BASE CABINET | BOX CONSTRUCTION

interiorarch

Hello.

Please see attached images for reference.

I am trying to create two separate base cabinets that feature 1" stiles around the entire face frame.  However, when two separate base cabinets are place side by side, there should still be 1" instead of 2" in the center.  What might be a way to solve this.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank You!

BASE_CABINET_BOX_CONSTRUCTION.png

BASE_CABINET_BOX_CONSTRUCTION_2.png

A config like this would be built as Michael has described.  One wide cabinet, face frame elements all 1" width.

Think about two boxes joined.  The sides of the carcases meeting would have to be something like 3/8" plywood.  Never done like that.

2 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

A config like this would be built as Michael has described.  One wide cabinet, face frame elements all 1" width.

Think about two boxes joined.  The sides of the carcases meeting would have to be something like 3/8" plywood.  Never done like that.

That is absolutely correct

unless you are producing a schedule to be used to order cabinets AND whoever you order them from wants them listed individually as "combined" cabinets. I deal with makers who want them listed that way (and one who lists them as the total instead). When we need two cabinets we size each correctly and then force them to overlap so that the sizes read in correctly in the schedule.

Note that inset cabinets with 1" stiles as drawn it's likely that something out of the ordinary be done to make hidden hinges work. Even exposed hinges would require specific ones to be used that are not all that common. The only inset with 1" stiles I've done had ALL drawers and pullouts which avoided the problem- we did the wall cabinets as full overlay.

I'd talk to the maker to make sure I was happy with how that was being done before going too far.