Business Sign

winterdd

6 hours ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Any good tips or vids on how to make a nice sign with uplights for an office? i used polyline solids but don't like it and can't get the lettering to work and show on the sign. thanks

Can you post a concept sketch? what font, logo name, type of sign, elevated/yard/platform/surface mount?

You can create a sign without too much trouble if you're comfortable using a graphic editor like Photoshop or The Gimp. The example below was created using Chief tools - millwork for the posts and polyline solids for the board - and using The Gimp to create the diffuse, bump, and normal maps from a picture I found online. The picture was low-resolution, so the result isn't the best, but with a higher resolution image you could get much better results.

Rendered in Chief:

sign_chief.thumb.jpg.24faf3dbadb8da1233275e436a771114.jpg

Rendered in Sketchup:

sign_su.thumb.jpg.b6857a5c68f6c36f4e7d10ca9fd5a90a.jpg

3 minutes ago, ChiefUserBigRob said:

Are these pics using jpegs to create or is this all individual CA commands? They are cool for sure

Photoshop for mine, adjusted the distortion, select the main sign and cut the rest, fill with content-aware tool, spot heel as necessary, dupe the layer, change to monochrome, export both layers as diffuse and bump respectively. 

• 1 year later...

This is the only topic that I could find that talked about creating a business sign, so I am going to ask my question here.

I have a logo (png file), I just want to attach the logo on the sign of a sign board (6'x4') and then attach that to the side of my building, how do I make this happen?  I like what rlackore did with the freestanding sign in the rendering that he posted above.

Or, how do I turn that logo into a material in Chief?  I have the sign board on the side of the building and I can select something in the materials list (like Fire 5) and that sign board will have flames on it (instead of the logo that I want).  So I think that would be the easiest thing, turn my logo into a material and then I can just select it and chose it to be on the face of the sign board.

I think this is probably a pretty simple thing, but I am just missing a step and I am tired of spinning my wheels.  Any help would be appreciated, thanks!