Unique Trapezoids, Casement Hinge Side in Window Schedule

Chrisb222

Hi all,

First post, I'm a design/build homebuilder and have been using CA7 for 1-1/2 years, and really love this program.

I've only recently started exploring window and door schedules and automatic window and door labeling. I should've been using it sooner as I was hand-labeling like I did in the days before CA, but I'm a slow learner and it takes time finding all the new gems to make my time designing better and more rewarding.

Anyway, the lake house I'm currently working on has casement windows on the back cathedral with trapezoid transoms above. The "problem" I'm having is that Chief wants to label two trapezoids as the same window number, even though they're mirror images of each other, and also wants to label two casements the same although they have opposite hinge sides.

Anyone know of a way to continue using the "Group Similar Objects" option in the Window Schedule Specifications DBX and also have these items correctly listed separately? In X7, at least?

Picture attached showing the two issues...

windows.thumb.jpg.665baa596a355d00172bfd895bb257bf.jpg

Thanks!

-Chris

Tried changing lots of stuff, it only works when that same information is also included in the Schedule, like specifying "Tempered" in the window specs (as long as "Tempered" is included in the Schedule), or "Manufacturer" in the "Components" DBX. When I deleted "Tempered" and "Manufacturer" from the Schedule, it reverted to the same window number as the mirror image...

Give the two windows a specific label.  Open the dbx and under label, set it to specify.  Call one "left" and the other "right".  They will then show up as different windows in the schedule and the size will still show as the same.

14 minutes ago, javatom said:

Give the two windows a specific label.  Open the dbx and under label, set it to specify.  Call one "left" and the other "right".  They will then show up as different windows in the schedule and the size will still show as the same.

Similar but less safer- specify label, insert, object specific, % automatic_label%, then just add a space. All information will be correct even with changes. Course you could add L or R instead of a space if it suits. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, javatom said:

Yep, that worked! Thank you so much!

Of course, it would be nice if CA recognized that casement windows with opposing hinge sides should automatically be considered unique schedule items so I wouldn't have to individually specify a custom label......

59 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Similar but less safer- specify label, insert, object specific, % automatic_label%, then just add a space. All information will be correct even with changes. Course you could add L or R instead of a space if it suits. 

Thank you for the suggestion. But you lost me at "then just add a space." I understand everything up until that, but I'm not sure what that means...

7 hours ago, Chrisb222 said:

Tried changing lots of stuff, it only works when that same information is also included in the Schedule, like specifying "Tempered" in the window specs (as long as "Tempered" is included in the Schedule), or "Manufacturer" in the "Components" DBX. When I deleted "Tempered" and "Manufacturer" from the Schedule, it reverted to the same window number as the mirror image...

Mark's idea is a very good solution but I would argue that you probably SHOULD have something unique in your schedule that distinguishes the difference between those 2 windows or else your schedule isn't fully doing it's job.  That's just my opinion though.

Now, having said that, Chief does have one major flaw in this particular area.  It does not seem to recognize differences in 3D views even when a 3D view column is added to the schedule.  I've had problems with this myself in the past.  For example, I could have a left hand casement and a right hand casement that are otherwise identical.  If I opt not to include hinge information in any of my columns but rather chose to use a 3D elevation view to get the information across instead...I get 2 of the same window instead of 2 different windows.  This should not be so.