Entire 1St Floor Shifted

mslewis620

Everyone on this forum is so helpful.

In the midst of my dash to get my plans completed the entire 1st floor shifted which affected all of the layout pages etc. The engineer was able to use previous files but no one noticed that it shifted the building footprint on the site print. Have to really know the layout to even see it but the setbacks are all wrong because of it. There was a roof problem that had to be resolved so I have to resubmit Monday before building code changes on Tuesday. Because the alignment shifted I have all of these attic walls that shouldn't be there. I thought I had everything back where it belonged but apparently not.

Any easy fix to get things back to where they should be? Lots of detail has been added to the plan and redoing all of that would take hours. 

And if anyone knows what could have happened so I can prevent it in the future would be helpful!

Martha

Martha:

for almost a decade I have been asking for "wall locks"

but so far the powers to be consider the concept ridiculous

was it user error - maybe ?  probably ?

however, it doesn't matter....

once an area is competed  it would be nice if it could be "locked"

such that a warning would be issued if Chief "needed" to move them

this warning could be a preference item for those who don't need warnings

for some a warning could be a lifesaver

Lew

Thanks Chiefer- I thought about archives but I worked on the roof and foundation plans extensively before realizing something had shifted. I'll check - I thought about just moving everything back but worried I will miss something and create a bigger mess.

Lew- I agree but it seems the faster you need something finished the more problems you have - Murphy's law.

You can use the edit area tool to grab what you need and move it all to the correct location. Use the point to point tool for the move. The edit area tool has options for selection criteria.

As far as to why this happened it is referred to as a U18. That is a problem with the User about 18" away from the monitor.

The archive files were no help. Too much detail missing from the non-corrupt plan.

So I've been using the edit area tool but having difficulty selecting only what I need - tried turning off some layers to better grab things. Most of it has worked and the rest is arrows point to the wrong thing so easier to delete and redo so in the right spot. It was a framing plan with shear wall details for an addition/remodel - new framing manually drawn in addition areas,callout text, stairs, railings were shifted to the left but the walls and windows were in the right spot. All of the arrows are wonky. 

Going to reference manual to read up on edit area tool.

Thanks for the advice!

While edit area can work - it can also "miss things"

so verify - verify - verify

one project I remember having to add 2' to the middle of the house

edit area did the job fairly well - but still needed manual cleanup and verification

on all three floors

good luck

Lew

Glenn:

yes, I have advocated for a wall lock and floor lock for a long time and will continue to do so

I know you disagree but I can only hope that CA will do this some version

I no longer post my suggestions but wait until someone else has the issue then I chime in

this way its not "just me" :)

Lew

• Upvote 1