Gable decoration

rockyshepheard

Recently I have been given some good advice that it is better to not make an entrance sign under a gable roof (in another program), import and reposition using either 

1. transform/replicate object 

or

2.open symbol ,

in favor of doing something like making it with a door and modifying it.

So my question is where do you draw the line between doing the (door) technique and making an object outside of CA and doing the import/move in 3D procedure.

What about the decorative object under the gable roof, in the photo?

Maybe a better way to pose the question is, in general, what objects should better be created outside of CA?

c7e44339555342836b337f6256606d4b.jpg

There is nothing in that pic that can't be done simple and fast in CA. No need to create symbols.

The only time users are going outside of CA to create a symbol is when the symbol they need is very complex, things like light fixtures, furniture or items with contoured surfaces. Before going through the process of creating your own custom symbol you should first check through all of the CA libraries and then say 3D warehouse.

Also, before choosing to make a symbol you should consider if an Architectural Block is a better choice. The advantage with Architectural blocks is that all of the elements contained within it are fully accessible and editable. Symbols on the other hand are extremely difficult to edit once created, you can resize the overall symbol but you can't change the items within.

• Upvote 1

There is a Bonus Library with Gable Attachments and a KB Tutorial I think , and a Video on how to make that Truss Detail fairly quickly ( if a little roughly in the Video IMHO)

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/3d-library/index.php?r=site/detail/1093

I'll see if I can find the Video , think I was looking at Videos on CAD and Polyline Solids not trusses though.....

• Upvote 1

Thanks, I've just seen the effect of creating in another program a gable bracket and importing into CA. 

When I export the house to 3DS for import into Lumion, and then import into Lumion, the gable bracket is no longer where it should be. 

When I do it with the library symbol, it stays in place!

36 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I'll see if I can find the Video , think I was looking at Videos on CAD and Polyline Solids not trusses though.....

found it......Probably good to watch the whole video but the Gable decoration or Truss starts at about the 12min.

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/77/cad-basics.html?playlist=97

Once made it is pretty easy to turn into a symbol , by copy pasting into a new plan and converting to symbol while in a 3D view.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, rockyshepheard said:

Holes?

Just draw a polyline solid, click on it to select, the last (right) icon bottom of your screen is the create hole function. Just click on it and you can draw a polyline hole in your polyline solid. The hole can be manipulated just like any other polyline. You can place as many holes as you wish as long as they do not overlap another hole or extend outside of the main polyline solid.