

 

And the edits I had to do!

1349192182_FoundationOverview3.thumb.png.8473c6ffbfa0c4d59012f0ce55b2fc9a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as we're showing some ICF foundation models...this one took longer than the allotted 15 minutes! It certainly is annoying how Chief wants to cut the foam insulation on the interior.

5A5.thumb.jpg.38b1bf4c13643e4897167e041dcfc10b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27636
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    Treasuretree
    Newest Member
    Treasuretree
    Joined