Chrisb222

Operable Windows in 3D?

Recommended Posts

Hi, I can't find any way to show windows open like you can with doors. Client wants to see 3D pics of house comparing awning and casement windows ... open. I already told him "Sure no problem!" Ugh lol. Time for the walk of shame..... :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No bad to do manually if you don't have many windows.

 

ct1.thumb.jpg.e07a36c3776ef719533f996af43d7e83.jpg

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, solver said:

No bad to do manually if you don't have many windows.

 

ct1.thumb.jpg.e07a36c3776ef719533f996af43d7e83.jpg

 

 

Sweet! Is that a Chief window or something you created? Would love to know how you did that...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used a fixed glass window with everything turned off except the sash to make a symbol.

 

Then used a window with the sash turned off (maybe a pass through would be easier) for the window.

 

Manually placed the sash symbol in the opening.

 

Should work the same for the awning window, except the symbol would need to be tilted.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, solver said:

I used a fixed glass window with everything turned off except the sash to make a symbol.

 

Then used a window with the sash turned off (maybe a pass through would be easier) for the window.

 

Manually placed the sash symbol in the opening.

 

Should work the same for the awning window, except the symbol would need to be tilted.

 

Thank you. Not sure I can do that but I appreciate the effort to help me. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's really simple to do and learning to make symbols is a good skill to have. Lots that you can do with them.

 

This shows a symbol of the completed house, sitting on a blueprint of the house, in front of the house under construction. Yes, you can make a symbol of an entire structure.

 

Snap37.thumb.jpg.17417582f0a615602dce214a2b2bb3b8.jpg

 

Draw an exterior wall and place a fixed glass window in it.

 

Select the window and go through unchecking everything except the sash. No Frame, no Sill, no Casing etc.

 

Change the wall type to Room Divider. In a camera view all you should see is the sash. 

 

Tools>Symbol>Convert to Symbol. Choose Fixture, or Millwork. Check Add to Library and Show Advanced Options.

 

ct1.thumb.jpg.d3d2e42c11868c57800640f8b0d5fa33.jpg

 

When Advanced Options opens, give the symbol a name and click OK.

 

Go back to plan, select the symbol and place it somewhere. Back to camera view to see it.

 

Select it and resize it. You will need to set sizing options so it resizes correctly -- read in reference guide/help etc.

 

ct2.thumb.jpg.579d33f3b5e4afbc4627a9c0471a9012.jpg

 

For an Awning or Hopper window, the symbol needs to be tilted.

 

Play with this setting to get the correct angle.

 

ct3.thumb.jpg.7c494dc410bf7926efa3d3a03ea3d1b4.jpg

 

And you need to Open Symbol, not Open Object to access this dialog.

 

Post back with questions.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, solver said:

It's really simple to do and learning to make symbols is a good skill to have. Lots that you can do with them.

 

This shows a symbol of the completed house, sitting on a blueprint of the house, in front of the house under construction. Yes, you can make a symbol of an entire structure.

 

Snap37.thumb.jpg.17417582f0a615602dce214a2b2bb3b8.jpg

 

Draw an exterior wall and place a fixed glass window in it.

 

Select the window and go through unchecking everything except the sash. No Frame, no Sill, no Casing etc.

 

Set the wall to Invisible. In a camera view all you should see is the sash. 

 

Tools>Symbol>Convert to Symbol. Choose Fixture, or Millwork. Check Add to Library and Show Advanced Options.

 

ct1.thumb.jpg.d3d2e42c11868c57800640f8b0d5fa33.jpg

 

When Advanced Options opens, give the symbol a name and click OK.

 

Go back to plan, select the symbol and place it somewhere. Back to camera view to see it.

 

Select it and resize it. You will need to set sizing options so it resizes correctly -- read in reference guide/help etc.

 

ct2.thumb.jpg.579d33f3b5e4afbc4627a9c0471a9012.jpg

 

For an Awning or Hopper window, the symbol needs to be tilted.

 

Play with this setting to get the correct angle.

 

ct3.thumb.jpg.7c494dc410bf7926efa3d3a03ea3d1b4.jpg

 

And you need to Open Symbol, not Open Object to access this dialog.

 

Post back with questions.

 

Thank you so much! Unfortunately I can't get past the first step! :( Whenever I make the wall invisible, the window disappears. I thought it was something I unchecked in the window DBX so I tried placing a standard window but it disappeared with the wall too (see attached). What am I doing wrong?

