Scripts - Macros - Templates - Symbols

Joe_Carrick

In thinking about Scripts (macros to perform repetitive tasks) I think there's been a tendency to ignore ways that Chief provides for these things.

1.  Templates, Defaults, Layersets & Annosets all provide a level of repeatability of certain tasks that might be provided by scripts in other CAD programs.  I recall using Scripts to set up the displayed layers, working layer, etc in other CAD programs - Chief handles that sort of task much easier and faster.

2.  Symbols, Wall Types, Material Definitions, etc stored in the Library provide another set of repeatable functionality.

3.  Ruby Macros provide for formatted text annotation based on Object Data.  There's a lot missing in how much of the Object Data Chief has made available and where it can be used - but there's still a lot of functionality in this Tool.

Would a Scripting Tool (recording and playback with spots where the user could enter values) be nice to have?  Yes, I think it would.  However, I also recognize that a huge amount of that is covered in the Object dbx, Edit Toolbar, Right-Click Menus, Hotkeys, etc. 

Chief has added some really great tools over the past several releases that many don't even realize or haven't taken full advantage of:

Make Current Default - this little wrench on the Edit Toolbar takes the currently selected object and sets its parameters as the Default for both existing and new objects of that type in the Plan

Add to Library - Allows the currently selected Door, Window, Cabinet, Fixture (and even a Wall) to be added to the User Library so that it can be reused.  Whatever steps were required to set up that object's parameters never need to be repeated again.

Drawing Schedule & Revision Schedule - Eliminates a lot of work coordinating sheet names, etc.  Perhaps not 100% perfect yet but really a big step forward.

Select Same / Make Same - I don't use this as much as I could but it's a very powerful editing tool for those cases where you don't want to change the defaults but you want to make identical changes to a number of objects.

Those are just a few examples - there are many, many more.

As I have learned (and am still learning) to take advantage of the above - I've acquired a greater appreciation of just how great a program Chief is.  It can be made better, but it's already d*****d good!!!!

My point is that there's a lot of functionality in Chief that does what a script might do - but it's kind of hidden in how Chief operates.  These things are not named "Scripts" but they do the same job.

• Upvote 1

These things are not named "Scripts" but they do the same job

Joe:

yes, but with scripting language with a recorder we could control

all of that and much, much more

instead of having to run Chief A, then Chief B, C, D etc

we could create a "master" script that run it all with one click

or we could do A, C, E  or A, F, B or .... or ... or...

Lew

Lew,

I have no idea what you said - and obviously you missed my point.  I can take a standard tall cabinet, Insert an Oven, Warming Drawer and a Built-in Microwave - then change the door style, overlay,various dimensions, materials, hardware etc.  I can do all of this in the Cabinet's dbx.  Then I can add it to the User Library. 

The next time I need that cabinet I just pick it from the Library and insert it in a Plan.  I'm free to further modify it of course but all those steps that I took the first time have been saved - it's really better than a script. 

Likewise, I can draw a half wall and make it a single layer 5/16" tempered glass and set it to "No Room Def" with a height of 80" and 6" above the floor.  When I add that to the Library and name it "Shower Wall" I then have a Wall that I can draw in Plan with all of those steps already done.  As I said, this isn't called a "Script" but it in essence does exactly that job.

• Upvote 1

Joe:

Ok, I'll try one more concept

while Chief's "scripts" are useful

they are limited to what Chief has decided to allow

if you want to add another step - can't do

if you want to delete a step - can't do

with Ruby scripts and recorder you can do anything you want

no need to beg and plead for CA to make a change in some future release

Lew

Lew,

Would you prefer that a Script allows you to place that cabinet - then opens the dbx and makes all those same changes - or, requires you to specify what you want?  Either way, it's more work than just selecting the desired cabinet pre-configured from the Library and placing it in the Plan.

it's more work than just selecting the desired cabinet pre-configured from the Library and placing it in the Plan.

Joe:

I could have a script that creates the cabinet as desired

and a script that places it

or it could be all in one script

Lew

Lew,

Would you prefer that a Script allows you to place that cabinet - then opens the dbx and makes all those same changes - or, requires you to specify what you want?  Either way, it's more work than just selecting the desired cabinet pre-configured from the Library and placing it in the Plan.

it's more work than just selecting the desired cabinet pre-configured from the Library and placing it in the Plan.

Joe:

I could have a script that creates the cabinet as desired

and a script that places it

or it could be all in one script

Lew

Or, you could be SMART and use the superb method that Chief has provided. :P

Or, you could be SMART and use the superb method that Chief has provided

Joe:

sorry, but we will have to disagree on this one...

I have seen a zillion posts by you asking for Chief to fix this or add that

If we had a full scripting language 90% (or more) of those requests wouldn't be needed

Lew

• Downvote 1