Brace Wall Panels

srjbb97

• 6 months later...

Hi Drawzilla, 

Could you elaborate how to do the CAD lines? I have an action on my plan to specify wall panel bracing. Based on IRC, I was going to use the continuous wood structural panel sheathing (OSB) method for the entire barn. In my plan, I am using Stucco-6 siding which contains that sheathing layer; but I do not know how to show that layer only or use CAD blocks (with the OSB Horizontal block from the library). Since my walls are 10 ft, I need to shoBarn2017_Rev1.planw the direction of the panels.

Barn2017_Rev1.plan

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 4:01 PM, DARYL178 said:

i Drawzilla, 

Could you elaborate how to do the CAD lines? I have an action on my plan to specify wall panel bracing. Based on IRC, I was going to use the continuous wood structural panel sheathing (OSB) method for the entire barn. In my plan, I am using Stucco-6 siding which contains that sheathing layer; but I do not know how to show that layer only or use CAD blocks (with the OSB Horizontal block from the library). Since my walls are 10 ft, I need to shoBarn2017_Rev1.planw the direction of the panels.

Barn2017_Rev1.plan

I don't add any 3d osb or plywood to my plan b/c it's all covered up anyway, right now its all 2d cad lines on  their own layer so I can show the holdowns and shear walls on the foundation plan also.  I f I try to show any 3d plywood then it will create a line on the elevations b/c of the wall thickness difference. In real life the contractors will feather the stucco or fir out the rest of the wall for siding to match.

framing sample.PNG

On 12/31/2018 at 6:01 PM, DARYL178 said:

Could you elaborate how to do the CAD lines?

If you need help with learning the CAD tools, check the Reference Manual beginning on page 287. I create a special Annoset/Layerset to display wall bracing, with filled CAD boxes and text callouts to specify the bracing panels and uplift load paths:

mwfrs plan.pdf

If greater detail is required, I will create details, elevations, etc.:

north tall wall framing details.pdf

In my region the plan reviewers, building inspectors, and contractors are still learning common wall bracing methods and practices, so I usually provide more detail than may be strictly required.

• Upvote 1

Its all manual work.  I'm not sure if it works this way with the IRC, but we draw a 4m wide band around the perimeter that all brace walls need to be inside.  I have a custom cad block that contains a label with a text macro to call out the bamd length and specify the total length of required panels.  This saves me a lot of manual work, as plans are required to be submitted with calculations for each band.

One additional note-

I created an individual HD (Holdown) layer for text - cad and callouts. This allows me to add lateral engineering notations - symbols - etc..... on any given floor and then copy and paste in position to floors below to trace those load paths from roof to foundation.

It displays similar to Perry's and is quick to add to each required plan view.