Snap to middle of a dimension line

ACADuser

Most often when I am doing framing I draw a rectangle to get the area of load.

In that picture attached I need the middle of the beam SPAN.

I use a dimension to measure the exact span needed for calculations & the I draw a rectangle from the middle of the span to the middle of the roof (in this case lower left of the rectangle). Then I stretch the rectangle on the dimension side to the roof edge & now have the area of load applied to the column.

In my example the middle column is decorative.

CA Snap.JPG

3 hours ago, SNestor said:

Why not create a “cad detail from view”...in the cad detail view draw a line in the center of the dimension...then “paste and hold position” in the plan view.  

If I am following along with what you are trying to say Steve.  I see the logic however Cad Detail from View does not change the properties of the dimension line or text.  This has been requested as an option for other purposes but is not possible yet.

Draw your polygon for the whole roof area on the right hand side of the ridge (twice the area you want).

Make sure that Midpoint Snaps are toggled on - it's easier if it is the only snap toggled on.

Grab the top side of the polygon and drag it down and snap it to the midpoint on the side of the original polygon.

Or...

Draw the polygon twice the size as described above.

Select the top side of the polygon.

Select the temp dim and after the size type in "/2" - without the quotation marks.

The polygon will reduce to half the size of the original polygon.

This will eliminate the top half of the polygon.

If you want to eliminate the bottom half, select it by the bottom side and divide by 2.

There are probably several other good ways as well.

9 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

If I am following along with what you are trying to say Steve.  I see the logic however Cad Detail from View does not change the properties of the dimension line or text.  This has been requested as an option for other purposes but is not possible yet.

Yea...you are correct.  I wasn't at my computer to try this before posting.  But...just thought "Cad Detail from View" turned every item into a "line"...but, I guess not.  

Learn something new everyday with Chief...