Just Started Using Chief Architect.

RobersonConstruc

Any One With Suggestions:

I just started working for a construction company, I am the drafter/estimator. I have never used Chief Architect before. Any tips or suggestions would be a great help. I am watching the tutorials. I have drawn a floor plan so far. From the tutorials I see there are a lot options and possibilities. I will start with something simple. Is there a way to trim a wall up to another wall? Anything anyone can help me with would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day.

If you have a solid knowledge of constitution and structural design CA is a great tool to generate your drawings and client presentations.

Once you work your way through the training as mentioned above I think you will see that creating designs and CD's comes fairly smoothly.

That said there is always more to learn no matter how long we have been at it ;)

Number one: Carefully read the "Users Guide" found under the "Help Menu", You do not build a structure exactly following the procedure you commonly use in the field

Number two: watch the following video series by Dan Bauman on You Tube:

There are more at YouTube but these will get you started right

DJP

I was able to draw a floorplan up of my foundation. I did not realize that you build your foundation off of your first floor plan. That is the way that I was shown on the tutorial videos.Is there any way to make a floor plan your foundation and build up? I had drawn my basement first, It was drawn as my first floor. Is there a way to tell the software that it is my foundation?

One simple way would be to build the foundation as a blank floor plan, then copy and paste everything from floor 1 to floor 0. Then delete everything on floor 1 and rebuild, or select all the walls and change the wall type to your chosen framed wall.

Agreed with Eric-

This forum and it's contributors are a great resource but all of us put in a lot of time to learn this software. While we are all willing to help with certain topics of specific situations this is not an online classroom to teach CA.

That is what the videos Eric and David are for.

( your question about the relationship of 1st floor and foundation is a good example of what they will teach you.)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Faze5_3D
    Newest Member
    Faze5_3D

• By Elopez
      Hello, I'm new to chief architect and I'm trying to use this sink that I wants in my model but is not in the library so I have to download it from the website. But when I do it comes out in 2D and the 3D one doesn't come out like I want. I have downloaded the sink in drawing DWG, OBJ and I don't know what to do. The pictures at the bottom are the sink and what I get when downloaded.   sink 
        DWG
         OBJ 
    • By Renerabbitt
      I offer some of the fastest turnaround in the industry on LARGE complex projects. Need a model built? A rendering complete? Elevations? A fully hosted 3d model to walk through?
      Let me be your first stop to solving your urgent needs.

Created in Chief Architect X-13 in less than a day

Other Offer Services Posts:

• By CharlesVolz
      I am a creative designer who has acquired unique experiences and perspectives from my collection of work as a designer and builder. I have degrees in structural engineering (BS Rice University) and architectural engineering (MS University of Texas at Austin) and have planned, designed, developed and built various, diverse projects over my 30-year career. 

I am a member of the American Institute of Building Design ("AIBD"), which provides quality continuing education to ensure its members remain current with technology, materials and building codes. AIBD holds its members to the highest standards of ethics and professionalism.

I utilize the latest technology like GoToMeeting to work with customers live online and OBS Live to record "how-to" videos for builders, designers and DIYers, instructing home design using Chief Architect. Training includes Chief Architect versions X10, X11, X12 and X13 for beginners to intermediate.

I have worked with owners, builders, designers and architects from all over the U.S., Canada, New Zealand and England. I offer time-saving design assistance as well as expert training in Chief Architect. I am available to design your home from concept to working drawings, assist you in learning Chief Architect and/or improve your existing home design.

Whether you need a home designer or just a few hours of training, I can accommodate you.

Regards,
      Charles

Charles K. Volz
      Castlerock Designer Homes
      947 Cheyenne Creek
      San Antonio, Texas 78258
      Phone:  210 744-7489
      Email:   CVRE@sbcglobal.net
      Web:     CastlerockDesignerHomes.com
    • By LaurieD
      Hi all - I am a brand new user to CA interiors and have watched a few videos which suggest adjusting the settings, toolbars, etc. 

Several suggest using Extended toolbar Configuration as a first step.... and I am missing the Extended and the Terrain Config files entirely. I have the Space Planning and the Default Configurations.  Is there a download center where i can import these files to my computer? A quick search comes up with nothing on installing these as it seems they should be part of the default install. 

Thanks for any help you can provide