x11 rope lighting not working

dskogg

Hi All, excited for x11, i cant get rope lighting to work in standard view but works in pbr view? , here is the plan.

Also don't you think its weird that ca made it a rope light and not a LED strip light?  I don't know anyone that uses a rope light as a builder or cabinet company...i know you can adjust thickness but it still appears as a hex...i think ca needs to get into the new millennium with this... 

rope standard.JPG

rope pbr.JPG

rope.zip

4 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

You will need to turn up the Lumens. Standard camera view does not do well with lights at very low lumen settings.

Thanks Graham....that works but doesnt work in pbr...i had to turn it up to 350 luminens to get work but way too bright in pbr..so what then?

wc 350lum.jpg

standard 350lum.jpg

pbr 350lum.jpg

4 minutes ago, dskogg said:

i had to turn it up to 350 luminens to get work but way too bright in pbr..so what then?

That's the problem, I believe that most of the light intensities have been set to accommodate Ray Tracing. PBR seems to handle the light intensities differently. I adjust my lights for PBR and ignore the standard camera view look.

1 hour ago, dskogg said:

.i think ca needs to get into the new millennium with this.

CA is well behind the time in many areas but is slowly updating the Electrical fixtures , so not sure why they made it a Rope either ...what was that a 1990's trend?

M.

14 minutes ago, Electromen said:

Being an Electrician, I really like the new LED Tape.  The default Lumens are 25.  The two product I use are 125 Lumens for standard and 245 for high output.

How do I permanently change the Lumens default for the Tape?

In the Same Defaults as the Shape.... under light Data

You'll have to copy it in the Library and make a second one for the High Output though......( or vica versa)

16 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Replace shape in defaults1441541413_Ropelightshape.thumb.png.8e0268cf81eee4a6c67ebb8beaedb713.png

Brilliant.  I made it 1/8" thick, 245 Lumens and 54" above finish floor.  Much better, maybe a little bright but we normally add a dimmer.

245 Lumens is the manufacturers spec for high output Kichler, 125 is stand output

As to light output and such- may want to see about using spots instead of point lights. There are situations with some cabinet hacks where spots work better. If you need these in a schedule correctly and order these by sizes (I use Hafele) having them in library is handy.

I was trying to make a shallow cove ceiling only 3/4” high, placed rope light inside and it really only worked with pbr.. tried spot and various Lumen settings, also tried spacing and slightly sloping spot lights and nothing worked but pbr..

again makes no no sense for ca to make this a hex.. should just be a rectangle to simulate LED tape lighting 

Essentially the new rope light is nothing more than a string of individual lights and as such controlling those lights is no different than controlling any other light. It's more about the convenience of having the ability to just define the number of lights and their spacing along a path. One thing to keep in mind is that when PBR'ing the more lights the longer it takes. You can see that with the rope light you could easily be adding 100's of lights just going around one room.