Best way to export a floorplan for an Autocad user?

ChiefRezarel

Have been working on a floor plan that I want to provide to our architect in order to save him some time on the initial layout and dimensions.  What's the best way to go about this?  I know I want to export to DWG, but how do I do so in a way that's most useful and doesn't export a lot of unnecessary information?  Is there a preconfigured set that's great for this, or what layers should I make visible at a minimum prior to the export?  For reference I'm using v9.  Thanks in advance.

My preferred method (as a long time AutoDesk operator):

1. In Plan, turn on the Layerset for the view you'd like to export. Make sure it's displaying everything you want to export.

2. Select File>Export>Export Current View (DWG,DXF)...

3. In the Export Drawing dialog box, you have important choices:

a. Compatible Version. Make sure you select a version that the architect can import (ask him what version/flavor of AutoDesk software they are using).

b. Layer Options.

- Select the Layer Set you've tweaked to display what you want to export (this was step 1).

- DO NOT select Split Wall Assemblies Into Layers. This option creates an unholy mess for the CAD operator.

- Select Export Only Displayed Layers.

c. Other Options.

- Scaling Unit should be inches for sharing with an architect.

- Select Create Associative Dimensions.

- DO NOT select Export Pattern Lines. This is another unholy mess.

- DO NOT select Export Filled Areas. Yet another mess.

- Select Export AutoCAD Index Colors. This is probably the single most important option. Absolutely do not forget to select this option.

4. Click on Export, etc.

Done.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

• 1 month later...

I have Home Designer Pro 2018, and I don't see Export AutoCAD Index Colors. I don't see Layerset either. My drafter is complaining about the DXF that I exported, saying the following:

The problem is that the lines are not connected, are not in their own layer, and are not assigned a standard color. There are lines that I can't even see unless I zoom in and do a selection window. Walls should just be drawn with two lines, but the way your program exported the floor plan, it has lines for drywall, lines for studs,  two layers of plywood and finishes. The problem with having so many lines on top and next to each other is that when the drawings are printed it all comes out as big thick lines, so all lines in between need to be erased or hidden.

How can I properly export this? Are the features I need not available in the version I purchased? Very frustrated.

1014_B_Addition-_external_stairs.4.3.plan

2 hours ago, ScottSchafer said:

I have Home Designer Pro 2018, and I don't see Export AutoCAD Index Colors. I don't see Layerset either. My drafter is complaining about the DXF that I exported, saying the following:

How can I properly export this? Are the features I need not available in the version I purchased? Very frustrated.

1014_B_Addition-_external_stairs.4.3.plan

You don't have "Layersets" in Pro  but you can try turning on "Main Wall Layer Only" in Display Options which will eliminate the Drywall etc...basically shows the Framing line only. (Blue in your plan) , Turn Off Wall Layers too if Pro has that in Display Options?

Did you have all the Framing Displayed too when you exported the DXF the 1st time? they are off in this plan..... but in display Options turn off EVERYTHING he doesn't need to see 1st , then export it , that may do it, not sure though as I don't use AutoCad.

You could also download the free DraftSight CAD program and look at the DXF , so you see what is being exported

https://www.3ds.com/products-services/draftsight-cad-software/free-download/

M.

ScottSchafer, you should  download the Reference Manual and start reading at page 858. Mick has good advice. Home Designer Pro doesn't provide an option to choose the Layerset to use for export, but it's not difficult to create a new "export" Layerset and activate it before beginning the export process. Index Colors is another story - I don't know what Home Designer Pro does with this - maybe it automatically exports the Index Colors, maybe not; regardless, the draftsperson should be able to cope. Ultimately it's up to the draftsperson to work with what you give them - it may involve more work, but drawing exchange between software products is always an issue.

Personally, I export all floors together.  I had a 7 story condo last year I had to work with.

The problem is that Chief uses the floor designator as a suffix on the layer name 7 make it impossible to sort by floor.

So I created a LISP routine to rename the layers & make the suffix a prefix.

Now you can sort by name & easily turn floors on & off in Autocad.

The other issue i have is I like black background in Model space so the layers don't show well.

I don't care about the colors as much as I like black background so I have another LISP I run to change all objects to color BY Layer

and then turn all layer to white.

Note that LISP is a program that runs in AutoCAD like Ruby in Chief, sort of:)

Layer CA.LSP

Bylayer-Color.lsp

• 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...

What is typically included in a full CAD set for a home? I have a client who purchased the CAD file from me and I sent out dwgs for the main floor, foundation and roof. Should I also do elevation views etc? Or ask if they want the 3D dwg?  I'm not a AC user, so I'm not sure what is standard.