Chief X9 is slow for me

AvoyeDesign

Since upgrading to X9, and after installing all the current updates, chief seems to run incredibly slow for me.  I'm not sure if it is like that for you all or perhaps my aging system (5 years old.)  

System Specs:

64 bit system

AMD PhenomII X4 955 @ 3.2 GHz

8GB Ram

AMD Radeon HD 5700 Video Card

When switching between open views and plans, I usually suffer a 2-5 second delay, sometimes up to 10 seconds.  When the program has been running for a while, that delay can get to be 15 seconds or longer.  Opening an object dialogue can take 2-3 seconds on average.  This is becoming frustrating and time consuming, and is a drain on productivity for me.  I am due for a new system, but just wanted to see if it is just me.

Thanks.

Do you have your views sent to layout set as "always update", if so try to turn those off in all your views. another thing is do you have the layout and the plan open all the time? Close the layout when working on the plan. Those things might help. Other things might be how big is your plan, or do you have a symbol that is large or corrupt, lots of round railing can also do it , if so just turn them off when working on your plan. Not sure about your video card, I always use NVidia. Good luck, post the plan so I can test it on my machine.

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Do you have your views sent to layout set as "always update", if so try to turn those off in all your views. another thing is do you have the layout and the plan open all the time? Close the layout when working on the plan. Those things might help. Other things might be how big is your plan, or do you have a symbol that is large or corrupt, lots of round railing can also do it , if so just turn them off when working on your plan. Not sure about your video card, I always use NVidia. Good luck, post the plan so I can test it on my machine.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't use the "always update" for layout views, namely elevations and cross sections, because I only use the "plot lines" setting.  I honestly haven't found any use for the "always update" option.  I'm open to ideas, but I really don't see how to find it useful, as it is only an image, not plot lines.

I always have the layout view open, and I cannot imagine working without it open.  This was never really a problem for me until X9.

I work with plans ranging from small to very large, and I do notice the larger ones tend to lag more.  Use standard chief symbols.  Rarely do curved walls or railings.

I don't have a specific plan that I consider problematic, so I don't think sending you a plan will help.

Would you consider upgrading your machine? I find that it's necessary every couple of years, especially when Chief comes out with a new version. And I agree with Perry to stick with NVidia. Usually a gaming graphics card works well with Chief. Once I spent a $1k on a workstation graphics card at someone's advice, and it turned out that a $400 card was much faster for Chief. If you do an upgrade, don't do an integrated graphics card (you probably already know this). 

Rod

I have just had to update my computer due to similar lags, my computer was 5 years old also. Each new version seems to stress the computer more mainly due to new functionality so hardware needs to be kept up to date.

Also after 5 years there is all sorts of **** that gathers in the system.

My old system was very similar to yours with an AMD phenom 980.

1 hour ago, DRAWZILLA said:

You could also clean your computer and registry, just in case you have too much junk in the trunk. I do it every week. I use Ccleaner.

I'm pretty sure the problem is that my system specs and age are falling far behind X9's demand.  I upgraded from X4 to X9 and I noticed quite a difference in performance and speed.  X4 continues to run relatively smooth, while X9 is laggy and slow.  I just wanted to make sure it wasn't what everyone was experiencing with X9 before I went out and bought a new system.

Do you have your views sent to layout set as "always update"

Not to get off subject... but I usually keep at least a dozen or more 3d camera views (in layout) set as always update...

A long story short, Chief crashes, or should I say, locks up very often, and it never auto save the plan (only the layout)  Never happened in X8 .

It always happens after rapid fire changes or zooming in and out. ....Graphics card is up to date, and has plenty of memory.

If you haven't done a search for other threads discussing Chief running slow (there's been many), you might call Tech Support.  They are there to help you with these types of problems and I've always found them to be very helpful.

3 hours ago, VHampton said:

Not to get off subject... but I usually keep at least a dozen or more 3d camera views (in layout) set as always update...

A long story short, Chief crashes, or should I say, locks up very often, and it never auto save the plan (only the layout)  Never happened in X8 .

It always happens after rapid fire changes or zooming in and out. ....Graphics card is up to date, and has plenty of memory.

I would say your video card is a little old, but because it is , try turning off the always update and see.  You know you can always update everything in the layout by hitting one button on the layout, its the update all views button.

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

I would say your video card is a little old, but because it is , try turning off the always update and see.  You know you can always update everything in the layout by hitting one button on the layout, its the update all views button.

Thanks Perry. I thought pretty much the same thing.

Updating every single viewport in real time, is probably asking way too much of the graphics card. This is a good solution, and I will definitely give it a shot. ...it's probably time to buy a new desktop anyway...