Callout Macro Greyed Out

Adam_Gibson

Anyone know why, when a Callout Specification DBX is open in an elevation, when I go the Text Below Line field and attempt to insert a macro using Global>Layout Info, the options are greyed out?  I thought it might be because I hadn't sent the elevation to layout, but the options are greyed out all the time. I'm trying to automate the callout to associate with the correct page in the layout. I assume I'm omitting a step, but I can't figure out which one. 

It's hard for me to tell why based on what you said.  I'm assuming that you just put a Callout in the Elevation View and want that to show the Layout Sheet where the view is located.  That actually doesn't make much sense to me because it would only show up on that Layout Sheet anyway.

IAE, Generally, macros are "Greyed Out" in a view because they would generate an error. 

OTOH, in the case of the "Global" macros it may be that CA has just decided that the macro isn't valid for that view.

They may or may not be correct in that assumption.

The only places the Global>Layout Macros are valid is on the Layout Page (Text Objects including Layout Box Labels) and in Camera Callouts in the Plan.  They are not valid in most Plan views because the Plan doesn't know what Layout File or Page the view has been sent to. 

Hi, Joe,

At the Users' Group meeting in August, it was pointed out that there is a way to automatically link elevation callouts to plan callouts. I've known that the bottom line populates correctly in the plan, based on where one places the elevation in the layout. E.G.: if I move the elevation to a different page, the plan callout changes automatically. But I've always (and continue to) enter the corresponding information in the elevation callout manually. For the life of me, I can't remember how it was done automatically. But thanks for the response. Hopefully, someone from the meeting was taking better notes than I!

2 hours ago, Adam_Gibson said:

At the Users' Group meeting in August, it was pointed out that there is a way to automatically link elevation callouts to plan callouts.

I wasn't there but someone else had asked about this not long ago and I was interested. I checked the ref manual and it lists this as something that can be done. Just ran some tests. What I found so far is-it works only for section elevation NOT for backclipped sections (which I use almost exclusively :(  Second it appears to only work IF the label for the layout page is simple text IOW not a macro so it does not then give automatic page numbering -at least that's all I've been able to get to work??? For it to be useful it should work with automatic page numbers?

3 hours ago, Adam_Gibson said:

Hi, Joe,

At the Users' Group meeting in August, it was pointed out that there is a way to automatically link elevation callouts to plan callouts. I've known that the bottom line populates correctly in the plan, based on where one places the elevation in the layout. E.G.: if I move the elevation to a different page, the plan callout changes automatically. But I've always (and continue to) enter the corresponding information in the elevation callout manually. For the life of me, I can't remember how it was done automatically. But thanks for the response. Hopefully, someone from the meeting was taking better notes than I!

Just taking a wild stab... but are you referring to a camera callout of the elevation view and showing correctly in a plan view?  Where the page is automatically changed depending on the page the viewport is on?  I think I remember you and I briefly talking about that at the UGM....but don't remember for sure.

4 hours ago, Adam_Gibson said:

that there is a way to automatically link elevation callouts to plan callouts.

Attached is a quick layout and plan-got it to work on both elevations and backclipped sections BUT only if the layout page label is text. I can't figure out a macro that works-maybe Joe or Michael who are better versed in the dark arts than me.

Callout Test.zip

I'm not 100% sure I follow what you guys are talking about and it sounds like there might be a few different subjects being mixed up here, but here are a couple thoughts in case they help. 

RE: the camera callouts in plan view...If you want the layout page number to automatically populate the callout label in plan then all you need to do is place the # sign in your layout page label.  You can just do this in Mark's example files to test it out. 

RE: the callouts placed in elevation views...As Joe already kinda pointed out, those global layout info macros don't work in the plan because they're not valid in the plan.  There is no layout info for them to use.  Those macros can only be used in layout where they're actually valid. 

15 hours ago, jbaehmer said:

Just taking a wild stab... but are you referring to a camera callout of the elevation view and showing correctly in a plan view?  Where the page is automatically changed depending on the page the viewport is on?  I think I remember you and I briefly talking about that at the UGM....but don't remember for sure.

Yes, I mentioned it. It was a revelation because I always have to make sure I'm referring to the correct layout page when I draw a callout on an elevation. 

22 minutes ago, Adam_Gibson said:

Yes, I mentioned it. It was a revelation because I always have to make sure I'm referring to the correct layout page when I draw a callout on an elevation. 

ok.  Then open the camera view and in the "text below line" check "automatic".  As long as the view is sent to layout, a number will show up there.  If the view is not, it will be blank.

Capture.PNG

1 minute ago, jbaehmer said:

ok.  Then open the camera view and in the "text below line" check "automatic".  As long as the view is sent to layout, a number will show up there.  If the view is not, it will be blank.

Capture.PNG

That only works in plan. Not in elevation. That's the bummer!

Adam,

I'm still trying to understand the "Callout" in an Elevation.  As stated previously, only "Camera Callouts" have the ability to recognize the Layout which the view has been sent to.  Since general "Callouts" don't reference another view, there simply isn't anything for them to use.

Can you please show a pic (even of what you do manually) to explain what you are trying to do?

OK, If I assume (probably a mistake on my part) that you want to display a Callout matching a "Cross Section Camera Callout" from a Plan View in an Elevation and have it display the same data as it does in the Plan - then what you really need is the ability to display that "Camera Callout" in the Elevation.  That would be nice but wouldn't work unless the Cross Section Camera was on a single plane perpendicular to the Elevation (no offsets in Plan).

Currently, Chief doesn't allow us to display the "Cross Section Camera" in any views except the Plan Views.

Chief hasn't provided Callouts for "Details" in Elevations.  It would be a nice addition.

Stated better than I! I'm looking for something on the elevation to point back to the floor plan. I want a two-way street. So if someone opens up, say, a page 13 cross section without having looked at the plan first, there would be a callout below it that points to where that camera (callout) is placed in the plan.

52 minutes ago, Adam_Gibson said:

I want a two-way street.

You can get two way jumps using BlueBeam or any pdf software that lets you place hyperlinks. Is that something that you are looking for? attached pdf from the tests I ran. Label for each elevation will jump to a window on the floor plan, label for each callout on the plan will jump to the page that the elevation/section is on. Should work in any pdf reader (tested in Adobe Reader) Of course this doesn't work in print.

Callout test.pdf