Sign in to follow this  
fletcher

Terrain won't show up under cantilever

Hey there! I'm having an issue with getting my terrain to show underneath my cantilever in my plan. any suggestions on how to fix this? I've searched through the chief tutorials and forums but could not find an answer to this problem.

Terrain.PNG

That happens when you build the terrain on the same floor level as the cantilever.

There are several things things you can do.

Build the terrain on a different floor than the cantilever.

Uncheck Hide Terrain Intersected By Building.

Uncheck Hide Terrain Intersected By Building and use a manually drawn Terrain Hole.

• Upvote 1

If you are using X10 you can edit an automatically generated terrain hole.

Thanks for that simple set of solutions. I create and use terrains and often generate them before I do a foundation plan, so pushing it down is more trouble than I usually want to undertake. So I made a quick and dirty video of my preferred solution.

TerrainClipping.mp4

• Upvote 2

Thanks for the response everyone! I didn't know that there was a "Hide Terrain Intersected By Building" box to check so thank you glennw! also Thanks jtcapa1 for the video. you make a valid point and creating a hole using a polyline was very helpful.

Fletcher, I assume you are not using X10.  But when you are able to upgrade there is an automatic new feature that allows editing of the terrain hole around buildings.

From X10 help:

5b9b422f455e2_MakeTerrainHole(s)AroundBuilding(s)tool.JPG.abfec057ae4ea5359253182aaadfd420.JPGIf you prefer to manually control the holes around structures, select the Terrain Perimeter and click the Make Terrain Hole(s) Around Building(s) edit button.

On 9/13/2018 at 1:04 PM, jtcapa1 said:

Thanks for that simple set of solutions. I create and use terrains and often generate them before I do a foundation plan, so pushing it down is more trouble than I usually want to undertake. So I made a quick and dirty video of my preferred solution.

TerrainClipping.mp4

John, Thanks for posting that great video.  Very well done.

19 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

5b9b422f455e2_MakeTerrainHole(s)AroundBuilding(s)tool.JPG.abfec057ae4ea5359253182aaadfd420.JPGIf you prefer to manually control the holes around structures, select the Terrain Perimeter and click the Make Terrain Hole(s) Around Building(s) edit button.

Or you can use Terrain...Feature...Terrain Hole if you want to start from scratch.

On ‎9‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 10:31 AM, Doug_N said:

John, Thanks for posting that great video.  Very well done.

Thanks Doug,  I finally got serious about making video tutorials for CA as a very fast and informative way to show what I'm trying say with words. A picture might be worth a thousand words, but a video is worth much more. :-)

• Upvote 1