Match Properties For 2D Cad

LevisL

Michael's example becomes even more apparent if that wall was a half wall with specific trim caps, etc. Now it is not just changing a wall type. Much more with the click of a button.

Exactly my point.  No how many particular modifications I have made to a door, window, wall, or any other component, a "Match Properties" command is a single click modifier, or duplicator if you wish.  I am NOT saying that Chief's tools are in any way inadequate.  This tool is straight out of AutoCAD and I can see its value as a Chief tool.  Lord knows I can see the value of some of Chief's tools in an AutoCAD environment.

McCrump (as DSH has crowned me)

• Upvote 1

Glenn,

I'm going to look into this further.  I would like to be able to create "Child Buttons" so that I can have a drop down Toolbar.  That way, I could organize my Wall Types for quicker access.  Do you know if this is possible for a user defined toolbar?

Joe,

No, not possible to do custom parent/child toolbars. 

The best I can offer is my suggestion for a custom Toolbar Configuration that only holds tool buttons for that particular group. 

You can then switch between toolbar configurations with 1 click.

Joe,

No, not possible to do custom parent/child toolbars. 

The best I can offer is my suggestion for a custom Toolbar Configuration that only holds tool buttons for that particular group. 

You can then switch between toolbar configurations with 1 click.

OK, I'll study that option.  I did contact support at Chief and requested a Parent/Child Button capability.  Maybe we'll get it in a future version - X9? :unsure::rolleyes:

Sad you can't roll your own. I have over a hundred LISP routine I use in ACAD.
Granted Chief has many tools built in but often in ACAD you prefer to modify a command or use it with defaults of your own.
In ACAD you can create a modified command and assign it to a tool bar button to expedite the process.
Looks like Ruby has been crippled. So helper commands are out of the question.
Let me say I have been using Chief for less than a week so I could be mistaken.

I love Match Properties.
With LISP you can make your own match properties choosing the properties you want to match.
One thing I miss already is a layer Select, I can pick an object to get its layer (or several objects) hit enter
then rectangle an area of the screen & all matching objects on the appropriate layer(s) are selected.
Or hit enter without selecting & all objects in the drawing are selected with matching layers.

I too draw in ACAD with layer sets but use a prefix to separate the layers. F0_layer name for foundation,
F1_layer name for first floor, F2_layer name for second floor, E1_layer name for 1st floor electrical, etc.
So I can draw the house with all layers stacked. I often have several sets ON & have a tool to select an existing text
and then add text matching the layer, text style & text height. That's one click to match & one click to point where
to put the new text.

You see my point that giving the user the power to interact with the drawing on that level open the door to
endless possibilities to customise the user work environment.