Brick Arch Over Garage Door

SNestor

Can anyone explain to me how I would accomplish drawing a brick arch over a garage door (or any opening for that matter).  See the attached pdf example.

In the example...the trim over the garage door is a 2x that is arched.  The brick sill sits on top of the trim board. 

I have tried to accomplish this by using a polyline converted to a polyline solid...but if I push the object back to the wall...it disappears behind the brick veneer.  This is such a common detail (at least in Indiana it is) that there has to be a simple way of accomplishing this. 

CA is a great program but it seems simple things like attaching a brick sill to the bottom of a window or adding a simple brick soldier to a window.door opening should be a much simpler task.  I think it should be something in the window/door DBX that could be selected. 

Thanks.

Garage Door with Brick Arch Example.pdf

Steve, why are you converting a polyline to a solid? Use a polyline solid directly in the elevation and the polyline solid will attach to where ever you start it, in your case, to the outside of the brick. No need to push it back to the brick. Doing this will also display the solid on the correct floor both in plan view and elevations.

Steve, why are you converting a polyline to a solid? Use a polyline solid directly in the elevation and the polyline solid will attach to where ever you start it, in your case, to the outside of the brick. No need to push it back to the brick. Doing this will also display the solid on the correct floor both in plan view and elevations.

Tommy...thanks for the tip.  I may have tried both methods.  The bigger problem is that it sits on the surface of the brick...which does not look realistic in 3d.  I suppose in a 2d elevation it would look ok.

How about attaching a brick arch above the trim board...in the same radius as the trim board.  I have no clue how to do that...

I'm also experiencing the garage door trim issue I've read about.  If I attach 6" trim to the overhead door...but recess the door to the main layer the 6" trim disappears behind the brick.  So, the only way to get trim along the side of the garage door is to use a polyline solid...but again it sits on top of the brick.  Not very realistic.

Steve, did you trying increasing your trim Depth to something => the siding thickness?  (Sorry, I'm no help on the arch)

jon

Jon - the wall has brick veneer.  The trim is 2" thick.  I can see the trim if I don't mind in laying on top of the brick veneer...but, this isn't how it's built.  The trim attaches to the sheathing.  The brick abuts the trim. 

In the overhead door DBX -  when I select recess to main layer the exterior trim disappears.  I believe this is occurring on entry doors as well.  Some sort of glitch in the software I think...

I did figure out a way to create brick soldier/sill etc.  There is a decent article in the CA help files.  Still fiddling around with it...but basically once the object is created I can attach it to a molding polyline and boom...brick sill.  Not sure how to get the brick object the same color as the brick I'm using.  It's always something.

Thanks

I would use a 3D Molding Symbol on a 3D Molding Polyline.  The Symbol would be a single Brick + a grout space (soldier course) and the 3D Molding Polyline would be an arch drawn in the Elevation View.  For the Material of the Brick, use a grainy brick red color/texture - don't use an actual brick texture.

The other option would be just a 2D Molding Profile on the 3DMolding Polyline and a Brick Texture.