Thinking of upgrading my MAC COMPUTER, should I?

dshall

39 minutes ago, dshall said:

Whoa,  when somebody suggested unchecking a default  (I do not remember what),  CA came aboard and said DON'T DO THIS...  so I hope CA will chime in here and let us know what to do.  BTW,  below is what my default is.

Hey Graham,  thanks tons for sticking with this.  The lack of performance is really going to hurt us unless this gets resolved before final release.

5a7739c4c57c9_ScreenShot2018-02-04at8_48_07AM.thumb.png.64edb7c86c4f28ffb65d6146111b5648.png

The only difference I have is hardware edge smoothing is set to high on my system.

2 hours ago, dshall said:

doubt your machine will be any different than the machines I have already tested. 

Scott how does your problem plan compare to Grandview? If similar get in touch, if worse you're prolly right.

In any case..

I just diddled about on the Sager- took 3 plans I had brought over to X10 and grandview, then kept gpu-z, windows perfomance thing, and CPU-Z open.

Oddly one or two of my files were a tad slower than grandview but didn't use as much resources. I had turned off anything extraneous at all when first test them, while I had rebooted prior to running grandview.

Plans-H oddly the smallest-20 mb about 12000 ; Z-32mb-28k surfaces; P two plans 8 and 30mb w/ layout 2.8mb,and grandview layout and plan.

Ran each one at a time but if layout then that and all layout files. Went through series of views, moved, changed vector-standard-pdb (PBR with full light sets where I had them RCS & bloom off but all else on); opened DBx's, moved roof plane and undo, full overviews with same cycles, send to layout live view, update individual views, opened views from layout...pretty much anything I could think of. Preference-edge smoothing high, horizon ON. Everything possible in my OS is set to max performance so a lot of cute Windows things are off all the time.

In short- Only Grandview pegged my processor briefly to 100% and only with PBR on.

GPU- only ever pegged for a second with PBR. The biggest changes I saw in GPU were memory and core clock (idle 162 - 1252 and memory usage (208 idle-1613). Highest was update vector live view.

DBX - 1 to 1-12 seconds.  slower than X9 but not annoying, library no issue. Managed once or twice to get the white screen after switching to PBR but went away after switching back and forth (occasionally 3 times). The only exception was that I was unable to clear the burnt out white screen if I had another PBR open.

Memory used hit 6.8 gb but that was with firefox open and grandview moving and undoing a roof plane- (was fast enough)

I have not got a clue what it all means in conjunction with what Graham had to offer, but was a good way to waste the morning.

5 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I have not got a clue what it all means in conjunction with what Graham had to offer, but was a good way to waste the morning.

You're absolutely right about wasting the morning!!!

I have also been using the Grandview plan for most of my testing. I think I've almost flogged this horse to death.

All I can conclude at this time is that the lag is directly related to some CPU based computations that CA is doing before it gets handed over to the GPU. The amount of computation appears to be directly related to the amount of model that is being displayed according to the Display Layer Options. This seems to hold true for all camera view types. In plan view this also affects the speed at which one can pan and zoom.

Other than turning off display layers I can't seem to find any other remedy.

At this time if one already has a reasonable hardware configuration I would not recommend spending a bunch of money on new hardware if you are attempting to overcome this issue. It seems to be a CPU based operation so if your CPU is half decent then a newer CPU is not likely going to provide much improvement, if any at all.

34 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

All I can conclude at this time is that the lag is

Not so sure I wasted all that time, at least it kept me amused and I wanted to get an idea of how some of my plans compared. Pretty close .

Just checked Larry's famous roof undo plan. Did not check undo again since we went through that (I was ever so slightly faster than him as I recall?).

Plan, full overview, and interior perspective open, no layout.

Opening DBX for: roof plane, psolid and a couple of other objects were on par with X9 instant; window and wall were just under a second, fireplace split the difference. Went back to Grandview and about the same as that plan. Didn't bother monitoring anything since results were close to each other-not terrible to me but would like to see it faster.

Mark - On the Grandview plan, if I do a standard camera view and stretch out a roof plan it takes about 3 seconds and if I undo it, it takes about 4 seconds. If I double click on say a window the DBX it opens instantly, when I close it it takes about 3 seconds before I can click something else. This is with about 1.4 million surfaces. If I turn off enough display layers to get the surfaces down to say half a million then everything is more than fast enough.

3 hours ago, dshall said:

Whoa,  when somebody suggested unchecking a default  (I do not remember what),  CA came aboard and said DON'T DO THIS...  so I hope CA will chime in here and let us know what to do.  BTW,  below is what my default is.

Hey Graham,  thanks tons for sticking with this.  The lack of performance is really going to hurt us unless this gets resolved before final release.

