pounamu

Monitor for laptop (Macbook Pro)

Recommended Posts

Hi All

Some quick advice. I've been using my 15 inch Macbook Pro as my primary workhorse for two years and putting up with the small screen, but now want to buy a larger monitor to use with it. I'm looking at  a LG 31.5" MP58 Full HD IPS Monitor. Here is a link. American readers, look and gasp at the Australian price:) 

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/lg-31-5-mp58-full-hd-ips-monitor.html

 

I'm not a gamer, am not fussed about 100% colour rendering, don't do much ray-tracing in CA, and don't plan to watch TV or DVD's on it. This monitor has 5 or 6ms refresh rate (I recall this was pretty good a few years ago?... maybe showing my age) and a screen resolution of 1920 x 1080. I reckon it will do the job for me, but before I make the purchase, any comments or advice? Should I look at something else for the price?

I've added a picture of the system specs, including graphics card......59745c92ade45_ScreenShot2017-07-23at6_19_18pm.thumb.png.add31ad39ee8335c3b9196f326fd1e16.png

Cheers

Ross

Edited by pounamu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use the BenQ 32" BL3200PT have done for 2 years , it is a great monitor , in fact I just got a 2nd with a bunch of visa Rewards Points. Color is excellent

just funnily enough DON'T use the CAD/CAM mode , it is horrible colour wise, but I can post User Mode settings if you buy one. Benq has a newer Model

now which is why I was able to get a 2nd at a reduced price ,but at least here , I still see it available occasionally.  It is 2560x1440 or QHD resolution , I found for me that 4K meant many things were too small but that was 2 years ago and Win10 and many programs have likely updated since then.

 

http://www.benq.com.au/product/monitor/bl3200pt/specifications/

 

This is the newer Full 4k  model

http://www.benq.com.au/product/monitor/bl3201pt

 

found some Oz pricing ($499 lowest) if you can find one in stock... which is about the same as here

https://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=Benq BL3200PT&spos=5

 

just ran into another post , Steve-C is using the Benq with an Imac here

 

 

Edited by Kbird1
link to another forum post added

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Chopsaw, I thought about the wider 21:9 screen ratio. The benefit of that would be that this monitor will be shared by my partner who looks at documents rather than drawings and it would suit her to look at several pages side by side. I can't get my head around the idea of a curved screen.... maybe too long looking at a flat drawing board in the past.

 

Mick, that is a good suggestion and link. There is the Benq monitor at $499 as you say. Its a demo model but that doesn't worry me too much. New price for new for BENQ BL 3200PT 32" seems to be about AU$700 to AU$800.

Cheers

Ross

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2017 at 11:47 AM, Kbird1 said:

I use the BenQ 32" BL3200PT have done for 2 years , it is a great monitor , in fact I just got a 2nd with a bunch of visa Rewards Points. Color is excellent

just funnily enough DON'T use the CAD/CAM mode , it is horrible colour wise, but I can post User Mode settings if you buy one. Benq has a newer Model

now which is why I was able to get a 2nd at a reduced price ,but at least here , I still see it available occasionally.  It is 2560x1440 or QHD resolution , I found for me that 4K meant many things were too small but that was 2 years ago and Win10 and many programs have likely updated since then.

 

http://www.benq.com.au/product/monitor/bl3200pt/specifications/

 

This is the newer Full 4k  model

http://www.benq.com.au/product/monitor/bl3201pt

 

found some Oz pricing ($499 lowest) if you can find one in stock... which is about the same as here

https://www.staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=Benq BL3200PT&spos=5

 

just ran into another post , Steve-C is using the Benq with an Imac here

 

 

 

Yes that is the BenQ monitor I have and it is an excellent monitor. I have run my Macbook pro on it as also and it does admirably consider it has integrated graphics. I'm about to purchase the Kaby Lake Macbook Pro with the Radeon 560, I'm sure it will be quite an improvement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Steve-C said:

 

Yes that is the BenQ monitor I have and it is an excellent monitor. I have run my Macbook pro on it as also and it does admirably consider it has integrated graphics. I'm about to purchase the Kaby Lake Macbook Pro with the Radeon 560, I'm sure it will be quite an improvement.

 

I plan on doing the same. I'm currently running Chief on what  many would consider an antique ....a mid-2009 macbook pro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Steve-C said:

 

Yes that is the BenQ monitor I have and it is an excellent monitor. I have run my Macbook pro on it as also and it does admirably consider it has integrated graphics. I'm about to purchase the Kaby Lake Macbook Pro with the Radeon 560, I'm sure it will be quite an improvement.

 

Yes I am happy with mine too, set up in USER Mode for Colour Temps/Gamma etc and it looks nice. 

 

I then use DisplayCal (free prog) to Calibrate it with my i1 Display 2 light Meter. (puck) 

 

https://displaycal.net/

 

M.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, thanks everyone who answered, I'll go with the BENQ monitor. 

Regards

Ross

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I use a 37" TV set to 1080P resolution

 

I can't use higher resolution due to eyes

 

looks great and much cheaper then a dedicated PC monitor

 

Lew

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, pounamu said:

OK, thanks everyone who answered, I'll go with the BENQ monitor. 

Regards

Ross

 

Read the Online Reviews Ross , and use their Settings as OOB , the Colour Etc is not great.  eg gamma is too high...set it at 1. and don't use the Presets just set it up in User Mode.

 

Also for me I had to set the DisplayPort in the Monitor Menu to use DP 1.2 to get it to work properly

 

TFTCentral always has good reviews worth reading ....

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/benq_bl3200pt.htm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

  • Member Statistics

    27345
    Total Members
    6254
    Most Online
    greglocke
    Newest Member
    greglocke
    Joined