add attic walls below soffit - manual roof


madcowscarnival
 Share

Recommended Posts

If anyone can offer some insight/advice.  I was unable to set up this roof to draw automatically.  I manually edited to how the client wants it to look, however, I have no walls in the area above the lower roof plane and the higher plane soffit.  I can go to attic level, draw a wall (which then sticks above the main roof) then manually pull it down below the roof surface.  However, this seems like the improper way to do things.  Is there a correct way to create these wall portions, or have Chief do it automatically?

 

Bonus: is there a way to create this roof automatically?  It was originally set up as a high gable over the porch, which was building properly.  With high-soffit hip it tries to build only over the porch.  This is also a bastard-hip roof.  The little hip over the master bath has never been happy with autobuilding over that higher ceiling.  If you auto-build it will demonstrate the issue?

 

Thank you for any help.

19-070 alt roof.plan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, madcowscarnival said:

I can go to attic level, draw a wall (which then sticks above the main roof) then manually pull it down below the roof surface.

That's how I do it.  

It's not ideal, but the program just seems to choke on doing this automatically.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did just build the walls and cut at above ceiling (which Chief apparently recognized the roof as).  However, at the front face of the intersection between the auto wall (on the inside of the porch) and my manual wall, it cuts off the siding at that corner.  Joe, or anyone else watching this, any ideas?

manual wall issue at porch.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

To get the higher roof to auto build over the bathroom, you need to increase the ceiling height to 121 1/9" in the main part of the bathroom, the 2 bits of shower and the bath area.

You can then build a lowered ceiling.

 

Can you explain a bit more about what you want for the roof over the front porch - I got a bit lost.

 

These pics are auto built.

 

New Image_202.jpg

New Image_203.jpg

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, madcowscarnival said:

Thank you dshall.  Is it a glitch that I should send to Chief or just an order of operations error from the janky way I made the wall?

 

It's not a "glitch"...

 

The corner not joining is due to the fact that the front porch room is 144" tall...but on either side of this room you have an "attic room".  You need to build a 2nd floor...give your attic walls "room definition".  This will create a room above the front porch.  You need to set the front porch room to the "default" elevations...then the room created above the front porch room...make that room an "open below" room and set the rough ceiling height to 22 1/4".  Make the front wall of this "room" invisible.  Done....

 

I may make you a video...but it'll take a bit to get that done. 

 

2019-07-25_20-44-16.thumb.png.55c34eda5c5c856dd8bcd8bcec80fa61.png  2019-07-25_20-48-31.thumb.png.c9c07ba06ecfa7ad9cff6176b5478a45.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, madcowscarnival said:

If anyone can offer some insight/advice.  I was unable to set up this roof to draw automatically.  I manually edited to how the client wants it to look, however, I have no walls in the area above the lower roof plane and the higher plane soffit.  I can go to attic level, draw a wall (which then sticks above the main roof) then manually pull it down below the roof surface.  However, this seems like the improper way to do things.  Is there a correct way to create these wall portions, or have Chief do it automatically?

 

Bonus: is there a way to create this roof automatically?  It was originally set up as a high gable over the porch, which was building properly.  With high-soffit hip it tries to build only over the porch.  This is also a bastard-hip roof.  The little hip over the master bath has never been happy with autobuilding over that higher ceiling.  If you auto-build it will demonstrate the issue?

 

Thank you for any help.

19-070 alt roof.plan

 

OK...Cranked out a video.  Should help you...

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Whoa Steve, thank you.  That is some remarkable production quality for a short help video.  Not only did it help me understand the specific issue, there were a number of other tricks I picked up just watching your interaction with the program.  Excellent.

 

Glenn, thanks for the insight on the bathroom, I could not figure out that funky shape it kept giving me.  The front porch roof is supposed to have the high soffit line above the porch, without the separate high gable / high hip.  I find it hard to adequately describe, and I'm likely not using the proper terminology.  SNestors first post right below yours, has a good ortho view of what I manually created.  Probably my inability to describe it translates into my inability to tell the program what I want.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, madcowscarnival said:

Whoa Steve, thank you.  That is some remarkable production quality for a short help video.  Not only did it help me understand the specific issue, there were a number of other tricks I picked up just watching your interaction with the program.  Excellent.

 

Glenn, thanks for the insight on the bathroom, I could not figure out that 

 

Thanks...glad you found it helpful.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share

  • Member Statistics

    30215
    Total Members
    9156
    Most Online
    Kaminski31
    Newest Member
    Kaminski31
    Joined