Moving Walls

joedesign30

Go to solution Solved by DRAWZILLA,

New to Chief architect.  I have created a 1 story with finished basement floor plan.  I generated the basement walls from the first floor plan.  Later on in the design i changed the 1st floor wall dimensions slightly.  will the basement footprint update automatically?

will the basement footprint update automatically?

No, you can order it rebuilt in a new unit of time and then it will match the first floor, if you don't it will stay out of alignment until you rebuild or manually align the walls, floor to floor.

DJP

You can turn on "automatically rebuild foundation" in the build foundation dialog and then any changes you make on the first floor will result in the foundation walls being rebuilt.  This is probably not very useful if you have a finished basement though.

When you are manually moving your basement walls to line them up with your first floor walls, it usually a good idea to turn on the "reference display" so that you can see them.  Also, if you have walls that are close but not exact, you will see an edit button called "align with wall above" which is very handy to line them back up.

use the align walls tool on the edit toolbar as KT said   cos if you rebuild the foundation you will LOSE EVERYTHING already drawn down there and need to start again.....  only rebuild if you have no walls doors bathrooms etc down there ie the basement is blank....

Thanks for the reply guys!  This was my first post on the chief architect forums and i am impressed with the helpful replys. 

I still have a few more questions.  DJP- if i rebuild my foundation then will i loose any interior walls, doors, windows, or stairs i have created in the basement?  Mgabriel - thanks for the heads up.  I was wondering how the walls will align themselves (if its to the exterior siding layer, or to edge of concrete layer etc).

Oh and were is the spell check button on this forum text editor? :-P

Yes if you had rebuilt the Basement you would of lost everything as I mentioned above , it deletes the whole foundation and re-does it , it doesn't just "repair" any issues it finds....

The Align tool uses whatever is set in the Wall definition as the main layer to do alignments , usually the framing layer on framed walls and for foundations since only one 8" thick layer the outside of the Concrete.  (Here the plywood is usually flush with the concrete in real life though)

M.

It doesn't

I was answering his question about a method where he could have a foundation, basement, 1st floor plans that will re-generate the foundation walls correctly. Foundation alignment is then possible. I never put a basement w- rooms on the foundation level.

Ahhh missed that part of the question somewhere :)    is there another thread on your technique, or has Scott done videos , like to look into it more as I do it the standard way now.....

Thanks.

M.