How Do You Increase Cab Doors With Changing The Box

Troop-420

You change your vertical overlap to something big, then you trick the door down by jacking up the "separation" at top of the wall cab.

See the pic.  Your situation may be close to this.  Adjust the numbers accordingly to get what you want.

I prefer this in wall cabinets and have them built with a 1-1/2" door overshoot at bottom, and a 1-1/4" tall light rail.  This, with frameless cabinets.  Cleaner look, and the undercabinet lighting is nicely housed behind.

post-55-0-36148200-1409487012_thumb.png

• 1 year later...

Can you describe how you'd do that in X8? I'm confused!

This thread is a little confusing to me.  I'm not sure what the goal is.  Do you want the door overlapping the frame or do you want the door hanging past the box?  Which direction...up or down? And for what purpose?

The purpose is to create a 1.25" light rail that looks correct in cross section. 

Here's a quick sample plan with a cabinet modified using the technique I posted in that other thread.  They key is to use an inset side panel on the bottom followed be either a Separation or a manually placed shelf above that.  If necessary you can also adjust the vertical overlap and possibly top separation to get you what you're after.  

Cabinet example.plan

You change your vertical overlap to something big, then you trick the door down by jacking up the "separation" at top of the wall cab.

See the pic.  Your situation may be close to this.  Adjust the numbers accordingly to get what you want.

I prefer this in wall cabinets and have them built with a 1-1/2" door overshoot at bottom, and a 1-1/4" tall light rail.  This, with frameless cabinets.  Cleaner look, and the undercabinet lighting is nicely housed behind.

Nice job Gene

The purpose is to create a 1.25" light rail at looks correct in cross section. 

I use a CAD detail and adjust the lines for the bottom, usually draw in the light and any blocking for it since I angle them toward the backsplash. Easier to dimension, only need one. Can then dimension the molding stack at the top too though usually send as separate layout box.

I also always have to hide lights and rarely have an exposed bottom molding. Block CAD detail and add to library or place in a warehouse plan,one for framed and one for frameless... never need to make it again and rarely have to alter it.