Rich Text and layers

SNestor

I guess I'm just figuring this out...but, when you place text on a drawing using "rich text"....it will be placed on the layer specified in the annotation set...but, the size and font of the text is really independent of the layer.  You can increase the size of some or all of the text and you can even change the font.  

So...bottom line, with Rich Text...the layer does not control the text at all.  

Am I correct...or am I missing something?

Steve if you go under the layer and whichever layer display option at the bottom of the layer display option you can change the text style to the type and size you want that will change everything on that layer to the style and size I think that is what you are asking

16 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I have no problem changing it using the text style in the layerset. i have 10 or 15 different text-styles depending on what I want to show all in rich text.

I have multiple text styles also...but my point is that you can "over ride" the text style that is assigned to the layer easily when using rich text.  The text style that is assigned to the layer for text is just there as a place holder...for your default text style for that layer (hope that makes sense).  

When you place rich text you can assign any size, font or color to any or all parts of the text.  It will be placed on the layer you designated...but not necessarily use the "default" text assigned to that layer.  

Yes?  Or...am I confused.  

Rich Text 1.png

As far as I know, you are mostly correct.  Rich text does not use Text Styles.  The layer mostly just controls whether or not the rich text object is displayed.  It can also control the color of the text, but only if "Layer Color Text" is checked on the Appearance panel.

Also, just as an FYI, you can control whether rich text or normal text is placed when you use the Leader Line tool in your preferences.

I don't see how the text style for Rich Text could ever be controlled by layer since Rich Text by very nature can (and usually does) have multiple text styles.  I would argue that if you want your text style to be controlled by layer, then you should probably just be using normal text.

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I don't see how the text style for Rich Text could ever be controlled by layer since Rich Text by very nature can (and usually does) have multiple text styles.  I would argue that if you want your text style to be controlled by layer, then you should probably just be using normal text.

Yes...I’m slow.  Just figured this out.  

Although the way this works isn’t exactly clear...at least to some of us.  One of the reasons I posted this topic was to help those who may have not realized how rich text worked.