robdyck

A door that doesn't open

Does anyone know how to show a door in elevation view without an opening indicator. Example, a fixed sidelite as part of an entry door unit. I currently just delete the line with the 'edit layout' tool. Obviously this little task has to be repeated...

sl1.thumb.jpg.f7dc85152e508e9f21eb1259fc31b701.jpg

17 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Does anyone know how to show a door in elevation view without an opening indicator. Example, a fixed sidelite as part of an entry door unit. I currently just delete the line with the 'edit layout' tool. Obviously this little task has to be repeated...

need to explode the mulled unit and set the sidelite to fixed and then re-mull the unit

37 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

and set the sidelite to fixed

Where is this fixed setting you refer to?

14 hours ago, robdyck said:

I don't think there's any good way to do that and still leave the sidelite as a door.  I think your best bet is to just make the sidelite a doorway and place the door panel manually (as a freestanding symbol).

16 hours ago, robdyck said:

I currently just delete the line with the 'edit layout' tool.

This is the most often used way for me. It is quick unless there are several of these to do -- or you are editing the view often and have to do this over and over. I wish we had a way to turn these off per instance if needed.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Alaskan_Son said:

I don't think there's any good way to do that and still leave the sidelite as a door.  I think your best bet is to just make the sidelite a doorway and place the door panel manually (as a freestanding symbol).

15 hours ago, solver said:

Where is this fixed setting you refer to?

Solver you're absolutely right, I was missing a ton of steps. 

In past I have used the delete surface tool with hidden hinges and removed hardware and then convert the door to a window symbol..which is why I was remembering setting something to "fixed"

Here is a mulled unit with the sidelite as a window using the method mentioned above. mulled door and sidelite.calibz

You can see in elevation it shows as intended:

5aa7fe7b889a8_mulleddoorsidelite.thumb.PNG.01ebdd2b28e70ba8c8fcd73fa45be6b2.PNG

and in 3d:

5aa7fe8792bed_mulleddoorsidelite2.thumb.PNG.be5e5e351e35cdc3752d52d9f0af185d.PNG

My main problem is with insertion points and offsets with how the cad generated block shows...which is why I reposted Alaskan as I feel as if he would have the solution to that part of the problem:

5aa7fe9700a04_mulleddoorsidelite3.thumb.PNG.72bcaf5aec97285c67bb18f18df87319.PNG

7 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

My main problem is with insertion points and offsets with how the cad generated block shows...which is why I reposted Alaskan as I feel as if he would have the solution to that part of the problem:

5aa7fe9700a04_mulleddoorsidelite3.thumb.PNG.72bcaf5aec97285c67bb18f18df87319.PNG

That is one of many reasons I very rarely use window symbols for anything.  I'd typically rather just cut the opening (using material regions, a doorway, or a pass through) and then place the symbol as a regular fixture.  And now, in X10 we have the new Inserts Into Wall option which basically gives you the cutout and the symbol all in one. 

Thanks Michael, 

I figured I'd need to do that. That's how I make folding glass walls ( like Nana Wall or Panoramic Doors) appear accurately.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Thanks Michael, 

I figured I'd need to do that. That's how I make folding glass walls ( like Nana Wall or Panoramic Doors) appear accurately.

Yep.  That's my preferred method for those as well. 

Your window method intrigues me. I've played around with developing my own window symbols but haven't had the time to complete anything. That would really help with accurate modelling as I do a lot of my details in 3D.

BASEMENT WINDOW SILL.jpg

On 3/13/2018 at 10:03 AM, Ridge_Runner said:

This is the most often used way for me. It is quick unless there are several of these to do -- or you are editing the view often and have to do this over and over. I wish we had a way to turn these off per instance if needed.

in this case it might be best to draw a WHITE LINE over them opening indicator.  Still a bit tedious but at least it hides the indicator if the view is updated.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dshall said:

in this case it might be best to draw a WHITE LINE over them opening indicator.

That's a good method also if there are only a few to do.

I hear what you're saying but in the image you'll see why a white line doesn't work. I do everything in color.

image.png