5a7739c4c57c9_ScreenShot2018-02-04at8_48_07AM.thumb.png.64edb7c86c4f28ffb65d6146111b5648.png

Dermot or Brian Beck said to never turn off Global Illumination unless told to by Tech Support to do it during Trouble Shooting...

4 hours ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Fixed the overall vector performance view issue, in preferences render there is an option for Horizon Lines, unchecking this solved my issue. By default this is checked.

Still have not found a way to change the default view type in a DBX, always shows in vector view.

so the checkbox in Preferences does not work for you G. ?

2.thumb.JPG.47961cf99a4734eb6f0e28e17ed14d5e.JPG

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

so the checkbox in Preferences does not work for you G. ?

2.thumb.JPG.47961cf99a4734eb6f0e28e17ed14d5e.JPG

Never tried that one. I was trying to change the DBX preview type via the default settings DBX. In there you are given 4 choices, Standard, Vector View, Glass House and Plan View. They do not seem to filter through.

2 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Never tried that one. I was trying to change the DBX preview type via the default settings DBX. In there you are given 4 choices, Standard, Vector View, Glass House and Plan View. They do not seem to filter through.

I thought it always returned to whatever you set in Preferences  (above pic) but you could change it in the DBX if needed.... I had not noticed a new setting in Defaults or missed it? Before my 980ti I used Vector to make things faster in everyday use, then switched in the DBX if I needed it to check something.

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I thought it always returned to whatever you set in Preferences  (above pic) but you could change it in the DBX if needed.... I had not noticed a new setting in Defaults or missed it?

It's likely one of those odd things, why have a setting in a default DBX that won't be recognized as a default?

48 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Mark - On the Grandview plan, if I do a standard camera view and stretch out a roof plan it takes about 3 seconds and if I undo it, it takes about 4 seconds. If I double click on say a window the DBX it opens instantly, when I close it it takes about 3 seconds before I can click something else. This is with about 1.4 million surfaces. If I turn off enough display layers to get the surfaces down to say half a million then everything is more than fast enough.

I get about the same stretching a roof and undo. Don't have that issue with the DBX- 1/2 second to open by either keyboard or double click, select another object instantly after close. I've got 113K surfaces with the default camera layerset.

Checked stretch roof and undo in X9 and it was a whisper slower.

Ahhhh Ok I thought you meant there was a new Setting somewhere in Defaults ....I don't believe those Options are Defaults in the Usual sense ie Settable per Item, ie Colour on/off etc doesn't work as a default Either.    Standard or Vector , doesn't effect the DBX Lag much for me , it's marginal , on an Intel GFX Card, maybe it would?

I am still thinking RCSS's are being used in ALL views including DBX's and the Library by default.....

3.JPG

Probably because then CA would need to track "Default" Views for possibly thousands of Item DBXs and how you set the View for Each.... 

I think the Defaults Settings DBX , just uses the standard Item's DBX so those 4 Items are shown but don't do anything.

13 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

I get about the same stretching a roof and undo. Don't have that issue with the DBX- 1/2 second to open by either keyboard or double click, select another object instantly after close. I've got 113K surfaces with the default camera layerset.

Checked stretch roof and undo in X9 and it was a whisper slower.

We should be similar as our CPU's are the same.

Have you tried panning and zooming the floor plan. It's terrible for me if I  use the All On Display Layer Set.

Just now, Kbird1 said:

Probably because then CA would need to track "Default" Views for possibly thousands of Item DBXs and how you set the View for Each.... 

I think the Defaults Settings DBX , just uses the standard Item's DBX so those 4 Items are shown but don't do anything.

I suspect you are correct about them just using the standard item's DBX. But this is an example where taking a programming shortcut can lead to confusion. They should at least "Grey-Out" the settings that are not applicable.

35 minutes ago, TheKitchenAbode said:

Have you tried panning and zooming the floor plan. It's terrible for me if I  use the All On Display Layer Set.

Just tried it. Guess you use all on to tax the system? taxes my eyes and brain. Yeah that is laggy in both X10 and 9 oddly for me it seemed worse in 9.

Oddly both CPU and GPU usage is much at all, no memory use or reads to speak of and zero writes.

We have a decent difference in our GPUs and for some actions I tested memory use was hitting 6.8 where I have a bigger cushion there but don't know if that matters. I get a very slight edge when writing to disk (undos) with Raid. We both know that raw numbers alone are not the only factor-could be bottlenecks at the Mobo? I don't even know what mine has. OTOH you are having ok results with an older Spectre than I'm getting on mine.

20 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

OTOH you are having ok results with an older Spectre than I'm getting on mine.

There must be something in the settings. I've been using the Grandview plan and it seems to be ok, a bit slower for a camera to open and also for a DBX to open but not terrible. I sort of expect this as it's CPU is a lower frequency than my 6700K and it has half the cores.