 

(Also, when I uncheck everything in the window DBX, I do not see the sash in 3D. I only see a hole in the wall)

 

Thanks again, sorry for the trouble! BTW, the house on a house pic is cool!

 

5a060b18cbda5_Windowinwall.thumb.png.e1853ab7d8b4e6d6bf4b2c27663ba005.png  5a060b413aa98_Wallinvisible.thumb.png.7a111269f527f0cf56010fadd2c4797f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try changing the wall type to Room Divider.

 

Here is a plan with a window showing just the sash.

 

sash.plan

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, solver said:

Try changing the wall type to Room Divider.

 

Here is a plan with a window showing just the sash.

 

sash.plan

 

Thank you, yes your plan is just a sash. I'll continue with your instructions. (Room Divider didn't work for me either, wouldn't let me place a window, even after creating a room with them so they expand to 3-1/2")

 

THANK YOU AGAIN!! :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Insert window into regular wall and then convert to Room Divider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, solver said:

Try changing the wall type to Room Divider.

 

Here is a plan with a window showing just the sash.

 

sash.plan

 

Eric, looking through your plan, it looks like you placed the window in a user-defined wall, My Room Divider, with Insulation Air Space, 0" thickness. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2017 at 2:30 PM, solver said:

No bad to do manually if you don't have many windows.

 

ct1.thumb.jpg.e07a36c3776ef719533f996af43d7e83.jpg

 

 

Eric, so the window you posted here, the tilted sash is placed into a frame. I guess I need to figure out how to do that too. :wacko:

 

Did you place the tilted sash into a frame, then make that assembly a symbol? Or did you just place the sash into a pass-through window?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes. It's actually 1/1000 thick or something like that, but chief shows it as 0".

 

It's my default Room Divider, and seems to work better than the Chief supplied one.

 

Not sure if makes a difference in what you are doing.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, solver said:

Yes. It's actually 1/1000 thick or something like that, but chief shows it as 0".

 

It's my default Room Divider, and seems to work better than the Chief supplied one.

 

Not sure if makes a difference in what you are doing.

 

Great idea, I'm going to steal that one too. Not a fan of stock room divider. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chrisb222 said:

Did you place the tilted sash into a frame, then make that assembly a symbol? Or did you just place the sash into a pass-through window?

 

In my example, I used a window with the sash dimensions set to 0", but a pass through might work just as well.

 

The sash is independent from the window.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, solver said:

 

In my example, I used a window with the sash dimensions set to 0", but a pass through might work just as well.

 

The sash is independent from the window.

 

Great, thanks a million. Working with it now, practicing holding my mouth just right...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@solver

 

Thanks again Eric.

 

Thanks to your kind help I can now show my client what they want, and not have to make excuses why I can't. :)

 

5a061e6c257b6_OperableWindows.thumb.png.ba161648f6adfc6c19a0038c6302784a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2017 at 1:59 PM, Chrisb222 said:

way to show windows open like you can with doors.

Another way- this is a bit harder to set up but once done can be used to replace multiple identical windows at one time. (Can be pretty cool doing this live for a client:)

 

Make the "open"  window symbol as Eric describes but define it as Millwork but change the angle and origin of it.

The tricky part is finding the correct origins. I started with what I thought- then began adjusting the symbol in the library and dropping it on in 3D view.

 

I started with a standard casement window then added the millwork window as a shutter to only one side and adjusted the width of the shutter.

Then adjusted the symbol origins in the library and dragged onto a 3D view until it was correct.

Once I was happy with the placement of the open window (shutter) I changed the actual to a pass through (I don't know if that matters).

Add to library, change the name.

Then use replace from library to change the other windows.

If the width of the window changes then the width of the shutter must be changed in the DBX.

You can change a left opening to a right by reflecting it about itself.

It doesn't show open in plan view and I don't think you can access the CAD blocks to change them.

 

Awning window is similar but uses "exterior millwork above casing"  with similar finding correct origin difficulties. (trial and error) 

It appears that if the height of the window is changed the origin must change for the "open" awning window. A tad more difficult to use than the Casement.

EDIT Just saw that you are awnings are at the bottom- then I'd make the symbol with two windows, one open one closed. The rest is the same.

 

Plan with both types of window and two "open" symbols attached. Open the window DBXs to see what's going on and "open symbol" to see origins and such. 

It might be easier if the "open" symbols were made closer to the size needed to begin with but then again maybe not. I was just playing so did not fuss much once I had something.

screen.png

screen 010.png

screen 011.png

Open casements and awning.plan

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27475
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    slickrick1530
    Newest Member
    slickrick1530
    Joined