Share Plan File

robdyck

The method used should match the type of person you are sharing the plan with:

1. sharing with other Chief Architect Users you should use the "Back up entire plan to zip file" command found under the "File Menu"

2. with Clients or customers I commonly use PDF, panorama and 3D Viewer files

3. Rarely I share a complete plan file when the customer/client is very computer savvy along with a Chief Client Viewer

The method used should fit the receiver of the files

DJP

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, robdyck said:

Does anyone know of a quick and decent way to share a plan file with someone, while removing / locking all the proprietary information (other than saving a backup, then deleting almost everything)?

I'll give a two part answer as I happen to know what you need to share in this instance :)

For myself you can export to 3DS and zip it together with the texture files that accompany it.

For other people that find this thread you should evaluate the goal of the share, in the case of a working relationship I often feel protective over my annotation sets. I always import a goofy or messed up annotation set prior to uploading to these forums. My sets make up 1000's of hours of work and are extremely efficient and valuable as well. To date I've only ever shared them with 1 other user for a long term remote collobaration that had a lot of back and forth...and even then the sets were compiled with theirsets...A ton of work to isolate

Removing items such as client info etc. Is a matter of deleting macros for me, takes 2 seconds.

As the great David Potter mentioned, PDFs and viewers work for clients.

People that want the plan file to work in their own version of Chief need to pay for the services rendered minus a retainer IMO.

Stuff like CAD details don't bother me...easy to delete, but even tougher to recreate the 100's of details I don't have in this plan....if you're structuring a biz to do a lot of sharing, maybe it's worth it to have a details-only plan that you don't share...really depends on the end goal.

I'm protective of macros as some I have purchased from other users.

Other than that I tend to promote open share platforms, lifts everyone up to our level and it pushes me to improve further...so long as I don't give any good reason to get sued, haha.

Just now, Renerabbitt said:

I'll give a two part answer as I happen to know what you need to share in this instance :)

For myself you can export to 3DS and zip it together with the texture files that accompany it.

For other people that find this thread you should evaluate the goal of the share, in the case of a working relationship I often feel protective over my annotation sets. I always import a goofy or messed up annotation set prior to uploading to these forums. My sets make up 1000's of hours of work and are extremely efficient and valuable as well. To date I've only ever shared them with 1 other user for a long term remote collobaration that had a lot of back and forth.

Removing items such as client info etc. Is a matter of deleting macros for me, takes 2 seconds.

As the great David Potter mentioned, PDFs and viewers work for clients.

People that want the plan file to work in their own version of Chief need to pay for the services rendered minus a retainer IMO.

Stuff like CAD details don't bother me...easy to delete, but even tougher to recreate the 100's of details I don't have in this plan....if you're structuring a biz to do a lot of sharing, maybe it's worth it to have a details-only plan that you don't share...really depends on the end goal.

I'm protective of macros as some I have purchased from other users.

Other than that I tend to promote open share platforms, lifts everyone up to our level and it pushes me to improve further...so long as I don't give any good reason to get sued, haha.

I was expecting your reply on this topic! I'll send you a pm explaining.

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I was expecting your reply on this topic! I'll send you a pm explaining.

Pretty much my morning ritual, work for an hour and a half, make a coffee and go solve a quick Chief talk problem to get me motivated for the next 7-10 hours of drafting.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Pretty much my morning ritual, work for an hour and a half, make a coffee and go solve a quick Chief talk problem to get me motivated for the next 7-10 hours of drafting.

Personally, I prefer to see if I can make it through the whole day without any human contact or interaction of any kind...gross. One of the drawbacks of being a sole operator working out of my home office.

Sarcasm...I'm lonely.

Haha It's nice to read others feel the same about working for yourself from a home office. Still, I would never trade it back for the whole corporate job environment with sitting in rush-hour traffic, dressing up, packing lunches, and sitting in boring meetings and coming out feeling like my time was just wasted. America is home of the free, but you really don't get to enjoy that freedom to the fullest until you work for yourself.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, nVisionTEKBIM said:

but you really don't get to enjoy that freedom to the fullest until you work for yourself.

I agree to some extent. What I wasn't prepared for was the "fact" that when I came out of the corporate world (worked there for over 22 years) there wasn't anyone else to blame for my missed schedules, missed budget, bad design - you know the list! And now, instead of one or two people to report to, I have an endless group (clients) who all think I work only on their plan. :unsure: Sorry, OP, for getting off topic.

48 minutes ago, Ridge_Runner said:

I agree to some extent. What I wasn't prepared for was the "fact" that when I came out of the corporate world (worked there for over 22 years) there wasn't anyone else to blame for my missed schedules, missed budget, bad design - you know the list! And now, instead of one or two people to report to, I have an endless group (clients) who all think I work only on their plan. :unsure: Sorry, OP, for getting off topic.

Off topic? At least with a bit of an outlet here, my wife should be off the hook for listening to me vent tonight!

I was never in the corporate world. I spent the last 10 years framing alone plus drafting, and then finally made the switch to just drafting. But @nVisionTEKBIM is right. It's worth it to be your own boss!

• Like 2

On 8/23/2019 at 8:04 AM, robdyck said:

Does anyone know of a quick and decent way to share a plan file with someone, while removing / locking all the proprietary information (other than saving a backup, then deleting almost everything)?

Have you tried edit area copying the plan from your proprietary file and paste it into the oob template that comes with CA?