Texture direction in Chief

johnny

I really don't understand texture directions in Chief.  Its difficult enough that individual faces on a shape/object can't be controlled (without exploding), but it sometimes appears textures on other faces of a shape/object aren't even following the same direction the rest are. What madness is this?

I mean the very ends of the wood sections would look like this (the bad area), but the sides should have the same directional grain.

texture.png

To correct this you'll need to do a workaround like using 'faces'. I just finished a project with timber frame trusses in a room that are visible from both side. The texture that is angled for the diagonal members of your timber frame truss will only appear correct on the face that you made them for; that is to say on your example 'good' it will be reversed on the opposite side.

Like you said Johnny, we need to be able to 'explode' in order to get the correct materials on each face. This 'exploding' function applies to many things and could work to various levels.

I ended up using 'faces' to get my timbers correct where the client could see all side in my renderings. I only did this because the scale of the project afforded me the luxury of wasting time like that. On a smaller plan, I can't afford the workaround.

On 9/22/2018 at 9:57 AM, DavidJPotter said:

Yep, I was able to use this method to get the angles correct - but for some reason other faces don't follow the same setting.

For each different angle, you must make a distinct material for just that angle. Only one material will only work for one, a single angle in a plan file. You make a copy for each required angle of the same material. Like in your example truss, it would need to be made from individual pieces or polyline solids, each polyline solid could then have its own material and angle. A truss made of a single polyline solid can NOT be so materialized because it is one object throughout. It makes it more complicated to construct but if you want true realism that is what is required to obtain it. Single objects for a single material and its particular angle.

DJP