Area Tabulation / Analysis Table

ACADuser

9 hours ago, robdyck said:

Here's a few screenshots that sort of show how I'm handling this. For the allowed ratio, I'm still consulting my code book (no macro for that) once the structures' position on the lot is confirmed by the client. The green polylines are moved to the front for working, and once completed, I select them and move them to the back where they won't be seen (if you print in color like I do). If you're printing with no color, you'd need to make some other minor adjustments. The polylines are really fast to edit to match the window sizes, but of course they do need to be manually edited as windows change. But at least I'm not reaching for my calculator and toggling between 10 different windows to check the code compliance.

image.thumb.png.2910efd8513f497766e8da40a94b3cc8.pngimage.thumb.png.d94e96f31d2c112a2ff6dec592ee88e4.pngimage.thumb.png.4c28aa41d8701d92bed813352479c0a6.pngimage.thumb.png.65ea6f8703e83224cf34cacb68e25785.png

That is pretty much what I do, but I include an elevation with the area boundary shown so that the plans examiner knows how I got to the calculations that I am using.  

I have been trying to get the macro for the window area to work like you are showing in your second pic showing the area circled in blue.  

Here's an example of my "Wall Area Analysis":

• The Wall Areas are derived from a macro in the Wall Labels 
  • The Window Areas are derived from a macro in the Window Labels
  • The Table is self generated in a Text box and dynamically changes as walls and/or windows are resized.

Wall Area Analysis.JPG

This example is done using an Imperial drawing but Metric works correctly as well.

29 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Here's an example of my "Wall Area Analysis":

• The Wall Areas are derived from a macro in the Wall Labels 
  • The Window Areas are derived from a macro in the Window Labels
  • The Table is self generated in a Text box and dynamically changes as walls and/or windows are resized.

Wall Area Analysis.JPG

This example is done using an Imperial drawing but Metric works correctly as well.

I notice this is from a plan view, so the table is for one floor?  If the building had 2 floors and a basement with windows there would be 3 tables?

6 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

I notice this is from a plan view, so the table is for one floor?  If the building had 2 floors and a basement with windows there would be 3 tables?

It could be done with 3 tables but this example shows 2 floors. 

The display is the 1st floor with the 2nd floor as a referenced display.  Using referenced displays you can have as many floors as you like. Note that the "Wall Number" is based on the floor the wall is on.

Only walls with the %wall_areas% in the Label and windows with %wall_opening_areas% in the label are reported.

So you could control which walls are going to be displayed in the table.  Usually, the problem of limiting distance only rears its ugly head on the wall closest to the property line.  Most often only one side yard line needs to be considered where an additional window needs to be added to the design.  Of course, this excersize is needed for all new builds as well.

12 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Note that it only appears that Canadians have a need for the Wall Area Analysis

Just an FYI I do the same analysis in California for performance calcs using CBECC-RES to avoid adherence to table JA4 and adding rigid insulation to additions.

8 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Just an FYI I do the same analysis in California for performance calcs using CBECC-RES to avoid adherence to table JA4 and adding rigid insulation to additions.

Just in case we're not having fun yet, In Canada, our wall areas would be calculated differently as it pertains to different sections of the code. For a glazing percentage that's related to the spread of fire, the wall area is calculated using the overall length of the wall, and the height from finished grade to uppermost ceiling. 

For the wall area relating to energy efficiency, the wall area is calculated as the sum of the interior surface areas of the wall.

On 9/22/2019 at 4:19 PM, Doug_N said:

That is pretty much what I do, but I include an elevation with the area boundary shown so that the plans examiner knows how I got to the calculations that I am using.  

I have been trying to get the macro for the window area to work like you are showing in your second pic showing the area circled in blue.  

It's extremely easy to get that macro; send money to Joe or Michael using paypal! I screwed around for hours trying to figure out a way in Ruby. Then I contacted Michael and I had it in minutes! While I was able to keep working!

I can't stress this enough Doug: When I saw the macro Michael had written, I realized instantly that I would never be able to figure it out. I'd probably be able to learn Egyptian hieroglyphics quicker!

I felt like a genius when I paid a very reasonable bill to save me from all the metric conversions on every single plan I draw!

Here's another example of a time saving macro Michael wrote for me: Elevation Markers in Metric that auto calculate. All the metric number are geodetic elevations and I don't need to calculate them anymore. I do one calculation only per plan and the rest are automatic! Life changing! 

image.thumb.png.8eb96619f390c89be4b5bc99587c0d13.png

37 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Question Rene: did you need to get special training and/or certification to perform, submit energy performance calculations? In Canada, even though the software is free from the govt, a certified Energy Advisor only can submit performance calculations.

30 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Question Rene: did you need to get special training and/or certification to perform, submit energy performance calculations? In Canada, even though the software is free from the govt, a certified Energy Advisor only can submit performance calculations.

No I didnt.

Not sure that is entirely true.. from the NBCC referencing the NECB:

"A competent person may also submit an alternative solution demonstrating that the performance of the building satisfies the objective and function statements attributed to NBC Section 9.36. as a means of compliance. Local authorities have the discretion to accept or reject an alternative solution."

10 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

No I didnt.

Not sure that is entirely true.. from the NBCC referencing the NECB:

"A competent person may also submit an alternative solution demonstrating that the performance of the building satisfies the objective and function statements attributed to NBC Section 9.36. as a means of compliance. Local authorities have the discretion to accept or reject an alternative solution."

That's a good point Rene. The NECB is generally not applicable for houses and the last sentence of that quote is key. In my area, the building officials wouldn't be keen to even look at an alternative solution, and honestly, it wouldn't be cost effective either. Also, that 'competent person' has (locally) been deemed to be an Energy Advisor. I believe that is the general consensus across the country. 

My personal approach is to follow the prescriptive method, which isn't overly onerous in our climate zone, and involve an Energy advisor for performance calcs at a client's discretion.

4 hours ago, robdyck said:

That's a good point Rene. The NECB is generally not applicable for houses and the last sentence of that quote is key. In my area, the building officials wouldn't be keen to even look at an alternative solution, and honestly, it wouldn't be cost effective either. Also, that 'competent person' has (locally) been deemed to be an Energy Advisor. I believe that is the general consensus across the country. 

My personal approach is to follow the prescriptive method, which isn't overly onerous in our climate zone, and involve an Energy advisor for performance calcs at a client's discretion.

In the last few years I started working with a gentleman that coached me into drafting complete plansets using the prescriptive measures of the code coupled with energy calcs; the various counties we work in have been very accepting of this practice..no engineers/architects stamp on a 2 story additions on raised or slab with 2x4 walls and batt fill only. If you reasonable show "competence" around here they let you through.

• 3 weeks later...