Adjusting Soffits.

Canuck

I have a client that wants his soffits pulled back to the gable line and the gable (barge) overhang to extend out 24". Gable overhang isn't the issue, it's the soffit. How do I pull it back even with the walls?

so exposed Rafter Tails and Lookouts ?   

don't build soffits on the build roof DBX ?

DJP has a video here : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNgz1TJ8TLk

or try turning off Eaves in the display options ? make the material for eaves >"Opening-no material" depending on what you want to achieve....

other vids

http://www.chieftutor.com/roof/rafter.html

Scott has vids there too....

http://www.chieftutor.com/scotthall4/

Not quite that simple Mick! That's the first step, but then all the soffits are sloped. In my image, the soffits are level, except on the gable ends (well I fake it, but that's what I want to show anyway!).

My method:

1. Uncheck boxed eaves

2. Extend the attic walls manually on the corners of the gable ends to the edge of the roof plane

3. Add a piece of trim at fascia level. I use a slab, but you could use a solid or a molding.

4. Take camera views that don't show that the rest of the soffits are really sloped!  :D

post-108-0-23537200-1405026393_thumb.pngpost-108-0-23620200-1405026429_thumb.png

It would be nice if we had an option for this style of boxed eave in the roof dbx. I see houses built like this a lot up here, so I'm definitely not the only one that would benefit from this.

I believe there have been several threads on this.  a solution is two roof planes.  One for the gable end without boxed eave and the other a roof plane over main portion of the house with a soffit.

I am not sure if the results are that great.

You would definitely have extra lines on the roof plan with that method. Myself... not a fan of that. But to each their own!

With your method the cross section is wrong.  Pick your poison,  not a super solution available.

With your method the cross section is wrong.  Pick your poison,  not a super solution available.

True enough! I almost always end up converting my sections to cad details (for many reasons), so I forgot about that.

Gave it a try and I'm not happy with any of the results. So I guess I'll just clean it up in ACAD. I usually export my CA to CAD and place everything on a sheet there. I'm not a huge fan of the CA CAD tools and I'm pretty particular about my end results.  ;)

Anyway, thanks for posting your fixes guys for this but I really think CA should be the one's to action this. This is a pretty common detail on houses all over the world. :wacko:

I certainly didn't get that from the OP's question :) , and in your 1st image Levis I don't see a flat soffit behind, just the Gable trim-board which I'd use a Soffit for probably (or 2 for shadow-lines)

The Roof would be trusses ( no overhangs) sitting on top of the beams in the real world , so the soffit /porch ceiling would be flat , so I guess Chief isn't modelling the bottom of the flat truss outside the beam for some reason and still following the Roof slope..... needs to go on the BUG list I guess ,assuming you are framed with Trusses not Rafters, cos the trusses are getting cut off by the soffit in that case.

Mick

Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm looking at recording this one and linking it to older requests as well.

Do you have a term or name for this style? I feel as though I've heard it called a few different things in the past, each of which have slipped my mind at the moment.

Please share the names you know this sort of soffit transition to be called and I will make certain it is documented.

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm looking at recording this one and linking it to older requests as well.

Do you have a term or name for this style? I feel as though I've heard it called a few different things in the past, each of which have slipped my mind at the moment.

Please share the names you know this sort of soffit transition to be called and I will make certain it is documented.

Thanks!

Adrean, I made the following suggestion after we had this discussion.

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/index.php?/topic/1478-boxed-eave-options-for-eave-and-gable-end-intersections/

Not sure If I have ever heard a name for where the Raked gable soffit runs into the Flat Eave soffit  ( boxed eave per Chief )  But as Levis has said it is a pretty Common detail these days so would be nice to automate  

M.

I would call it "delete pork chop," because the boxed soffit extension from gable wall to rake is called a pork chop in some locales.

What is being described here is a deleted one. I've built the condition in Chief using separate adjoining roof planes for the gable overhangs, as Scott describes.

That appears to be the only way of doing it Gene, but why should we have to do this when a "Reduced Gable End Soffit" is common. There should be a way for the software guys to make this happen. The sooner the better as far as I'm concerned.