jlcDesign

converting a garage into living space

Hey everyone.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom for how to bend CA to our will regarding adding a floor system above an existing garage slab?  Whether that be hanging a joist system on the wall and supporting with LVLs below, or even ripping sleepers and putting CDX over it?  It's technically two floor systems.  Am I explaining this right?  I know I can do this with poly-lines, and maybe that's the answer.  I figured one of you pointy-heads out there has already figured it out.  Thanks a million!

Use a 2nd floor -- 2nd level, so the garage ceiling is very short.

20 minutes ago, jlcDesign said:

Hey everyone.  Does anyone have any words of wisdom for how to bend CA to our will regarding adding a floor system above an existing garage slab?  Whether that be hanging a joist system on the wall and supporting with LVLs below, or even ripping sleepers and putting CDX over it?  It's technically two floor systems.  Am I explaining this right?  I know I can do this with poly-lines, and maybe that's the answer.  I figured one of you pointy-heads out there has already figured it out.  Thanks a million!

Yes,  the sleepers should be part of THE FLOOR FINISH,  not part of THE STRUCTURE.

adding a floor is asking for trouble,   Sorry Eric,   A non-starter for me.

think about it.....  it is a FINISH.

• Upvote 2

I've done it like Scott suggested by adding 3 layers to the Floor finish ...rigid foam, 2x6 joist (could be less or more)  and 3/4" ply...

Capture11.JPG

• Upvote 1

We typically pour a new slab over the existing garage floor slab and level with the house or curb. if it's a raised floor house, then I add new floor joists level with the house and piers for support. for slab floor you could just use the slab tool over the existing also.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

We typically pour a new slab over the existing garage floor slab and level with the house or curb. if it's a raised floor house, then I add new floor joists level with the house and piers for support. for slab floor you could just use the slab tool over the existing also.

Yeah,  that works.  I am working on a house with slab.  2 areas need to be raised,  one by 6" the other by 12".  I chose the sleeper method for this project.  A slab for the 6" dropped area could work.  

Project in Solana Beach.....  dld I ever say how much I hate working in Solana Beach?  I do not think I will ever do another house in Solana Beach.....  

• Upvote 1

In real life we hung joists so that the new floor was even with the house floor

so raised off slab by about 2'

my goal was to have all floors inside the house at the same level

so I could use a wheelchair or powerchair in the future if needed

Lew

Awesome stuff guys!  Thanks for all the input.  I like the thick floor idea.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    danmor
    Newest Member
    danmor

• By RichM1
      Summary: We're creating a vaulted tray ceiling in a house that started as a double-wide mobile home. I want to model the existing "trusses" so that I can figure out how to do the rafters to frame out the new ceiling. I cannot figure out how to do this though. 

Details: 
      This house started out as a double-wide mobile home. It's been remodeled several times, huge portions added, walls rebuilt in places, rooms moved, walls removed. But the roof structure through the middle of the house is a 2.5/12 pitch, framed as follows: 2x2 rafter, 2x2 joist, 16" OC, with 12" pieces of 1/4" paneling used as gussets every 12". The tall wall has 1/2" plywood as a ridge beam.  I attached a drawing that shows each side. 

I tried changing the rafter and joist settings to 1.5" x 1.5", but it insists on building roof framing with 6" rafters floating above the walls, and framing the tall wall with studs that are in the room wall below. 

I tried to manually draw the framing in like the CAD detail drawing I attached, but I can't figure out how to rotate the 2x2 rafter to the 2.5/12 pitch angle. I figured I'd draw one "truss" manually, and then replicate/copy it across every 16". But after about 6 hours (admittedly I'm new to this app) I still couldn't figure it out. 

I put both sides together, and added the 2x6 rafters and 2x4 cross brace. Then we plan to cut the trusses back flush with the rafters and brace. The wall will be coming out of the middle. There's no code here, unincorporated county, so no building inspection to send this through.

Is there a way I can take this CAD drawing and use it for the actual rafters - extrude the 2D shapes into 3D? 

• By Texas_Chief_Pros
      Tutoring Services Architectural Drafting and Detailing Reinforced Concrete Drafting and Design Structural Drafting Services Architectural Presentation Drawings Floor Plan Drafting Services Landscape CAD Drawings Services CAD Conversion Services Kitchen and Bath Remodels 3D Design Services Rendering Services Tiny Home Design

• By CharlesVolz
      OK guys, Kerry Francis of Garage Door Wizard fame emailed me over the weekend and said that he does not plan on improving the program because the demand does warrant the work required. 

However, he is allowing me to sell Version 2.10.0025 of the program that works on with Chief Architect Premier X9 and Windows 10. To keep the cost and trouble down, I will sell the program for Kerry on the honor system. You send me $20 via PayPal to CVRE@sbcglobal.net and I will forward you the program via email. No sharing, warranty, no returns, no crying, no whining. Please let the rest of us know if it works or not on your computer setup by posting on this thread so others can decide whether to buy. 

Upgrades are $20 also since there is no way to monitor registered users. Kerry said that the price back in the day was $35. So it is a good deal. Kerry was nice enough to allow me to distribute this because some of us asked for it. I am just trying to contribute to you guys and gals on the forum who have helped me by participating on the forum.

Regards,
      Charles
    • By JeremyNeilKelly
      Design Associate for Residential Remodeling
      Neil Kelly Company, a 70-year-old, family-owned residential remodeling contractor, has an opening for detail-oriented Design Associate in our Seattle operations. Our projects include whole house remodels, additions, kitchens, baths and residential retrofits related to energy efficiency, and more. Successful candidates with have experience drafting in Chief Architect / AutoCAD, materials research, taking job site measurements, estimating and project scheduling. Neil Kelly Design Associates are key to facilitating the design-build process, and must have the ability to draft and render with both the clients’ and builders’ perspectives in mind.

Check us out at www.neilkelly.com
      Apply at www.neilkelly.com/careers/

• By ChiefArchitect
      From the doorway of the front bedroom there is easy bathroom access and even space for a built-in bookcase in the hall between.
      To create the interesting shadowing effect in renderings like these, we ensure that a Sun Angle is defined, and check our Lighting Sets for different light sources.