RobersonConstruc

Just Started Using Chief Architect.

Any One With Suggestions:

I just started working for a construction company, I am the drafter/estimator. I have never used Chief Architect before. Any tips or suggestions would be a great help. I am watching the tutorials. I have drawn a floor plan so far. From the tutorials I see there are a lot options and possibilities. I will start with something simple. Is there a way to trim a wall up to another wall? Anything anyone can help me with would be greatly appreciated. Have a great day.

3 minutes ago, RobersonConstruc said:

I will start with something simple. Is there a way to trim a wall up to another wall?

What is "trim a wall up to another wall"?

Also a good idea to fill out your signature (see mine for an example) by clicking on your user name at the top right of the page, click Account Settings, then Signature on the left. The Chief version -- X9, X10 etc is key, other info is always helpful.

I would look into the video tutorials on Chieftutor.com   (Paid, but inexpensive.) David does a very good job of getting you up to speed quickly. Then, I think, you can work your way through the Chiefarchitect.com tutorials for completeness. 

Another site you might look at is ChiefExperts.com, I have been using Chief for awhile and belong to both of those groups, well worth it

If you have a solid knowledge of constitution and structural design CA is a great tool to generate your drawings and client presentations.

Once you work your way through the training as mentioned above I think you will see that creating designs and CD's comes fairly smoothly.

That said there is always more to learn no matter how long we have been at it ;)

Number one: Carefully read the "Users Guide" found under the "Help Menu", You do not build a structure exactly following the procedure you commonly use in the field

Number two: watch the following video series by Dan Bauman on You Tube:

There are more at YouTube but these will get you started right

DJP

I was able to draw a floorplan up of my foundation. I did not realize that you build your foundation off of your first floor plan. That is the way that I was shown on the tutorial videos.Is there any way to make a floor plan your foundation and build up? I had drawn my basement first, It was drawn as my first floor. Is there a way to tell the software that it is my foundation?

One simple way would be to build the foundation as a blank floor plan, then copy and paste everything from floor 1 to floor 0. Then delete everything on floor 1 and rebuild, or select all the walls and change the wall type to your chosen framed wall.

Agreed with Eric-

This forum and it's contributors are a great resource but all of us put in a lot of time to learn this software. While we are all willing to help with certain topics of specific situations this is not an online classroom to teach CA.

That is what the videos Eric and David are for.

( your question about the relationship of 1st floor and foundation is a good example of what they will teach you.)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    mzmiller
    Newest Member
    mzmiller

• By Designers_Ink
      Designer's Ink is a full-service building design firm based out of Stillwater, Oklahoma; however, we have worked on projects in 27 different states and 5 different countries.  We have been in business since 1993 and have 5 designers and draftsmen on staff to serve you.  We specialize in creating stunning 3D models of your building project so you can see exactly what the building will look like before you build.  This significantly reduces the costs of change orders during construction.  Many of our clients have told us they saved more in construction costs using our services than they paid for our services due to reduced change orders and value engineering during the design.

Once your 3D model is completed, we then produce easy to read construction documents.   We take a lot of pride in our construction documents which we customize for each client's specific needs.  Our goal is to produce our construction documents in such a way that the folks on the ground building the project have everything they need, and in a format they can use efficiently.  

With over half of our clients being from out of state, we have been working remotely with clients for years.  With the current restrictions caused by the COVID-19 pandemic, already having a system in place to communicate with our clients remotely is essential.  We have been using our system for years, so we know it works well.  We also offer one-on-one tutoring services for both Chief Architect and Home Designer Pro.  We have been using Chief Architect for 16 years.

Please take a moment to look at our website at www.designersink.us for more information about our company.  If you would like to set up a free, no-obligation initial consultation, contact us to schedule a time that works for you.  We look forward to EXCEEDING your expectations. 

Jeff Dillon - Owner / Designer

• By tlconstruct
      Hi guys, I'm new here and pretty new to Chief Architect. I have Home Designer Suite 2020, not the Premier version. I'm a graphic designer, just working up plans for a builder to show his concepts to clients. I'm having problems with a shed roof. I've looked up a bunch of videos and steps on how to do it, but it's not coming out quite right. I'll attach images.

I have the 2nd floor height set to 2 feet, because that seemed to be the only way to get the roof to go Shed. The front (high) wall of the 2nd floor needs to be about 10 ft tall, and the back wall needs to be 2-3 ft tall. I have the front wall marked as High Shed/Gable Wall, the back as a Knee Wall, and the two side walls as Full Gable. In the video I watched, the side walls automatically adjusted to fill in, and the high shed wall bumped up as well to the height it needed to be for the roof pitch (which I have set as 3" in 12). I just can't seem to figure out where I've gone wrong and would very much appreciate some advice!

• By jheath21
      I'm working on this project for a summer class.. I'm finished and was taking perspectives and a couple ray trace. I changed some of the settings in the ray chase for lights and such, and then I move to another part of the building and the ceiling is gone!! What did I do wrong? And how do I fix it?! Please help!!
      I attached a snap of the outside of the building...no ceiling in the center (also I know my glass panels extend above the ceiling don't judge me)

• By Flach2
      I Just wanted to introduce myself. I’ve been in the building business for 25 plus years, mainly remodeling, (some new homes). Cabinet maker, finish carpenter, remodeler among other things. (I know how things go together!) Can communicate with Architects, builders & remodelers well. Have been certified in & using Chief since version 6. Have been working remotely all over the country for many years. I work fast & reasonably, usually from a matter of days to 2 weeks turn around time. Please see my work here: www.theprojectdesigners.com Plan examples & references available on request.   Thank You for Considering me, Tom Flachbart from The Project Designers   603 770 6078 tom@theprojectdesigners.com   Example_Plans.pdf

• By FerneKing
      Looking for a local person skilled in Chief Architect in Melbourne, Australia - can anyone help ?