MTL-Homes

Railing/Wall Intersections

Anybody have any idea whats going on with the intersections of these deck railings and the exterior walls? Cant get the original default siding to go away at the intersection. Have tried editing default material and making adjustments with the wall layer extents tool.

Hall Railing Intersections.jpg

did you try turning off the 1/2 post at the wall ?  in general I find Railings don't like ponywalls at times...

This very problem happens to me nearly everytime, so annoying.  Regardless of plan it happens.  Im so interested what the solutions to this issue will be.

29 minutes ago, Designer1 said:

This very problem happens to me nearly every time, so annoying.  Regardless of plan it happens.  I'm so interested what the solutions to this issue will be.

If you are good at reproducing that issue I am sure one of the pros could figure out what is going on if you post a sample plan file.

Just put a corner cap on it. Other than that, it's got to be something with the wall layer extents. Or your railing is sitting just a bit further 'out' than the other wall maybe - make sure they're aligned? Sorry this does seem to be a glitchy item in chief

Thanks for advice. Eventually solved problem using wall specification/materials. Even though the lower exterior wall indicated  "no change" I was able to select it and change the material to the appropriate material in the plans material list.  

Maybe use the wall corner edit tool?  Or if you painted this material on...then you may have to open the wall DBX and go to the material tab...click on the material and check the “use default material” box.  

On ‎9‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 5:47 PM, Chopsaw said:

If you are good at reproducing that issue I am sure one of the pros could figure out what is going on if you post a sample plan file.

Good idea.  I just thought this was normal since it happens so much. For me I just accepted it as the way chief behaves with different wall types, I see this in bathroom design a lot with glass walls or walls with different thickness.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Boots9
    Newest Member
    Boots9

• By hamedDesighn
      How to fix wall length Or lock the wall dimention so they don't change .
      i would be thankful if somebody help .

• By TCDLLC
      Hi, I am a Revit user converting to Chief. 
      When working with angled walls in Chief, I have not been able to lock a wall from moving when changing dimensions on connecting walls. 
      I am familiar with how to use the directional tools to move an end of an object to adjust its dimensions.
      When angled walls are off-angle, I can waste significant time adjusting the lengths of the angled walls and still not achieve the dimensions I need for all connecting walls.

The use case scenario is when I am drafting a plan using dimensions provided to me to create the build.  
      Of course, if I was creating a plan from scratch, I could probably avoid this situation.  

Any suggestions?
    • By MichaelaS
      The wall shown is on the same plane with a false gable roof above only a portion. The wall from the interior will reflect the same ceiling height as the rest of the home, but from the front elevation I would like the wall to be taller to move my gable up. How can this be done in CA as the wall heights are dictated by the room's ceiling height?

• By StructEng58
      Hello All, 

I am working on a project, which its an addition to a service garage with an apartment above. The problem that I am having is that I need a new wall against an existing in order not to see a hole in the area of the existing wall. As you can see in the image of the second floor plan below where I circled it is where I need to add another wall. 

As you can see from my front elevation. I have a hole in the area where there is no wall. 

I have attached a back-up of plan to this email for reference also. I am open to other suggestions on how to fix this issue. 

Thank you in advance for the help. 

Chris 
      RB Garage.zip
    • By Designer100
      Does anyone know ho fix issues I have on this commercial remodeling addition?
      1) Windows and bar cabinets are not against the wall!
      2) wall is not showing on full camera looking back toward where it attaches to the existing building. Wall existing is brick on inside, unless I decide to cover it with gypsum bd!
      3) I have a 10 ft. plate with 9 ft dropped ceiling 2 ft x 4 ft acoustic tile in new addition.

x12 

Newell Cheatham